“Picture perfect”
Review of La Petite Maison

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Menton
La Petite Maison
Ranked #1 of 7 Menton B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here with my best friend and we were so excited. It seemed like a perfect end to a long stay in France. We were not disappointed! The room was gorgeous! I wished I could decorate my own home like it. It is right in the action, you just step out the door and you're right on the beach and where all the restaurants and shops are. Beatrice was amazing and served us two lovely breakfasts. The first was in the courtyard and the second was in the salon in her home (as it was raining). We couldn't have asked for a better stay!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Scrista
There are newer reviews for La Petite Maison

Reviewed July 27, 2013

First of all I need to be clear that I am writing this review reluctantly ... Selfishly I would much rather not share how utterly gorgeous La Petite Maison is, how enchanting it is to walk through a moorish door into a calm cool courtyard surrounded by trees, to be met by Beatrice, the most elegant, welcoming and gracious hostess, and to come home to her beautifully appointed rooms.

There are two studios, each pretty similar I think , with double height rooms with the bedroom on the mezzanine and plenty of storage and 'hanging out' space below. The bathrooms are delicious and stocked with lovely local products. The rooms have big fans which provide cool air and keep the mozzies away and every last detail - from the bed linen to the towels is of the best quality.

Beatrice's breakfasts are delicious - perfect to set you up for a day wandering around Menton or on the beach. I was travelling alone visiting friends so Beatrice was happy for my friend to come and meet me for breakfast every morning [it's that kind of place ...]

I have been visiting Menton for many years and can't believe that it has taken me this long to find La Petite Maison. And now that I have I will be devastated if I can't stay every time I come back ... but it's just too good not to share ...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sophienbee
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just returned after staying a week with Beatrice at La Petite Maison and thoroughly enjoyed it. The apartment is excellent for 2 people, very clean, lovely little courtyard and garden to relax in to read and have breakfast. Whilst there is no air conditioning the large fans supplied are ideal for keeping you cool. The only thing we felt would have been beneficial for guests would be the addition of a small fridge in the rooms however Beatrice very kindly offered to keep our drinks in her own fridge. Beatrice is a wonderful hostess, lots of tips on where to visit and her suggestions for restaurants were great. Menton is a lovely old town with pretty painted houses and a beautiful church tower. The old graveyard is fascinating to visit.

What we loved most about here was the mix of nationalities and it appears less likely to attract the cruise ship day trippers that descend on the other towns on the riviera. For us this was a real positive.
Two restaurants stood out for us as excellent, the Cote Sud, which was italian and the owner and her staff were fabulous and also the bistro Brazza which had excellent food at reasonable prices. We also enjoyed the vinotecca,the owner is really passionate and knowledgeable about the wines she serves and the nibbles are great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fay G
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We loved La Petite Maison! It's right in the centre of of the old town, yet as you walk away from the bustling port area, up the alley way to the house, the sounds of the town just fall away! Only the noise of seagulls to disturb your sleep but that's simply a feature of a holiday in Menton!
The rooms were lovely, great to have some space and somewhere to sit. The courtyard is beautiful and a lovely place to breakfast or read a book.
Béatrice gave us loads of tips for places to see (and some to avoid) and instructions on how to get there. One of our most memorable meals in Menton was by her recommendation; she even booked it for us.
We stayed a week and we'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marie-Louise F
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My friend and I visited Beatrice and La Petite Maison in early June and it was such a wonderful surprise to come into this beautiful courtyard of calm and tranquility. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable, brightly decorated in a shabby chic design (more chic than shabby!) and the breakfasts served in the delightful courtyard under the old lemon tree, with the smell of the lavender, were divine and plentiful to the point that lunch was unnecessary.

Menton as a town is a paradox. Sometimes it feels much more Italian than French and at others very Gallic. It has a definite medieval feel to the cobbled streets, alleyways, secret little doorways all overseen by the magnicent Basilica but whether Italian or French, the local people are very friendly and welcoming. There are many restaurants to choose from and loved the ones where you could sit and people watch and just generally relax and enjoy.

In some ways I didnt want to share this as Beatrice, La Petite Maison and Menton are hidden gems but somethings are just too good to keep to yourself, arent they?! I will definitely be going back - if there's room.......and I actually miss those church bells as I never wear a watch!

This really is a little treasure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JeannieEssex_13
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at La Petite Maison for four nights. We traveled with another couple and the four of us had the whole place to ourselves (there are only two units). The inn is tucked away off an alley in the pedestrian part of town, and it's only a minute's walk from wonderful shops and restaurants. Menton is absolutely charming and a perfect "base of operation" for day trips to other locations along the Cote D'Azur.

Beatrice is a gracious hostess and offered delicious breakfasts each morning--pastries, ham slices, coffee, freshly-squeezed OJ, etc. The units were clean and comfortable and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

It's best to be prepared for some things, such as sleeping in a loft and having to navigate a small wooden staircase to get to the bathroom at night. The beds are very comfortable and the skylight over them is nice, but seagulls, cats, and church bells make a lot of noise at night and in the early morning. We used the fan to drown out those sounds and keep us cool, and that worked out fine. Also, our unit only had a hand-held shower and tub; the other had a full shower (you might want to request your preference).

Beatrice was very helpful about places to visit and methods to get there. The Menton train station is about a 15-minute walk from the inn; so is the bus station (they are about a block away from each other). We highly recommend visiting Beausujoir restaurant in the tiny hamlet of Gorbio (see reviews on TripAdvisor).

A big thumbs up for this quaint B&B in this absolutely charming town.

Room Tip: I hate handheld showers--if you do too, then request the room with the full shower.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank docproc
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Wonderful B&B in the heart of Vieux Menton. Truly a great location, just steps away from shops and restaurants. The room we had was nicely decorated and furnished. Such a nice and peaceful place to come back to after a long day of sight seeing and traveling. It was clean and well maintained. Beatrice is such a sweet lady and was so welcoming and accomodating. We really enjoyed ourselves there.

A couple of downsides: there is no parking - there is parking not too far away, right outside Vieux Menton. Also, don't make the mistake my husband and I made, you cannot drive up to the place since all of Vieux Menton is pedestrian only and no cars are allowed! So park your car outside- there are parking lots a couple blocks away and walk over.
Another thing: the church bells ring from 7am to 10pm, for the light sleepers and late nighters, this may be a deterrent.

Great value and a wonderful place- I highly recommend it

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple