“Cool”
Review of Hostel Smith Beach

Hostel Smith Beach
Ranked #5 of 64 Specialty Lodging in Nice
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Great welcoming, helpful staff, cool atmosphere and perfect location.
If you are an easy going traveler, this is your place.
You can count on friendly staff to give you some good advice on the things to do and places to see.
I'm going to choose this hostel for my next stay in Nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have been to Nice several times and I can recommend Hostel Smith if you want a cheap place to stay. It's clean and nice. I stayed with some friends and we enjoyed it very mucht. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is really super. You are living next to great restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed October 2, 2013

All the bad reviews happened while they were doing renovations, I went in September and truly enjoyed my stay! The room were a bit noisy, yes, but you are located in the heart of the old Nice so it is to be expected! The hostel was clean enough, staff was wonderfully helpful. They gave us a lot of good advise on the nearby cities to visit, cheap way to get there, and even about the history of the cities! Breakfast room is quite small but good and clean. Showers were good and spacious too which is the most important!!
We stayed in a 12 bed mixed dorms, next to the reception, it was very spacious with private lockers.
I stayed one night only but would have stayed more!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ascote
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've been at Hostel Smith in June 2013 and I really didn't like that place. The hostel is in a residential building, the reception is not 24h and the rooms were not clean at all. I heard some guests claiming because their room were more people than beds. On the other hand, the hostel is well located and you can find many bars, restaurants and clubs by walking from there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rafaleite2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here with a friend and booked an 8 bed room but was placed in a 12 bed dorm with additional cots laid out. Room was fairly nice but the bathroom was very dirty and kept running out of toilet paper. Shower doors were see-through and as a girl I did not feel comfortable using these with all the men around. The location was convenient, as it was downtown and close to everything. However, it was very noisy at night with screaming late-night partiers and the occasional delivery truck.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
15  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Coming from a place with great hsotels and low prices, I was expecting more of it.
I paid something like 35€/ night for a bed in a girls dorm. I would expect a friendly staff, eager to help me and give me tips on what to do and where to eat and most of all: a clean bathroom!
The room was nice, nothing bad to say about it... but the bathroom... awfull! I stayed in the floor up from the reception, in an apartment with 3 rooms, I guess... the bathroom was shared and we had to up so some kind of another story level on a very thin ladder! And the cleanliness of the bathroom... well, it just didn't exist! Luckily I had my own paper towel and my flip-flops... Another thing was the light in the bathroom: with a motion sensor! Imagine being out of the sensor and shower with no light! Quite an adventure!
For 35€/ night, you'll get a lot better in the place where I come from...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
14  Thank RosarinhoPT
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in a 12 bed dorm which one day they added another bed so became 13 beds and while doing that they movedour beds and our things, returning at night when other people are sleeping made it difficult to find our things, not a good experience. The room was away from the reception but in same building, had to have a key to get into bathroom and kitchen at night, not ideal. Wifi didn't work in room only in reception. Overall it wasn't a good stay and would never stay here again, I do not recommend staying here. I would pay a little more for something more secure and nicer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple