“Socca” 3 of 5 bubbles

Chez Rene Socca
Ranked #332 of 1,866 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Old Town / Vieux Nice
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Socca”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Like most other reviewers I tried the Socca when passing through the area. You choose and pay for your food at the counter. If you want to sit then you are obliged to buy a drink. Your drink you order from the waiter and pay separately.

I also ordered a pizza slice which the girl put in the little oven for a short while. to check if it was hot she jabbed her finger into the food. Not exactly hygienic.

The pigeons are annoying but if people feed them then they are always going to be there.

Was ok but nothing to write home about.

Visited May 2014

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The only place for Socca...........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

The only place to eat Socca, fresh from the wood fired oven, it is made and sold within a few minutes, with customers waiting for a fresh one to be made..........It really is fantastic, if you are in Nice, you must try it, you will not regret it.....Enjoy.

Visited May 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Mediocre street food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Could be so much better if you had the passing trade .You get your food and then sit down and order beers or whatever . The chickpea pancake thing is overrated . I did like the escalope however at 3 euros a pop it is worth a go . Anyway its an interesting place to stop ,

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,004 helpful votes
“Beware the scam!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

It was clever. I have to admire the scam.

We ordered drinks....they came to the table....later I asked for the bill. It arrived and I paid the €8.30 with a €20 note. The waiter returned with change from €10. When he left I noticed a really bright coin and on examination it was a 1 real from Brazil!! I have never ever seen, yet alone had, a coin from Brazil. It looks like a two euro coin but the colours reversed.

It took three attempts to get the waiter as he was reluctant to return to our table. He eventually acknowledged me, nodded and had my €10 euro note in his hand as if to give it to me. Before I took it I pointed out the 1 real coin. Now here is the clever bit!!

"That was on the table"...."No, it wasn't. There was nothing on the table when we sat down"

Now he was getting agitated, and why so soon? "Yes it was. Are you trying to cheat me. Take my money. Steal from me? That coin was on your table" Total rubbish as you would notice a coin under your plate!
Wow...all this so soon? My friend confirmed there was nothing on the table.

The waiter threw two euro coins at me (why two when he should have returned one and the €10 note?), now shouting that I was a thief, was stealing from him and I was a liar! He stormed off to the bar.

I followed and asked for my €10 note that he didn't give me. He got more agitated and started the thief, liar, stealing from me thing again. He demanded to see my pockets saying he gave me the note at the table. My friend, at the table, confirmed he gave no note back. I did tell this to the owner/manager(?) but he wasn't interested.

You see the plan....the scam?

He distracts you with the 1 real he put on the table, shouts, gets aggressive and storms off while he keeps the €10 note. Why did he not bring this the first time he brought change? Why did he ignore me three times for the correct change? Why did he return with the €10 note in his hand as if to offer it?

A clever scam. He is the cheat....the fraud.

AVOID.

ps...the food was rubbish.

• Visited May 2014
8 Thank Harleyclarkey
jakarta
“it was okay..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

i read and heard it's the best socca in town. for me, it's average. quite nice but not grrreaat. maybe I'm just not that into socca.

Visited March 2014