“A hostel as you expect it.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostel Smith Beach

Hostel Smith Beach
Ranked #18 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Nice
Deventer, The Netherlands
“A hostel as you expect it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've been in a lot of hostels around the world and I always have my expectations when I come somewhere new. Although its a bit noisy sometimes and there's not a lot of space (pretty usual in such a tide street in a tide part of town) Hostel smith did furfill my expectations. Its clean, the location is just perfect (5 minute walk to the beach and acces to an incredible night life) and the service is also top notch. So if you want a cheap affordable and cosy place to sleep when in Nice this backpakers hostel is the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
otterystmary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I am a Mum with two teenage children and we stayed in a private room away from the main hostel. I have travelled the world and stayed in many basic accommodations.I would not stay here again. There was a washing machine but no coat hangers or washing line. There was an ironing board but no iron. There was a shower but no mat and only one towel. There was mould and peeling paint everywhere.There was only one cup. There was no air-con or fan so we had to sleep with the windows open. Really really hot. There was a noisy pub plus live band below us which closed at 0200h. No smoking in the pub so everyone was outside smoking which filled our room with smoke.There was a local dustbin collection area below us which smelt bad. The dustbin lorry arrived at 0500h to empty and crush the waste. At 0600h a van arrived to sluice the drains and wash the streets. More noise and bad smell. We had 9hrs sleep in 3 days. We didnt bother with breakfast at the main hostel because we were too tired to show up!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank dona45

Travelers are raving about these Nice hotels

aus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I travel a fair bit and I generally give 90% of the places a fair go, even if they are horrible I will still judge fairly high. This place absolutely ruined our trip to nice.

I'll start with the main point. There were 4 of us travelling together, we booked 2 twin rooms for 3 nights. When we arrived we were told we were moved into the 1 room with 4 beds.(obvious reason is they wanted to sell the other room to make more money)Like hello where was the phone call or email asking or informing us?? At this time the boss was conveniently 'out' to query. Next day we went to reception to work out or compromise a better situation. The 2nd room we booked was free but they refused to give it to us as we had the 4 bed room. Again not our problem.

Let's do the math, the difference between a 2 bed room and a 4 bed room is 7€ per person less on the site. 7€ times 4 people
is 28€. That sum times the 3 days we were there is 84€ so we should be refunded 84€ bloody euros or give us the 2nd room. Peak season we had no choice but to put up with it.

Other problems, the room was sooo insanely hot we had restless sleep, waking up during the nights in dripping sweat. No air flow in the rooms plus ciggarate smoke filled the hall ways. Creaky beds( again 4 people in the room it gets annoying).Filthy kitchen utensils, traffic right out side our hostel was noisy, wifi that didn't work. 1 set of keys between 4 of us. Just a nightmare of a Place really. I've stayed in 3rd world countries that are better than this and this is France for crying out loud.

My advice just look else where, there's better for the same money or less

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank tsubs
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

They changed our booking before we got there and gave away our second room with out telling us.
Didnt give us a refund for the rooms.
The rooms were to hot and noise.
Smoke was in the hall way all the time.
The cups were dirty.
The Internet was really bad, couldnt even get on the internet.

Room Tip: Dont come here, Find somewhere else!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank nichole021190
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was the worst experience of my life. My boyfriend and I booked a private room for three nights when we arrived we were told that our room had been given away as we were late, they then told us that we had to share a room with 6 other people, we were then taken to the room to find that there was only one spare bed for the two of us so we had to share a single tiny bed for the night in a smelly discusting old room, my boyfriend has stayed in many hostels and said this one was the worst. The next morning we told then we weren't staying another night and got of there right away. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank L R
melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have stayed in some great hostels and some average ones and this doesnt come close to even average . We booked a double room with private bathroom which was located a little down the road but still in a fantastic part of the old town . When we got into the building we had obsticles partially blocking the hallway . These were building materials hopefully for some renovations .In the room there was crumbs and dirt etc all over the floor , wet sheets and grimy cooking area , these problems I guess are staff issues .I didnt complain about it too much as the owner said she would berate the girl responsible but probably should have as it needed to be adressed . The bunk beds were shaky to say the least and very poor quality matresses and linen .I must say the lady in charge gave us a refund no problem . The price was incredible for a place of this standard . There was a shortage of accom . due to the Grand Prix in Monte Carlo other wise there are plenty of great value places in Nice. We booked out straight away. I have had great advice from tripadvisor so felt I had to pass this on.

Room Tip: The shared hostel area may be ok , I dont know about .
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hotshowbag
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

This Hostel has great location, in the middle of the old town and it's also near the sea. Low standards but very nice atmosphere. The owner cares about the backpackers with all tips about where to go and what to see, so we could have a great trips around Nice :) We definitely recomend !

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple