“Don't listen to the bad reviews!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostel Smith Beach

Hostel Smith Beach
Ranked #18 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Nice
Montreal, Canada
“Don't listen to the bad reviews!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

All the bad reviews happened while they were doing renovations, I went in September and truly enjoyed my stay! The room were a bit noisy, yes, but you are located in the heart of the old Nice so it is to be expected! The hostel was clean enough, staff was wonderfully helpful. They gave us a lot of good advise on the nearby cities to visit, cheap way to get there, and even about the history of the cities! Breakfast room is quite small but good and clean. Showers were good and spacious too which is the most important!!
We stayed in a 12 bed mixed dorms, next to the reception, it was very spacious with private lockers.
I stayed one night only but would have stayed more!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ascote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've been at Hostel Smith in June 2013 and I really didn't like that place. The hostel is in a residential building, the reception is not 24h and the rooms were not clean at all. I heard some guests claiming because their room were more people than beds. On the other hand, the hostel is well located and you can find many bars, restaurants and clubs by walking from there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rafaleite2013

Travelers are raving about these Nice hotels

Grenoble, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here with a friend and booked an 8 bed room but was placed in a 12 bed dorm with additional cots laid out. Room was fairly nice but the bathroom was very dirty and kept running out of toilet paper. Shower doors were see-through and as a girl I did not feel comfortable using these with all the men around. The location was convenient, as it was downtown and close to everything. However, it was very noisy at night with screaming late-night partiers and the occasional delivery truck.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Michelle M
Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Coming from a place with great hsotels and low prices, I was expecting more of it.
I paid something like 35€/ night for a bed in a girls dorm. I would expect a friendly staff, eager to help me and give me tips on what to do and where to eat and most of all: a clean bathroom!
The room was nice, nothing bad to say about it... but the bathroom... awfull! I stayed in the floor up from the reception, in an apartment with 3 rooms, I guess... the bathroom was shared and we had to up so some kind of another story level on a very thin ladder! And the cleanliness of the bathroom... well, it just didn't exist! Luckily I had my own paper towel and my flip-flops... Another thing was the light in the bathroom: with a motion sensor! Imagine being out of the sensor and shower with no light! Quite an adventure!
For 35€/ night, you'll get a lot better in the place where I come from...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank RosarinhoPT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in a 12 bed dorm which one day they added another bed so became 13 beds and while doing that they movedour beds and our things, returning at night when other people are sleeping made it difficult to find our things, not a good experience. The room was away from the reception but in same building, had to have a key to get into bathroom and kitchen at night, not ideal. Wifi didn't work in room only in reception. Overall it wasn't a good stay and would never stay here again, I do not recommend staying here. I would pay a little more for something more secure and nicer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kat A
Toulouse, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had a little trouble finding the place as its not well signed, you buzz in and walk up a dodgey looking alley.

Arrived and the gentlemen who greeted us was polite and helpful.

Gave us good tips about getting to Monaco for the grand prix

We were given our keys but our room was located 15mins walk away.

Room was very basic, quite grotty but it served a purpose as we were there no more than 6 or 7 hours for sleep.

stayed at much better hostels for cheaper but it was grand prix weekend

overall i would look for elsewhere next time

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank nbower85
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Just completing our stay here first of all got to the place and was greeted with an unhappy guy however he did help us with our luggage up and downstairs when we got there. Next we weren't in tge same building as the reception area. Our building was about 5 or so blocks away and the expectation was for us to return the key at checkout when we were ages away from the reception with a flight to catch at 10. Our room was spacious however ants everywhere and a spider was on my bed. Only positive is location size and the guy helped with luggage the rest was HORRIBLE.

• Stayed May 2013