“Where to start? The tomatos, the oil, the owner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oliviera

Oliviera
Ranked #9 of 1,875 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Old Town / Vieux Nice
Description: Home made cuisine, with sampling and a shop of French olive oils
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Where to start? The tomatos, the oil, the owner!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Before traveling to Nice, we'd heard about Oliveria but didn't want to "limit" ourselves with reservations. While walking through the Old Town, we stumbled on the restaurant, and sat down for lunch. Nadim, the owner, is the life and soul of this restaurant. His love for food (he was more than happy to share his tomatoe/olive tree pictures) and his customers is evident from the moment he brings over that first glass of Rose. Speaking of the food...I don't have words to describe. We all had "chills" after eating the sweetest yellow tomatoes topped with Nadim's version of guacamole. From the first bite through to the Tiramisu (topped with olive oil!) it was truly one of the best meals we have ever had. We even came back a couple of nights later for dinner - to taste everything left on the menu. Don't even think twice about Oliveria...GO!!!

1 Thank bethk56
Nadim B, Propriétaire at Oliviera, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Didn't I implore you not to call it guacamole?
The reason is that guacamoles now come in tin cans, pre-mashed! How do they keep it green?
E101, or is it acorbic stuff?
Mamâ mi!

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
“Has a special place in my heart”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I love Oliviera. We love the passion of the owner. We love the ingredients. We love the recipes ... I dream of the Aubergine oliviera, and I don't even really like aubergines ... We have had some wonderful lunches and dinners here. Should really give it a five as we recommend it to everyone visiting nice, but has to loose a point just because it can be incredibly slow, and compared to our other nice favourites it is not cheap. Given the quality of the ingredients I don't mind paying the prices, but please, please get another waiter in to help you out. We love chatting to you, and you make the place so special, so get someone else to do the leg work! See you again in a few months.

Visited October 2012
Nadim B, Propriétaire at Oliviera, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Good ingredients do not come cheap, and the leg work keeps me fit, up to a point.
But you're right. We'll hire a runner soon!
Thank you for caring.
“Wonderful”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the food, the atmosphere. Service is not quick but the food is meant to be enjoyed at a relaxed pace and the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful. Had ravioli for main following the haricots vert and aubergine to start, all very simple and very fresh. Give it a try, good value and it is very entertaining as long as you are not in a rush.

Nadim B, Propriétaire at Oliviera, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Neither do we like rushing people out, nor do we appreciate being rushed.
(They say it is bad for digestion on one side, and for the heart on the other!)
Delft, The Netherlands
“Fresh, regional, unremarkable”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I struggled with this review more then with any I have before because this seemingly simple place is very complex and both nails some aspects while falling flat on some others.

To start with the good; serving food only with fresh, regional and in season foods should be what every restaurants do. While I normally have tomatoes I loved the ones here and that's a huge compliment to this establishment. The dishes made out of this produce are simple, home made and honest. The owner is clearly proud and passionate and this is obvious for all to see.

The frustrating part is that there are several points which are a letdown. The dishes, while generally tasty, are very, very simple and quite uncreative. I also struggled to make sense of why all dishes needed added olive oil as some did not need it and this seemed like a cross selling ploy more then anything else. My second major gripe is that the organisation goes off track quite badly at times, which has been commented before. While I think the owner is a brilliant restauranteur and a great entertainer, a good waiter he is not. Dishes are served to the wrong people at the table, requests for fresh drinks are forgotten and the owner loses track of numerous other things while chatting and entertaining people.

All things told that means I will give this restaurant a 3 out of 5 rating, but the potential is amazing and the passion for honest food excites me.

2 Thank Bastiaanvdv
Nadim B, Waiter at Oliviera, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We do not claim to have the best waiter service in town, as our aim is to make you feel more at home than in a restaurant. And yes, we do get bungled at rush time! But then, who wouldn't forgive a busy friend?

On another point, it seems you failed to see the obvious: we are an olive oil shop .
We would have appreciated to know which dishes did not need the olive oil, whereas we created all around each of the olive oils, which we sell locally and online through oliviera.com

But then, I am sure you will agree with a French saying that goes: "You never argue tastes and colors"

But I totaly refute your "uncreative" label.
The following dishes are some of our own creativity, and have been lauded unanimously as "discoveries" by our public:
Aubergine Oliviera
Avocat Loco
Légumes en Fleurs
Dolmas de Gravadlax
Lapin sur Pates
Lasagne de Potiron.
Tartare Méditerranée.
This just to name just a few, and the list is long

On your next visit, we will show you a sample of our cullinary brain power.
Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
“Best Food in Nice”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Seriously, we read a review of this place on yelp and decided to make a reservation as she instructed. We emailed the owner and got our reservation. It was the most fabulous food with the friendliest owner. You learn all about olive oil. We got feta et figs for an appetizer and it was so wonderful. My husband got steak tartare Mediterranee and I got Aubergine Oliviera...both of these were just amazingly delicious! You must make a enervation...he has only one seating a night and he turned away so many people.

Visited September 2013
Nadim B, Propriétaire at Oliviera, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
The feta/figs you had is our most ephemeral dish:
This type of figs, called the "col de dames" here in Nice, ripen on or about the end of august and rot on the first serious rain in september.
But what a treat!