“The chefs surprise menu was the price” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zucca Magica Restaurant - CLOSED

Zucca Magica Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, French
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighborhood: Port
sitges
“The chefs surprise menu was the price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

First night and finding my way around most of the restaurants in the port looked liked turist traps however I stumbled on to this place which looked to be full of locals. No menu outside or prices however highly rated by lots of magazines. Upon entering were not told anything but were presented with our first course, articoke with a lemon polenta puree, very good. We though that this was just an entree but then cam another similar sized item. After the third vegetarian dish I began to long for some meat but then the final dessert course came and I relaised that we had been had. the final straw was when the bill came, 35 euros a head. I quite liked the food but was seriously in need of something approaching a main course and at those prices I can only say it was a complete rip off. Good for vegetarians with plenty of cash

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank peter c

Cheltenham
“Drunk in charge”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We discovered this restaurant alongside the port several years ago and had a magical lunch there sitting outside on a pretty roadside terrace. I'm vegetarian and the four course set vegetarian menu was one of the best meals I'd ever had.
We were really looking forward to a return visit on this trip. We booked for an evening meal and, being only early March, ate inside. We did notice that, although there were tables and chairs outside, there were no longer any plants or any attempt to create a terrace feel.
The main shock was that the front of house waiter, possibly the proprietor, was clearly drunk. He lurched around the restaurant and was clearly being over familiar with some of the French-speaking customers.
We ordered wine, reminded him several minutes later and again some minutes later. On the third asking it arrived. When the soup came, we had to ask for bread. Appalling service. A young French couple sat next to us were clearly embarrassed and remarked to us in English 'He's drunk'.
The meal was actually very good and I'm glad to say that he was only delivering the food not cooking it.
My guess is that the business has changed hands since we were last there.
We shall certainly not be raving to friends about this place as we have done in the past, nor shall we ever return!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank CheltenhamPam
england
“A veggie restaurant that carnivores must try”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

There is no menu, the Chef serves what he feels will be a good meal. However trust him because the food is amazing. This coupled with the eccentric waiter makes this a must visit place in Nice. By the way I'm not veggie but I had one of the best meals I've had in Nice . My wife who is veggie said its the best place she has eaten in Nice.
Only downside no credit cards but there are cashpoints nearby.

2 Thank BobGeorge
Milan, Italy
“Excellent restaurant: a vegetarian must try!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I really do love the “Zucca Magica” restaurant, my all time favorite restaurant in Nice, a very romantic and beautiful restaurant in the Nice Port area. From the Promenade des Anglais it’s a 15 minutes walk through the Rauba Capeu quai or 10 minutes from the old city.

They serve vegetarian food at its best, in a country (France) where even a salad has “lardons” (=bacon) in it. They also have cheese and eggs dishes so that it’s not a vegan restaurant. Main ingredients are: eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese but expect to get unusual herb and hard to find ingredients. Don’t think that the menu is boring because each time you’ll find a (good) surprise and something new.

Everything is fresh, savory, aromatic, well prepared.

It's set menu, sometimes three, sometimes four and up to five dishes will be served. At lunch time it's cheaper than dinner (around 30-35 euros), house vine is excellent.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank M M
Milan, Italy
“Possibily one of the best restaurant in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I usually visit the “Zucca Magica” restaurant several times each year and I think this is possibly one of the best restaurants in the world.
They serve only vegetarian food, so only vegetables plus eggs and cheese, and although I do love meat, I never had the feeling I was missing something in eating here, the feeling I have everywhere in vegetarian restaurants.
The Italian Chef Marco offers “tasting menus”, so that you don’t have to choose, but you will be brought several courses from amouse-bouche to dessert. The courses incredibly change every day to take advantage of fresh seasonal ingredients. I had lunch / dinner at “Zucca Magica” at least twenty times and I never had the same dish twice. Among the ones I remember as fantastic ones are:
- starters: leeks nem with zola sauce and Martini vermouth baked apple; light pesto filled whole tomato;
- first courses: vervain soup with ricotta cheese; vegetable white lasagna;
- main courses: large dumpling with prosecco sauce; Mediterranean vegetables “meatloaf”;
- desserts: tarte tatin; chocolate cake.
The quality of food is excellent, as everything is very fresh. The staff is helpful and friendly; prices are adequate. The location is convenient and the restaurant itself is very cozy and romantic. Reservation is a must.

• Visited December 2012