“Pur bonheur”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was my 3rd visit to flaveur and I can gladly say, deffinately not the last. So many differtents colours, textures and savours, its like a never ending story. I discover something new every visit. My favourite for this visit would be the risotto and the rose lychee.Thinking again, no, too difficult to choose a favourite. The wine served with each dish is a perfect match. I highly recommend a visit to ´Flaveur' . Looking forward to my next visit. Merci

1  Thank lodeB26
There are newer reviews for Flaveur

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Whether it's jazz, modern classical music, or cutting edge gourmet cooking, some people are passionate about creating something new, challenging and thought provoking. Some of those dining experiences may mirror the emperor's new clothes-expensive experiments that are dead ends and rather ridiculous diversions from the substance and essence of fine cooking. Our sense is that the folks at Le Flaveur really do have brilliant insights, considerable talent and knowledge, and dining here is both entertaining and satisfying.

The dishes on the current Le Flaveur menu, and the multiple amuse de bouche, reflected complexity, a penchant for using oriental spices and ingredients, attractive plating and a sophisticated combining of unexpected ingredients without becoming pedantic. The quality of the scallops and duck in particular, shined through and were enhanced, not masked, by the chef's insights. At some similar restaurants, you might go away hungry. Here, the portions are of decent size.. The artisan breads are truly delightful-don't miss the fig bread and the olive bread.

As befitting of a Michelin starred restaurant, there was an interesting and extensive wine list, including a fair share of reasonably priced bottles for those of us not on an expense account.
The service was genuinely gracious and caring, albeit a bit strained by a nearly full house on a Saturday evening. It does cause minor annoyance when your wine glass is empty and the person expected to pour it is busy elsewhere-at least, at this price point and when self-help is not a viable option.

They have taken a fairly plain and cramped space and made it somewhat intriguing with numerous free form wooden wall hangings and lighter colors. It's improvisational and perhaps consistent with the intriguing food. It's not especially attractive, but it is one of a kind. The dinner tables could have come from a very modest luncheon place, but the quality of each course reminds you this is a high end restaurant.

All in all, an address to remember. Book well ahead, and stretch your culinary horizons with people who have a serious interest in discovering new tastes and textures.This is an expensive outing, and probably not some place you would feel inclined to go to frequently. Still, it is a very worthy address, and fairly priced for the truly creative and distinctive offerings. To some extent, this is an intellectual exercise, and requires your full attention.

2  Thank ulysses4
Reviewed January 22, 2014

-One Michelin Star
-Located along a side street in the new city of Nice away from the tourist traps
-It’s a small restaurant that really only has one seating per night. On the Wednesday we dined, the restaurant was at full capacity so always make a reservation if you hope to dine.

Ambiance:

-Flaveur is a small dining room with lightly coloured walls, bright lighting and massive cut-out wooden fish on the walls. It isn’t “sexy” as far as date night spots go, but it is definitely comfortable.
-Light jazz music plays in the background to supplement the gentle chatter in the room. The tables are fairly well spaced apart, making it an ideal spot for date night where you want to easily speak with your partner.

Service:

-Two servers took care of the entire room throughout the night, both of which spoke beautiful English and were remarkably friendly and professional.
-They were well versed on the menu and wine pairings, ensured cutlery, and wine arrived at the appropriate time and in order, and were attentive with refilling our bottled water.
-Having said that, perhaps this is my Americanized standards, but the meal was uncomfortably long. We specifically went with the shortest pre-fixe option because we knew we had to get up early for our flight, and still it took us a whole 2 ½ hours to get through. Seeing as some of the most extensive tasting menus in the world are only an hour longer, I can’t help but consider this an exorbitant amount of time for a 4 course meal. It was almost comical watching the two servers bob about the room offering bread to tables in an effort to hold them off. But for me, filling up customers on bread does the chef and restaurant an injustice as by the time the main course rolls around I am often too full to even enjoy it. I also wonder if it’s a tactic to sell more wine. Either way is not so enjoyable for me.

Drinks:

-La Flaveur offers a generous menu of all French wines by the bottle, with 14 of them available by the glass (7-12€). Diners also can choose to allow the restaurant to pair the tasting menu or pre-fixe with the appropriate wines (27-45€ depending on the size of menu), which my partner decided to do. I, on the other hand, opted to just go by the glass, first with a bright and slightly grassy 2011 Terre de Fume, then a fabulous not-too-sweet Blanc D’Hiver with dessert. We both agreed that while the wines (all white for our particular menu) were not particularly spectacular, they paired nicely with the food and were very easy to drink.

