“Very happy we stumbled here!”
Review of Lu fran calin

Lu fran calin
Ranked #112 of 1,906 Restaurants in Nice
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town / Vieux Nice
Sydney, Australia
“Very happy we stumbled here!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Nothing to complain about. We had the tasting plate for starters, the stuffed chicken for mains and a bottle of the rosé.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Diner for two on juin 29, 2012. Lu Fran Calin was running full capacity when we arrived without a reservation on Friday night. But after waiting 5 minutes, they had a table available for us. The process was smooth and impressive considering the circumstances. We started with a bottle of house wine, bottled with the Lu Fran Calin label. It was surprisingly good at about 15 euros. A good start along with the olives and tapenade hors d'oeuvres which are gratuit. My entree was the pisaladiere, my first taste ever of this particular dish. Good but not great. My main course was a ravioli gratinee, which was excellent. This is a cheese-based dish (Le Bistrot Fromager, please take note) full of flavor and texture. My partner's main was also excellent. I finished with a good hazelnut-based dessert but cannot recall the name. The website of Lu Fran Calin is a bit confusing and does not have a sample menu to help people remember what they ordered. The service was smooth and attentive. The hostess was charming despite the hectic pace of the evening. She went above and beyond expectations to answer some of our questions. As Lu Fran Calin is located on Place Rossetti along one side of the cathedral, there will be many street performers expecting tips from the terrace diners during high season. On this evening, there were 3 performance groups. Bottom Line - This is an excellent restaurant that specializes in cuisine niçoise. It was recommended by our Nice Cycle Tours guide, along with Casa Mia, and Cose Cosi, 5 Rue Colonna d'Istria. Lu Fran Calin is open for lunch and diner. For diner, expect a lively environment with street performers looking for tips in high season. "Aqui si mangia ben" is Niçard for "Eat Well Here". When visiting Nice, a diner on Place Rossetti is a must. And Lu Fran Calin is the place.

• Visited June 2012
Nice, France
“Dreadful”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I love Nice and have never had a poor meal in the Cote D:Azur with exception of this restaurant. I ordered the Canneloni and my wife had the gnochi with Gorgonzola and both tasted the same. Stodge with milk sauce at 50 Euros.

Below average British pub food.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank BriantheOx
Stockholm, Sweden
“Excellent food”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The food here was excellent even though the ladies who work here are a little curt and actually seem to have an attitude problem. There was a male owner or server there that was very nice though. My friends ordered the mixed platter which was delicious and I ordered the beef tartar which was the special. Everything was delicious including the olives that they give you before the meal. The price was very reasonable but that is not an objective view since I live in an expensive European city most everywhere else seems reasonable or a steal.

I hope that they keep up the quality of food here as it would be a shame if it changed.

Visited May 2012
Stourbridge Uk
“Couldn't have done more!”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We booked here for a Birthday meal for 11 of us on a Saturday Lunch time. Food and service were excellent and at very reasonable prices. The place was very busy [great atmosphere] and the staff couldn't have done more to make the occasion special. Would love to go back and try more of the menu

Visited February 2012