“The most awful service I ve ever had in 10 years!”
Review of Hotel Chambord

Hotel Chambord
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Menton
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Very bad hotel except receptionist Silvia!!!
1.First of all, i have to complain about absence of blinds in the room considering the fact that the room which was offered to us was lighted by the hotel luminous sign. I had to use the bed cover to construct the blinds because the hotel sign was throwing light inside the room and it looked as if it were the day time (though it was almost midnight when we arrived).
2.We did not manage to drop the curtain outside the balcony because it got stuck. The conditioner did not function.
3. Pascal, the receptionist, was very angry with my friend and I, who demanded to change the room. He didn't understand English at all because he is illiterate, and he didn't speak good French as he is just stupid. I was heard well enough of bad service in France, but the the manner Pascal communicated was beyond any expectation! We could change the room only next morning after the arrival thanks to Elenia.
4. On the last day of our staying at 8.40 we were awaken (the 3d and the 4th floor guests) by the drilling sound cominf from upstairs. The maid who was cleaning the room next to us told us that it was some other organisation (not the hotel) who were doing some construction/maintainance works. Is it ok that the hotel guests have to be awaken by the noise at such an early hour?????????? Maybe according to the French legislature 8.40 is ok for starting building and construction works, but not for tourists. The hotel had to have negotiated it earlier!!!!
5. On top of it all, for the date of the departure a mini van was booked for us by Silvia (who deserves special thanks for her best service I've ever had in my life- I've travelled to 13 European countries up to now) and we were expected to be brough to Nice airport at 4.30 a.m. (my friend I was sharing the room with and one more friend who was staying in single room). When we went downstairs at 4.25 a.m. (with my friend I was sharing the room with) we found our 3d friend, who was already there, in a perplexion. She said the mini van had gone.... The driver arrived beforehand, found her alone and started to lift her suitcase when she exclaimed he took it by the wrong side. He dropped her suitcase, went to the receptionist, exchaned with him several words and... left for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you imagine the situation of 3 ladies left alone in the night city of Menton (no cars at all at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) expecting a back flight from Nice airport in 2.5 hours??????? We find the situation extremely awful!!!! The old receptionist told us that my friend who was first to receive the mini van driver told him smth in a bad manner. Whatever she told him (we are 3 the Unversity professors in Moscow Lomonosv University, we cannot be so rude for the driver to leave so soon without service!!!) he shouldn't have left 3 ladies alone at night in Menton!!!!! The pld receptionist ordered us an ordinary taxi but 45 min later, and we paid as twice more (125 EUR) to Nice airport as we could have paid for the mini van (61 EUR)!!!!!!!!!!!
6. The noise of cars will wake you up till 4 a.m., after 4 a.m. only some bikes will disturb your sleep till 6 a.m. So you will have no sleep at all. As between 4 and 6 a.m. the sea gulls will have a meeting near the hotel. And there arrogant cried will also keep you awake.

Room Tip: Do not chosse room 41, 42, 43
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Elena R

Reviewed July 20, 2014

It is the ugliest building in the street (which was otherwise lovely and conveniently located). But on the inside it looks clean and well maintained. The train station and beach are nearby and so is the old town with nice little shops and restaurants. The bath was very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Not sure what people are complaining about!? Keep in mind we stayed on 3rd floor facing Garden, knew what we were going to do and where we were going, and enjoy interaction with local staff. Although it was busy on street during day, it was quiet at night, with nice flowers to look at, local activity to watch, mountains in background, and double paned sliding doors to block out most noise! This hotel has nice size rooms, comfi beds (pillow a little too hard), a balcony with an awning if Sun is out, a full shutter system to block light at night, just down the street from a good bakery, and a short walk to both beach area and train station! AND the comforter on bed is fantastic! Comparing this to small B&Bs often at same price, the major thing missing is advice from front desk staff(they are certainly not rude), although a tourist office is next door! Yann was the person at front desk who was super helpful!!!!! Other staff were okay. Maid staff were quick to say Bonjour and were very timely with cleaning room...quickest and earliest a room we stayed in was ready in morning compared to many "large chain" hotels we have stayed in before. Room and balcony both cleaned!! Menton itself is a cute beach town with nice areas to stroll around, but also just short train rides away from Monaco, Nice, and make sure to spend a little time in Villefranche sur Mer...especially if you are a beach person!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

This hotel should have a lot going for it, such as its central location within the town, a Mediterranean climate, large and comfortably refurbished bedrooms, and now being part of a large, French hotel group. And there are discounted deals to be had, too.

The bathrooms are a little strange, admittedly, as can be grasped from other reviews and photos, but they serve their purpose, by and large.