Food:
-Le Flaveur essentially offers you two different menu choices – the “Spice Road” Flavors and Discovery three course meal for 50€ with an option to add a cheese dish for 13 €, or a 6 course Menu Decouverte for 80€. Having been told that the tasting would take a minimum of 3 ½ hours, we opted to streamline and go with the 3 courses plus cheese. These things are never only the number of courses they specify, anyway.

Squid-Ink Ice Cracker with Spanish Sausage, White Turnip and Caviar of Olive Oil; Cured Spanish Beef; Speck of Smoked Haddock; Chickpea Puree with Falafel; Seabream Ceviche with Whipped Potatoes and Wasabi

A little selection of starters to get our appetite revved up- my favourite by far was the fabulous seabream ceviche, whipped potatoes and the crunchy spicy wasabi flakes. I also loved the baby falafel idea- what an adorable passable hors d'oeuvres idea for a party!

Half-Cooked Salmon, Combawa and Granny Smith Salsa, Haloumi Cheese, Avocado Puree and Kiwano

The salmon was perfectly cooked so that it merely melted on the tongue and its sweetness was nicely complimented by the tangy combawa and apple salsa. I also loved the bounty of aromatic dill in there, which really brought all the light fresh flavours together.

Mediterranean Umbrine, Champonzu and Gyozu Ravioli, Christophine and Colombo Bouillon

The Christophine is a fruit that has a texture and flavour somewhere between an apple and a jicama. It’s crunchy, sturdy, juicy, and mildly sweet- perfect to counterbalance the chewy Asian ravioli. The fish had a nicely seared crispy skin and a delicate white flesh, and the broth was neither too salty nor too bland. A flawless dish.

Cheese selection: Camembert, Brillat Savarin, Goat Cheese coated in Wood Charcoal, Ewe Milk Cheese, Shaved Saless with Quince Fruit Paste

A nice spread of cheeses, my favourite of course being the Brillat Savarin (my all time favourite cheese), followed closely by the delicious ewe milk. But that camembert was so stinky (and in a bad dirty sock way) that we just had to leave that one alone.

Rose-Lychee Crispy Tuile, Pink Champagne and Longane Jelly, White Chocolate Mousse and Sorbet

A beautiful presentation- this would be a gorgeous dessert for a baby girl shower or a pink themed event. I liked the combination of the white chocolate mousse with the juicy sweet lychee, but I thought as a whole, the rose was a bit overdone. I like a hint of floral flavour, but too much rose can become purfumey and exhausting. Having said that, a pink rose tuile? Fabulous.

Ginger Coconut Milk Pudding; Chewy Peanut Caramels; Mango and Papaya Fruit Paste with Coconut; Green Tea Financier; Almond Praline with Curry, Cardamon and Saffron

An interesting Asian inspired selection of treats- the coconut milk pudding was fiery and light with just a hint of sweetness, while the paste brought a gorgeous burst of flavour. I found the praline a little stale and the financier was nothing special, but the peanut caramel was addictive- a perfect balance of salty and sweet.

Closing Remarks:
-For two 4 course meals, one with wine pairings (3 glasses), and an additional 3 glasses of wine, plus 2 bottles of French sparkling water, the bill came to 220€ ($320) – for the quality of food, the professional service, and the abundance of wine we received, I think this was one of our best value meals of the trip. Was it uncomfortably long? Yes, and I’m not a fan of that even though it seems to be the norm in France, but thankfully they had wifi access to keep us both occupied all night.
-I would definitely recommend a dinner at La Flaveur if you’re planning to visit Nice, and would absolutely return if I had the chance.

2  Thank Abbey S
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Deserves it's rating. Service very attentive. Wine guy made a superb recommendation on the red. Food was very good but it's rich - very French. Went Saturday and they offered 3 tasting menus, no a la carte. It's small so book don't walk in. Because it's small and they did not know us they confirmed our booking 3 times. Would have a waiting list on a Saturday.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Culinary experience,amazing flavor infusions, and cozy space made for a great way to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday.

1  Thank BBEETTH