“Terrible!”
Review of Chez Freddy

Chez Freddy
Reserve with
Save up to 40% when you reserve online *
Chez Freddy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,401 of 1,989 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town / Vieux Nice
Description: Located cours saleya in Nice,one of the most famous place of the French Riviera , in the old city , you will enjoy to stay on the big terrace for your diner all the year.Chez freddy you'll find a very large choice of seafood, fish, meat, pasta, salads and our specialities of Paellas, Aiolis, and Bouillabaisses. You can also opt for the set menu with not less than 10 choice of starters, main courses and desserts.All the first floor of the restaurant is the kitchen where the chefs prepare the dishes , from the starters to the desserts, all is home made and the team is almost the same from the opening date, 9 years ago .Every day you have the flower market on this place and every Monday the antiquity market .Chez Freddy restaurant is open 365 days a year, all the day from 11.30 am to 11.30 pm,.W'll be very honored to welcome you in our restaurant on the place from 2004. We welcome around 80 000 customers every year, coming from the area and from all the world and often coming back years after years.See you soon Chez Freddy !!!ps we have menu in english,russian,italiano,german,chinese!!!!!
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Decided to stop here because it looked like they had a good selection of seafood. We could not have been more wrong. The oysters were ok at best, the mussels lacked any kind of seasoning, and the "paella" was just a pile of overlooked, steamed shellfish. We ordered the one with rabbit, only to receive burnt rabbit. The only saving grace was the wine was decent and they took the paella off our check. Also the service was HORRIBLE. An hour to get a dozen raw oysters and 30 minutes after to get everything else.

I should also mention, expect to pay about double here than anywhere else. We ordered half a bottle of wine, small water, dozen oysters, and mussels and they charged us €70.

Long story short: bad service, bad food, overpriced. Dine at own risk!

1  Thank Greg W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed July 6, 2014

There are tons of places to eat along this stretch of Cours Saleya in the Old Towne of Nice. Amy and I were attracted by the seafood but many other restaurants had them on display as well. We just happened to be there the evening of the France v Germany world cup match a few nights ago ... so the atmosphere was electric. Chez Freddy set up multiple TV sets, so we had dinner amongst football fanatics and tourists.

We have been choosing the set menus at various restaurants and did the same at Chez Freddy ... we like to sample the different starters, main entrees and desserts ... and was pleased with the food and service. We are used to the various wait times between courses, or when we asked for a small plate for our olive oil and vinegar. (Apparently this is not customary in France ... they just serve bread without butter and if there is olive oil and vinegar on the table they don't provide a separate dish... we're used to it by now!)

Amy ordered the seafood stew which was very rich in flavors and all of the seafood fresh and delicious. I slurped down the broth by the spoonful and dunked lots of the baguette style bread into it as well. My shrimp and fish grill was also good and it came with an amazing rice (not paella, nor risotto) with a creamy seafood base. The seafood stews broth was so good, I ended up putting parts of my grilled fish into the stock ... as well as my rice!

For dessert we shared crème brulee and tiramisu. Theses are standard favs and hard to go wrong to end a nice, pleasant, al fresco dinner amongst hundreds of world cup fans! I'd go back for the seafood stew ... but with so many options and just a few days ... it's not a "same trip repeater".

Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I dined here on our last night in Nice. We had passed by the restaurant several times while touring the Cours Saleya market and the restaurant was always full. You could see many seafood items and their well known paella in the iron skillets on numerous diners' tables, and it all looked good. They were quick to seat us, but that was the end of our quick service. We ordered a bottle of wine and two entrees. The wine came after about fifteen minutes and the entrees followed about thirty minutes later. My fish and vegetables were good, but not worth the 60 Euro that I was charged. My husband's seafood and pasta was more reasonably priced, but tasted bland. It took a good while to get our check. I got the feeling they just wanted the restaurant to look full to entice other people passing by. Next time, I would opt for one of the well known bistros and not a restaurant so obviously a tourist spot.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We were referred to this restaurant by a tour guide from our Nice morning tour.

This restaurant markets itself as an upmarket eatery, but none of the food we ordered was as appetising as photographed. I ordered a salad, which was overloaded with greasy pesto; the pasta was greasy flavourless and the grilled fish was, yes, also overloaded with pesto sauce. My mum ordered the lobster as a main course and found that the areas under the lobster shell was hollow, as though the lobster flesh had been dug out! She raised this to the elderly gentleman (the manager?), but he simply scoffed and resumed with his activities without even an apology or attempt to resolve this issue. This is unacceptable customer service and it became apparent that they were focused on the tourist trade, i.e. they can identify tourists from locals and predicted that we would not be returning.

The final bill came to around 111 Euros, which we was by far the most expensive and awful meal we had during our stay in Nice. I see that fellow TA reviewers had similar experiences - with better restaurants in this area of Nice, I would definitely recommend fellow travellers to head elsewhere.

2  Thank Chrissierulz
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This restaurant did a great job at luring us in. At first the service was great, but this dramatically dropped as we got beyond the starters.

The food was less than average - a perfectly good piece of turbot grilled beyond belief!

When the bill came we were over charged! The highest priced meal of our week and the worst food by far......our breakfast of croissants and ham rated higher than this place.

One definitely not to revisit when back in Nice!