“Good restaurant with nice people watching” 4 of 5 bubbles

Atmosphere Cafe
Ranked #861 of 1,866 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: Italian, French, European
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Minneapolis
“Good restaurant with nice people watching”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Since this restaurant is located at the beginning of the Cours Saleya you'll see all the people walking past the restaurant and the cars trying to get to the underground parking. A hostess stands outside the restaurant near a large sign that contained the menu and the days specials. We decided to stop because we were tempted by all the people eating mussels and frites outside. As soon as we were seated a server came right away to get our drink and food order. We had steak au poivre, mussels and frites, and profiteroles with chocolate for dessert.

Steak au poivre is a classic French bistro dish. The steak was cooked well, but was kind of fatty. It had a poivre sauce on top. The sauce wasn't bad, it just wasn't memorable. The plate also had some nicely crisp frites.

The mussels were steamed with celery, garlic, parsley, and onion. They were large, fresh and quite good, which explains why so many people were eating it. The frites came in a separate small metal bucket and were fried nicely.

The profiteroles were really cold and had hard ice cream in the center. It had chocolate all over the top and some whipped cream on the side of the plate. Profiteroles are usually cold, but these were rock hard. I wasn't expecting that when I bit into them. We had to wait a few minutes before we could continue eating them.

Overall, the food was good. I would come back for the mussels and frites and the people watching.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
“A must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went here with my girlfriend on our 1st trip abroad together. Went here to eat on night one and kept on going back throughout our stay in Nice. Staff were very friendly. Even got a free glass of wine each from the owner on our last visit. Food was excellent and very tasty. Location is excellent for the buzz of the nightlife. A must visit restaurant in Place Messana

“Rude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The service was really rude. Agressive, ignorant and even a bit hostile to some other guests. Food was okay, but nothing more. And considered the prices, value is pretty poor at best. The ice tea for instance was €4,50. Just walk past.

2 Thank appelkaas
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Standard tourist fare and a tad chaotic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Big plates of pasta.....I needed to season it myself although there was plenty of shell fish in the special.....the shami sushi was lightly smoked salmon and again lacked flavour.....Local wine a fine choice as its all palatable......we left full, happy but uninspired by the service given the slightest request seemed to confuse or seem a hindrance.....won't be going back and more expensive than rival tourist spots that do a much better job......

1 Thank Steve R
Vancouver, Canada
“TOURIST TRAP STAY FAR AWAY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were walking back to our hotel when my mom spotted this restaurant that had alot of customers out on the patio. I was reluctant to sit and eat at this restaurant because it was clear that a majority of the customers were tourists. Unfortunately, the blonde hostess quickly spotted us and led my mom to a table even though I was extremely unwilling. She mentioned that their menu was in multiple languages (greater than 3) which set off an alarm in my head cause that typically means it caters towards tourists. My mom and dad told me to give it a try so I reluctantly sat down. The waiter was fluent in English which was nice but confirmed my suspicions. At first, the service was okay but it went downhill from there.

Long story short, when we got the bill, they overcharged us for items that we never ordered but which they justified we did. That was a complete lie straight to our faces. They thought that because I was Asian I couldn't read French even though I've had 5 years of French training in speaking and reading. Three of us ordered the set menu and my mother ordered one dish. Thus, we clearly knew the price of our meal. The waiter gave us a receipt that charged for two extra items that were written in French (to confuse tourists and thus verifying my suspicions that this was indeed a trap). The waiter even insisted that it was our fault and that we didn't order from the set menu and thus charged us for 2 extra expensive items. This is completely unacceptable and unprofessional. After arguing, he then gave us another receipt that was 10 euros more expensive than the previous. Again, we argued and he finally brought us the correct total.

He then took my father's credit card and swiped it multiple times quickly so that the card didn't have time to process and thus was rejected each time. He did this 4 times to make us look bad as if my father couldn't afford the meal and that we were trying to get a free dinner. My father proceeded to pull out his Infinite card and then it finally went through.

The waiter even had the nerve to ASK for tips after all this hassle. Europe has all their tips already INCLUDED in the price of the food. They clearly thought we had no idea about how European culture worked. They tried to take advantage of us for Euros that they could have earned from honest work.

Food was expensive for it's poor quality.

Conclusion: STAY AWAY IF YOU SPEAK ENGLISH AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND OR READ FRENCH. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME OR MONEY. I will NEVER be back.

• Visited May 2013