“Nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Riva

Hotel Riva
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Menton
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights in September 2012. We found the hotel rooms very clean, spacious and comfortable, but a little on the pricey side for late September at 125 euro a night plus 11 euros per person for breakfast. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and spoke very good English.

1  Thank COLCHRISNIC

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel Riva is situatted on the water front, with a small road (with quite a lot of traffic) between the ocean and the hotel. The sound of the ocean is however so "noisy" so it nearly neutralizes the traffic . The view over the ocean is great and the hotel is in general of a high 3 star standard. The swimmingpool area were closed for the season, however I believe that this is a nice spot during summer.
We could park free of charge just in the front of the hotel, as a few parking spots belongs to Hotel Riva, however otherwise there is parking nearby.
The rooms are of a reasonable size/quality and so are the bathrooms,
Breakfast in the ground floor can be eaten sitting outside, and was basic as expected.
All in all a good experience and I would chose Hotel Riva next time in Menton.

Room Tip: go for a sea view room, this really gives value
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Riva for one night as part of a European road trip. The whole trip was done on a moderate and carefully planned budget, and at about the £100 mark, this was the most expensive hotel I booked. I completed the trip with 2 different co-drivers, and this was my last night on the road with my partner, so I was hoping to 'save the best for last' on the hotel front.

I booked this place on the strength of it having a Jacuzzi / sauna as part of the roof top terrace area. I checked on the website that these facilities were open in late September, which they allegedly were. However, on arrival, it turned out that the Jacuzzis, although functional, were unheated. The weather temperature was around 25 degrees, and the Med was still absolutely perfect for swimming (which we did), but the Jacuzzis felt really really cold - far too cold to use comfortably - a Jacuzzi should be hot, so these are probably only pleasantly useable for a couple of months a year, and I have stayed in Greek and Italian hotels in hotter parts of the med which had heated Jacuzzis. Likewise, the Sauna was shut and locked up. On the basis that I paid full rate for my room, I felt a bit ripped off by the Riva Hotel, and have scored accordingly. If they are going to 'sell' the place on the strength of these facilities, they must be available and useable for guests.

The room itself was a mountain view room on the 6th (top) floor, which did have a great view of the mountains behind Menton, and I believe from reading other reviews that these rooms also have the most recent and decent décor. The room had a small but very useable balcony with a handy electric shutter as well as curtains, which blocked out all light and noise. However, when booking a room here, bear in mind that this view will only really be available on the top few floors, the lower floors will mainly be looking at trees and other buildings! I would also recommend requesting a 6th floor room. The 6th floor leads to the stairs to the roof terrace, so this is a direct stroll from a 6th floor room, but you are also nicely up above the noise of the roads below. The hotel has the coast road directly in front, and a parallel main road behind, so all rooms on lower floors are likely to suffer a little with traffic noise - as will any beach front hotel in Menton.

Our room was well furnished, if not that generously proportioned. The room was very clean on arrival. The balcony had the standard white plastic chairs and tables, but to be fair that’s all you actually need and the rest of the furnishings were to a good standard. There was a decent size bathroom with a heated towel rail and built in hair dryer. Air conditioning was built in and worked well. I cannot comment on the breakfast as we chose to have a stroll around the town and go elsewhere.

Although I have highlighted my personal gripes with the Riva, it is in a very good location and there were signs up indicating it will be closing over the winter for further refurbishment, therefore, may well be a good hotel to book for 2013.

Room Tip: Request a 6th floor room
1  Thank Rob373
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We have just returned from Menton and stayed 4 nights at Hotel Riva. I was so glad I had booked a sea view room with balcony. Fortunately we were on the 5th floor with a fabUlous view of the sea , boats, and the coastline. How fantastic to wake every morning to a blue sea sparkling in the sunshine and sit on the balcony having breakfast. It is well worth the extra money to pay for the sea view. We found the room very peaceful and could hardly hear any noise from adjoining rooms or upstairs - the soundproofing is very good.

I would recommend the breakfast here. It costs 11 euros for the buffet breakfast but the food is pretty much unlimited - lots of ham, cheese, bread, croissants, cereal, toast, yoghurts and fruit. You will see breakfast advertised in various cafes around town for 5 euros or so - but you need to remember that if you want more than one coffee that would add another 3 euros and you will only get a croissant and a roll. I think on balance the hotel is a much better deal.

We will definitely be going back next year - especially now that we have found how lovely and warm it is at this time of year in Menton.

Room Tip: Don't go for the 'Mountain view' option - it's just the road and buildings behind th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We styayed here in early september and enjoyed our stay,. We had a recently refurbished room overlooking the "mountains" which you could see from the top floors but in the lower floors the poplar trees block the view. The main road also runs at the back of the hotel but this wasnt a great problem for us as we were not at ground level and the double glazing meant a quiet nice sleep. The sun terrace was a great place to chill out and relax. A walk of approximately 10 minutes to the centre of Menton and the railway station. Recommended and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room facing the sea in the top floor will be best
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for 3 nights between 14 and 17 of September. The hotel was very clean with helpful staff and great facilities. The rooftop solarium and jacuzzi are the highlight of this hotel along with the great location. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and hope to return soon myself. The town of Menton itself is wonderful and we really didn't want to leave!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed in Menton for 6 day as part of a longer trip around Europe. The Hotel Riva is one of the highlights and we could not have been happier staying here. We had a mountain view and it was great. If you opt for this then try for the top floor as the view is so much better as you are above the tree line! You will also be closer to the rooftop solarium and jacuzzi. I have stayed on 4 and 5 star hotels that no where near as good as the Hotel Riva.