Things start to go awry after those features, though.

Satellite television is a listed feature. What is actually available are about 20 French language channels only - so NO international channels and NO Canal+ . . .

Air-conditioning is also listed. Arriving after 10pm in April, the room was uncomfortably warm. What was available ? Heated air only ! It appears that despite the location and climate, air-conditioning is ONLY made available from the week of the Monaco Grand Prix, in late May, until sometime in October i.e. for just 5 months of the year, at best !

Please remember, this is allegedly a 3 star hotel . . .

But if you're really looking for a battle, just ask for the (plastic) table and chairs on the balcony to be cleaned . . . It's warm, there's an agreeable view, but as a precaution, you've wiped along the balcony rail with a damp tissue, and then done the same to the chairs and table. The results are similar - several weeks, or even months, of grime to be removed.

So, leave a note requesting they be cleaned - in courteous French - on your dressing table, and also ask for the same at reception on your way out in the morning.

The result ? Zero improvement !

Mention it again at reception that day, and learn that cleaner has "done it."

Test again on mornings 2 and 3, request again at reception for said items to be cleaned with perhaps hot water and detergent, and be met with procession of denials or arguments, such as "I've checked" or "it's pollution! "
Final straw, when I asked the cleaner to inspect the balcony furniture with me - she armed with a dry towel, and myself with a dampened tissue - I was accused of using " a bad Kleenex" . . !

So, at reception, on 3rd morning, I asked for name of the manager, as I wished them to know of my dissatisfaction. I was given the names - husband and wife- and as they were not in, I went out.

When I returned, I saw the smartly turned-out male manager. He told me of their large investment in refurbishment, for which I commended him. However, regarding cleaning of balcony furniture, that had "not been a priority as it's too cold to sit out there, yet."

At that instant, I realised my error in selecting this hotel for a holiday. The guest certainly does NOT come first at the Hotel Chambord . . !

What a pity !

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank elDoctor59
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We came in with two Spaniels, no problem. Great location, 100 mtr. from the beach. Parking in front. Shopping around the corner. 10 minutes from the old fishing port, restaurants everywhere.
Big rooms, nice beds for French standards...normally it's bad.
Balconny. In the heart of Menton. 50 mtrs from Casino. Very friendly staff. Just Visit !

Room Tip: Ask for a bolconny and breakfast in room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boerdam
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel five years ago and an attempt has been made to refurbish the bedrooms and bathrooms. There is still work to do - the fridge door was loose together with the cupboard door housing the fridge was dropping off. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the public areas which are looking very tired and in need of some TLC..... On this occasion we stayed for 9 nights.

The problem which we experienced which prompts me to write this review is we came in one afternoon around 4pm to find very noisy work being carried out (the use of a hammer drill to go through brick walls!). We had returned to get away from the heat and have a rest!! We contacted the reception to ask about the noise to discover that the workmen were carrying out the installation of wiring for WIFI. We were told that the drilling would finish in a few minutes. It did. A few minutes later it resumed outside our bedroom door! I went to see what was happening and found two workmen drilling and nearly tripped over the supply wires of their appliances. They apologised. I then had a discussion with them in French to be told that they would have to drill through directly in front of our room. I did not think this was acceptable as we were on holiday and refurbishment work of this nature should be carried out during low season or when the hotel is closed.

As a result I negotiated with the workmen that they would return the following day to complete their drilling. Later on in the evening on the way to dinner, the receptionist confirmed that they were returning the following day between 12 noon and 4pm to complete the work, she implied that we should not be in the hotel during this time.

The hotel is in a convenient location for the railway station and bus station but we feel there hotels nearby that represent better value for money with a seafront location.

We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine7000
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here recently in a twin room.

The stay was ok, not the best I must admit.

First of all the lady on reception was a bit rude when we asked for help on a couple of things, such as wifi. Yes she did help us, but the attitude wasn't needed.

The room was very big but outdated and messy in terms of decoration. The bath is quite hazardous for people who have problem standing or a tendency to slip, as the bottom of the bath was very curved which made it difficult to have a shower. Also the shower door on the bath was pathetic, as we had to bend down to get into the shower. Also the whole desperate toilet and shower room is completely unnecessary, and to be honest going to the toilet was a bit scary as it was a tiny room with a toilet with NO hand basin. Didn't make sense.

We had a problem with closing and locking our balcony door, luckily for us we were in the forth floor so it didn't matter, but I would be concerned for travellers who are staying in the summer months or on lower floors.

The bed was ok, but the pillows were too hard. I would have preferred to be given to option of having a soft pillow too.

Overall, ok for a quick break at a good rate, but don't blow your holiday savings at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013