“Return visit, but would we go back again?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Univers de Christian Plumail - CLOSED

L'Univers de Christian Plumail
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centre
Dublin, Ireland
“Return visit, but would we go back again?”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was our second visit to this resto after a gap of a number of years. Decor had changed, and place now brighter and somehow feels less crowded. The menu was interesting (we ate the menu autumn/hiver), but not sure it lived entirely up to its promise. Very good wine list, and efficient staff who were not overly friendly. If I had a choice between here and Luc Salsedo (same price range but no star) there would be no contest.... Luc would win every time!

• Visited November 2012

shefield
“The univers and beyond”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had a totally outstanding meal here. All ingredients of the highest quality and the service was much more friendly than one normally gets at places at this market point.

Den Haag
“Good, but Michelin quality?”
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We dined here on a rainy tuesday evening. Reception was correct, but nothing more. Service throughout the evening was efficient. My first course (saint Jacques) was really excellent, main course (Cod with crab) not bad, but not truly special and desserts average. M'y wife's terrine de foie gras was good, but the Dorade somewhat on the heavy side. Menus were very affordable and our Meursault was fine. All in all an agreable experience, but not very special.

Bath, United Kingdom
“It does deserve its Michelin Star---just!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I visited L'Univers at the end of September having enjoyed it three or four times before. The decor is much brighter and more relaxing now and the staff are still very welcoming and unstuffy, for a Michelin starred establishment. But after being shown to my table I had to wait fifteen minutes before the friendly waiter came back for my order. The other customers however were clearly having a good time. The food here is beautifully presented in the modern French style, the flavours of each dish are clear and satisfying despite the smallish portions. The traditional tasty amuse-bouches that were on offer happily compensated for that.
There are a two very appealing set price menus to choose from which mean that L'Univers is far better value than the many tourist restaurants nearby in le Vieux Nice. But I wonder how it compares in quality to the other Michelin-starred places in Nice. I had a feeling that I had eaten slightly better on my previous visit. The maitre d' is a charming gentleman who chatted to me at length as I was leaving. I promised him I'd write this review on Trip Advisor. I hope its ok!

• Visited September 2012
Nice, France
“Lovely surprise”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

What a surprise. We had always put this on our list every year (for the last 12 years), either lunch or dinner but somehow we are a bit late in coming here this year. The whole place has had a magic make-over. It is now light, bright, has a clever use of beautiful lights, partially opaque glass dividers and mirrors, a new reception area, in fact very professional interior designer.
The food is as good as ever by Mr Plumail, who came into the restaurant. The set lunch menu of 3 choices per course more imaginative than before (in my opinion), and at the same price of 22€ for 2 courses as last year - a bargain. The staff and maitre d' are always 110% and even Madame was enjoying herself. If you have not been before you must go. The home-made breads are excellent, if you can manage the 3 courses, spoil yourself, you will not be disappointed here. Good wine list. Staff only too keen to help if you are unsure. Wheelchair friendly. However, best to book to avoid disappointment.
Lf