“Bonkers!”
Review of Le Georges V

Le Georges V
Ranked #231 of 286 Restaurants in Menton
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We three lovely old ladies sat down at Georges V at about 1.00 p.m. on the last beautiful day of our beautiful holiday in Menton - quelle horreur! The sun shone, the sea sparkled and the patronne took our order for dorade with citron, saying it is prepared a la maison and would we wait 20 minutes? She seemed charmante. We agreed, ordered rose and a beer, then 2 salads pour grignoter en attendant ... then we chatted... One hour later lady tried to summon la patronne an hour later but she turned away. Another went to the loo and returned saying there could be a problem! The "chef" was surrounded by stacks of dirty plates which he was attempting to stack in teetering piles. I asked the (lovely) waiter if there was un petit probleme? He looked worried. He crossed over and a Manuel/Basil Fawlty scenario ensued near the kitchen, with him shrugging and gesticulating. At 3.00 I crossed the road and entered to speak with La Patronne in French. She shouted at me that this is France, that waiting must be expected and that the fish was ready! Expecting immediate service, I returned to my seat ... Madame did not follow! I placed 40 euros on the table for 2 tomato and mozzarella salads (nice!) a half carafe of rose and a small beer. We strolled down the Promenade du Soleil in search of lunch! Suddenly La Patronne ran up behind us, sweating and shouting about salads and calling the police. I told her to call them. It was funny and I wanted my day in court. I referred to the 40 euros. "Oh!" she said and retreated, back down the road. We went to a lovely patisserie in the old town and had Earl Grey with loads of cake to calm down. It was 4.00. on a lovely sunny afternoon in Menton et nous avons bien ri, car il n'y avait pas de dorade au citron!
Why oh why? Pourquoi she did not explain politely at the time of ordering? How long could we have waited had we not left then? How do the lovely old waiters stand it? Is there a chef at all?
Go there if you fancy the kind of fun we had! But not if you are hungry ... or scare easily!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Food is mediocre, price is high, plus they are very creative in charging for the things you didn't order. I ordered a fish from the menu for 16 euros but they said they don't have it and offered different fish, but didn't say that this other fish will cost 26 euros. According to menu fish comes with a salad, but they charged 10 euros for salad anyway. Stay away!

1  Thank Val3270
Reviewed August 1, 2013

In this restaurant even serving some simple drinks is a big problem. We waited for 45 min and then decided to leave. This is the worst place we have been to in a very long time.

1  Thank Jongebloet
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Dropped in for a late lunch. My wife had a very good Cesar Salad and decided to go for the house special: paella which turned out to be a very good choice. Waiter was polite and efficient. Good value for money and we will be back/

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Rude owner, waited too long for food, waited too long for food. No need to go here, lots of other options

1  Thank Jelly4fish