“Less than wholly impressed by this Marriott Hotel”

AC Hotel by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes- Juan les Pins
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Juan-les-Pins
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel when researching for a book recently (July 2013). I chose it because it was close to the places I needed to visit: the great villas of the 1930s on Cap d’Antibes, Golfe Juan and Cannes, also the local minicipal archives in Cannes, Vallhauris etc. I reckoned that with the name of a prestigious international hotel chain (which I use regularly elsewhere) you can’t go far wrong. In a way this was correct.The hotel was comfortable, beds comfortable, everything in the bedrooms worked and they were well equipped the elevators worked, you never felt crowded. The price seemed reasonable for a 4 star hotel. The staff were attentive and pleasant, especially the concierge who went out of his way to help me, arranged airport transfers etc. There is a nice pool and lounging area.
Can you hear the ‘but’ coming? Yes there is a but. The in-room Wifi was not free -disgraceful at these prices. The restaurant has a very limited, uninteresting menu for dinner (though the breakfast buffet was good). The hotel decor is minimalist – for which you could read ‘soulless’ (ok for a 4 day business trip – not very good for a 2 week holiday perhaps). The hotel ‘private’ beach is a long hike through a park – I used it once on my last day there and it took me almost 10 minutes walking in the hot sun to get there. The beach is crowded and expensive and the food in the beach cafe is – again – disappointing compared, that is, to the many terrific pavement bistros nearby (see below).
But the worst thing of all was that on one evening there was a ‘private event’ held at the pool side. This meant that the pool was closed to hotel guests during the afternoon for a rehearsal – that didn’t bother me as I was out working; had I been on vacation I might have felt miffed. But the event itself began at 9pm and went on until after midnight, with very loud (amplified) music and microphone. I had paid extra to have a balcony overlooking the pool thinking it would make my room quieter – no traffic etc. In the event no one overlooking the pool was able to get to sleep that evening - or even watch TV – much before 12.30am or later, since it proved hard to settle after the racket stopped. Next morning after I complained to the manager and he offered me a (I thought paltry) reduction of 40 Euros off my 140 Euros late checkout charge as I wasn’t leaving until 4pm. I took it, but I wasn’t mollified. This is not a cheap hotel - and I would rather have had the sleep the night before. The management should consider the needs of the hotel guests over the extra revenue from private functions. Would I stay there again. No. There are better hotels nearby.
Some sundry recommendations nearby: A great brasserie (opposite the park) is Le Parroquet (the Parrot) which served fantastic and very varied food and good wines. Five minute walk from the hotel. Really great service - average 40 Euros pp without wine.
Organised for me by the hotel Concierge: A day sail on the med on a 30ft sailing yacht from Port Vaubin, Antibes (enabled me to get photographs for a book of villas that one could not see on land due to security measures). This yacht is called Shep As and is skippered by Luc Maraldo. His charge is 30 Euros each for parties of 2 -5. An amazing bargain considering local prices. It was work for me but enjoyable work; would make a great day out for vacationers. Check Luc out at www.location-camping-car-voillier.com
Almost next door to the hotel is a massive new underground supermart called Casino. Bottled water there is less than a Euro for 2 litres (in the hotel a tiny bottle is 5 Euros).

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are good, but beware of 'private functions which go on late. Ther...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MaryLovell
Frederic_Schaub1, Manager at AC Hotel by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes- Juan les Pins, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear «MaryLovell »,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the AC Hotel Ambassadeur Antibes - Juan les Pins.

We appreciate your very positive feedback about your nice experience with us. We are also delighted to read that you enjoyed your day sail on the Mediterranean, organized by our concierge.

However, we regret to learn that some services don’t meet your expectations.
We are sorry that the hotel decor and the restaurant menu were not to your taste as we have usually very nice feedback.

Since a few days, the WIFI is free and unlimited in the public areas.

As regards our private beach, indeed in July and August we’re very busy due to the very picturesque site. However, our rates are in line with most of the nice private beach from the region.

We apologize for the inconvenience our private event at the pool caused. It’s exceptional for the hotel to hold such kind of event, and we can assure you that we did our best to limit the noise and to not disturb our guests.

We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed 2 nights with my family in July, and found the hotel to be disappointing. The two rooms were tiny – and should never have allowed for an extra bed like we booked (and paid for). We used the pool area the first day – and found the service of the staff to be really un-polite and you immediately got the feeling that as a guest – you were disturbing them. Actually we felt neglected! The food at the snack-bar by the pool was nothing to write home about – and I would strongly recommend to eat somewhere else….. Internet is expensive unless in the lobby area – and we were told that up to 6 devices could be linked to one 24-hour purchase – did not work at all. On the positive side – the beach is great – especially the pier – however again extremely expensive.

I travel a lot – and this is defiantly not what I expected from a 5 star hotel – more like a 4 star - at a maximum. Next time in Juan-le-Pins – we will choose another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Frederic_Schaub1, Manager at AC Hotel by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes- Juan les Pins, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear “vibekeml”,

Thank you for sharing your experience among us. We have forwarded your feedback to our departmental heads.

