I stayed at this hotel when researching for a book recently (July 2013). I chose it because it was close to the places I needed to visit: the great villas of the 1930s on Cap d’Antibes, Golfe Juan and Cannes, also the local minicipal archives in Cannes, Vallhauris etc. I reckoned that with the name of a prestigious international hotel chain (which I use regularly elsewhere) you can’t go far wrong. In a way this was correct.The hotel was comfortable, beds comfortable, everything in the bedrooms worked and they were well equipped the elevators worked, you never felt crowded. The price seemed reasonable for a 4 star hotel. The staff were attentive and pleasant, especially the concierge who went out of his way to help me, arranged airport transfers etc. There is a nice pool and lounging area.
Can you hear the ‘but’ coming? Yes there is a but. The in-room Wifi was not free -disgraceful at these prices. The restaurant has a very limited, uninteresting menu for dinner (though the breakfast buffet was good). The hotel decor is minimalist – for which you could read ‘soulless’ (ok for a 4 day business trip – not very good for a 2 week holiday perhaps). The hotel ‘private’ beach is a long hike through a park – I used it once on my last day there and it took me almost 10 minutes walking in the hot sun to get there. The beach is crowded and expensive and the food in the beach cafe is – again – disappointing compared, that is, to the many terrific pavement bistros nearby (see below).
But the worst thing of all was that on one evening there was a ‘private event’ held at the pool side. This meant that the pool was closed to hotel guests during the afternoon for a rehearsal – that didn’t bother me as I was out working; had I been on vacation I might have felt miffed. But the event itself began at 9pm and went on until after midnight, with very loud (amplified) music and microphone. I had paid extra to have a balcony overlooking the pool thinking it would make my room quieter – no traffic etc. In the event no one overlooking the pool was able to get to sleep that evening - or even watch TV – much before 12.30am or later, since it proved hard to settle after the racket stopped. Next morning after I complained to the manager and he offered me a (I thought paltry) reduction of 40 Euros off my 140 Euros late checkout charge as I wasn’t leaving until 4pm. I took it, but I wasn’t mollified. This is not a cheap hotel - and I would rather have had the sleep the night before. The management should consider the needs of the hotel guests over the extra revenue from private functions. Would I stay there again. No. There are better hotels nearby.
Some sundry recommendations nearby: A great brasserie (opposite the park) is Le Parroquet (the Parrot) which served fantastic and very varied food and good wines. Five minute walk from the hotel. Really great service - average 40 Euros pp without wine.
Organised for me by the hotel Concierge: A day sail on the med on a 30ft sailing yacht from Port Vaubin, Antibes (enabled me to get photographs for a book of villas that one could not see on land due to security measures). This yacht is called Shep As and is skippered by Luc Maraldo. His charge is 30 Euros each for parties of 2 -5. An amazing bargain considering local prices. It was work for me but enjoyable work; would make a great day out for vacationers. Check Luc out at www.location-camping-car-voillier.com
Almost next door to the hotel is a massive new underground supermart called Casino. Bottled water there is less than a Euro for 2 litres (in the hotel a tiny bottle is 5 Euros).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Juan-les-Pins, near the famous Gould pine grove - renowned for its summer jazz concerts, and just 200 meters from its own private sandy beach, the AC by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes Juan Les Pins basks in an idyllic setting of greenery, palm trees and azure blue. The avant-garde architecture and a setting of greenery, makes the hotel a well-known address on the French Riviera. From the palm trees along the blue lagoon outdoor pool to the own private sandy beach, everything is here to make you feel at ease and relaxed! The AC by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes Juan Les Pins is also an ideal place for your meetings and events with the 20 flexible meetings rooms than can accommodate up to 200 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Marriott, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your AC Hotel by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes- Juan les Pins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambassadeur Hotel Juan Les Pins
- Ambassadeur Juan Les Pins