“Small and laid back”

Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Hyeres
Toronto, Canada
“Small and laid back”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I actually looked for this hotel. I didnt just ended up there, I've read reviews ahead of driving all the way up on that hill. I loved the place and location.

People complaint about owners being rude and unfriendly. You have to understand, this is Provence, locals are laid back, they live at a different pace, small village, less stress and lot of time, nothing to get hyper about. They take for ever to have a croissant and coffee in the morning reading the news papers, they do say hi and bye but they are not big talkers, just enough not to be considered rude . They are just as quiet just as the county they live in.

We, travelers, can sometimes require too much attention and we can be loud. Like the tourist returning from pubs at 1:00 pm and talking and laughing loud in front of this quiet hotel. Again, this is Provence, open windows and quiet nights. How do you thinks owners and other locals like that? They dont and I didnt like it either and no, I am not a local.

Dont get confused if you read all the reviews below. It is a beautiful place, small hotel with small rooms but in such beautiful setting. Parking, yes, it is reduced to a few cars, but there is a lot down the hill. People also complain about the steep hill you have to drive up to get to the hotel. Well, this is the beauty of it. This is what makes it beautiful. You knew its on the hills, why did you book it?
Visa problems? Pay cash for a night, is not expensive for Ssouth of France. I only paid about 70 euros for a night, with breakfast.

I stayed there on August 31 and loved every minute of it! The breakfast was one of a kind.
Spices were had picked from the garden in front of you and when I asked for tea I was given fresh leaves from a pot in front of me. See picture. Good fresh breakfast on a quiet and sunny South of France day....

The old city is a gem. I was given clear instructions and maps, frankly I find the owners very friendly. They dont talk much, but they will tell you what you need to know.

I give them 5 star on location, and 4 stars for service. If I ever go back in Hyeres, I will stay there again.

Room Tip: It is a corner building, therefore you will get a street view :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank aquauomo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2012

While the people who worked there were courteous I did not like that fact that they would not let you stay (even though it had all been pre-paid) without taking credit card details and promptly taking $150 out. I am still $150 down....

Room Tip: The rooms are really pokey.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Gypsylee62
Berlin
Reviewed September 9, 2009

The Hotel is great located next to the medieval part of the city center with a great view but the street is really steep so older or disabeled will get into trouble.
The owners are quite bizarre: they give you the feeling of disturbing them by your presence. The reception was hardly ever occupied so if you have questions or need a taxi it is on you to organize it so service is really poor.
it seems to me, that the owners run the hotel as incidental earnings and do not want to spend time or energy on guests.
breakfast is ok but the attitude of the woman who is serving is also really strange, was bossing people.
small but functional rooms.

• Stayed September 2009
6 Thank CocoBerlin
Belgium
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We did not like the attitude of the owner, parking facilities and cramped bed- and bathroom. We made our booking for 3 nights directly via the hotel's website, and paid the first night upfront at the time of booking. At the time of check-in at the hotel, we didn't like what we saw and wanted to shorten our stay to 1, maximum 2 nights. According to the owner, this was not possible as we would always loose one night's stay, if we would stay less than the initially booked 3 nights.
We did not like the tiny bed- and bathrooms. Originally, it was an old building with good-sized bedrooms. At the time of refurbishing, the owners squeezed in a bathroom into each bedroom. Do not drop your soap in the 80x80cm showerstall, or you're in trouble. There is no storage place for your backpack or suitcase either.
The Hotel entrance is located at the top of a hill. You really need to be a skilled driver when manouvering on this steep slope.
There is a (free) parking lot for approximately 10 cars at the hotel entrance. This is however completely occupied after 5:00 pm, forcing you to park downtown (with parkingmeters), and forcing you to climb up the steep hill on foot.
We did like the quitness of the area, and the closeness to the medieval city.
This place is not suitable for older or disabled persons, or inexperienced drivers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Frank014

Travelers are raving about these Hyeres hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Having booked the hotel over the net, we were somewhat apprehensive prior to arrival, but ended up being pleasantly surprised.
The Hotel is located in the older part of the town just below the medieval fort. The rooms are quiet small, typical of older French hotels, but we had three adults in a room, with a divider. The shower/bathroom is small but functional, and the room was serviced every day.
The breakfast was very good and always served with a smile and a warm welcome.
The hotel is very close to the main square where there are numerous restaurants, and the narrow laneways leading off the square have a multitude of shops, and not all aimed at tourists.
If there was one criticism it would be that the owner was somewhat non-communicative, but the rest of the staff were great and appreciated our feeble attempts at speaking French. (Luckily our 22 year old is fluent!)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Oztravellersydney
London
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We stayed at the hoteil du soleil in June 2008 and found it rather basic. We booked on the hotel internet and was given a 'discount'. However, when we got home after the holiday and received our credit card statement we found that the hotel had taken an unauthorised 80 euro on top of the pre-agreed price that we had signed for with our credit card. My wife is a fluent french speaker and called the hotel to query and we were told we were billed extra for the breakfast. Now had I have been told when we arrived that breakfast was 10 euro per day each or whatever it was I would have said fine no problem, but nothing was mentioned about any extra cost when we checked in, the guy just told us what time breakfast was, then promptly billed us for it and took it straight from my credit card without any consent. He never even gave us any invoice. I have stayed all over the world (at a lot better hotels than this one) and where breakfast is not included I have always been told this in advance and given the option. I have never had a hotel just debit my card without saying anything. I have never writen a hotel review before, but was incensed that this place could just take money out of my card like that - had the options been explained to me, fine, but I found the way they acted was extremely underhand and devious, all for a few extra euros.
We also agreed with the other reviewer, we found the guy very rude as well, he was kind of arrogant - it was almost as though he was doing you a favour letting you stay in his hotel!! bizarre I know. I would stay well clear of this hotel if every I returned to Hyeres. I believe that you get what you pay for and this was, well....cheap. je ne vais jamais recommend cet hotel!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the owner and his devious tactics of debiting your credit card
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank LondonClacker
London, UK
Reviewed September 22, 2006

We (French-speaking English family of 4, including two 20+ year old children) booked two one-night stays, 5 days apart, directly with the hotel in mid-September 2006, paying 103 euros for a family room (maximum capacity 5, in two sections, with a partition between) on the 3rd floor directly under the roof, with a double bed, bunk bed and single bed, and an inevitably cramped but perfectly functional lavatory/washbasin/shower, all of which we found neatly designed, clean, and enjoying a great view over the city roofs towards the airport and the islands of Porquerolles and Port Cros/Levant beyond. We had no hesitation in coming back 5 days later for another night. The room had a large television, direct dial telephone, + WiFi for a standard charge. Our price included a standard French breakfast each. The owner-managers are a nice couple, probably in their 40s, who took time to offer advice on restaurants, call cabs for us, keep bags etc. All in all it was a hotel we couldn't fault - and we cannot understand what motivated the only other review this hotel appears to have prompted. Young family, London

Stayed August 2006