We are sorry to learn that the service and the food at the pool didn’t meet your expectations. Our main goal is to provide very good quality of services and your feedback is very valuable.

Very soon, we will propose to our guest free Internet access in all public areas.
It’s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our private beach and for sure we charge the same rates than most of the nice private beach from the region and much less than in some other nearby cities like Cannes.

We truly hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Having returned yesterday from a 8 night stay , The hotel is very pleasant and spotlessly clean , The staff on the front desk were very helpful as our luggage had been badly damaged at the airport . We would like to say a special thank you to Morgane, She is a asset to the hotel and is a lovely young lady. It was a shame that the restaurant menu was not changed throughout the 8 days that we were there as we would have liked to have eaten there . Thank you to all the staff.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear “aprilTelford”,

Thank-you very much for your very kind comments and we are happy that you spent some good time in our hotel.

We have forwarded your feedback to our reception team, and especially to Morgane.

As regards the Fushi restaurant, we change the menu regularly every season. However, we propose to our guests a large choice of flavors and daily specials in our beach restaurant, our Blu Lounge, our pool-side grill and our room service.

All the team is looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Modern nice room, very clean. Showers difficult to not soak entire floor. Room amenities lack bar soap, wash cloths (I hear normal for Europe). Parking is public parking under hotel. You can pay parking at hotel, however they do not inform you of this at check in or check out. The payment machine was not working though no note on machine. We encountered very few people in area who spoke ANY English, including the banks. The most helpful people in hotel were other guests.

• Stayed: June 2013
Frederic_Schaub1, Manager at AC Hotel by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes- Juan les Pins, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear “BethS132”,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the AC Marriott Ambassadeur.

We are sorry to read that your stay wasn’t completely enjoyable for you.

We took in consideration all your valuable comments regarding the bathroom, the parking payment machine. Concerning English speakers this is strange as most of our team members do speak English at the hotel especially at reception and restaurants.

Looking forward to welcome you again at the AC Marriott Ambassadeur.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Bar staff very impolite. Unlike mentioned on the website of the Ambassadeur Internet is free for only 1 hour. After that you have to pay.
For use of the beds by the pool you have to pay.
This is below standard for a Marriott hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear “robhan”,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we regret to learn that some services were not at your expected level.

We have forwarded your feedback to our restaurant manager.
About the Internet service, we provide unlimited free internet access in public areas since July.

The sunbeds and towels are free in our outdoor pool for all our guests. However, the sunbeds are charged in our private beach, but the towels still free.

We sincerely hope that you’ll choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed here in the month of May 2013, as part of my group tour in France. I was told by my tour director that the hotel was really great, but honestly it was not. First of all the door keys just won't work. We had just spent the entire day travelling from Lyon and came here via a stop at Monte Carlo, so it was a very, very long day for us. Then, when we got the key at the reception, they just won't work. And the problem was not just with my keys, it was the same with many other fellow travelers as well. I had to go down with my and someone else's keys and got them exchanged. Even after exchanging, it took me many swipes to finally open the door.

There was a lot of construction going out, so my neighbor could not get proper sleep. I did not have any problem.

Breakfast was nice. But the staff at the breakfast reception wasn't very friendly. I have seen much friendlier staff and I can tell you that that staff was not very friendly.

There was free wi-fi, but the free wi-fi was only available in the reception. And it was only available in the bar area!! This is not what you expect from a five star hotel. A hotel of this caliber should have free wi-fi in rooms as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear “Kayezad”,

Thank you for choosing the AC Hotel Ambassadeur as your holiday’s destination.

All your valuable comments are taken into consideration to increase our service level.

About the construction site, we are happy to let you know that the new convention center is now fully finished, so all the disturbances near the hotel are over for good already.

We have forwarded your feedback regarding the breakfast staff to our restaurant manager.
Moreover, it might be of your interest to know that, since July, we provide free internet access in
public areas.

Looking forward to your next visit at the AC Hotel Ambassadeur.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a high quality hotel, with some 'issues'
The bad stuff. It is next door to a building site, so nto quiet during the working day. This will pass...
Secondly, the indoor gym and pool aren't very good.

However, the outdoor pool is splendid, the rooms are well appointed and very comfortable, the satff are very nice indeed, and the hotel is very well positioned for Juan, the Cap and a short walk into Antibes.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the bak while building work goes on .
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank UkJoe
Frederic_Schaub1, Manager at AC Hotel by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes- Juan les Pins, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear “UkJoe”,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We appreciate your positive comments about our facilities and we regret that our indoor gym and pool were not up to your expectations.

We would like also to apologize for the inconvenience coming from the convention center being under construction; and the good news is that all is being finished this week with no more disturbances to expect anymore.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Juan-les-Pins
Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa
#5 of 47 in Juan-les-Pins
Hotel Helios
Hotel Helios
#14 of 47 in Juan-les-Pins

Been to AC Hotel by Marriott Ambassadeur Antibes- Juan les Pins? Share your experiences!