“extraordinary experience”

La Bastide Saint Antoine - Jacques Chibois
Reserve with
La Bastide Saint Antoine - Jacques Chibois is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 168 Restaurants in Grasse
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Bastide Saint Antoine is now famously know for its 1 Michelin Star Restaurant where you will be able to enjoyed a cuisine based on lightness, delicacy and creativity, with fresh seasonal products, in a magical environment. Five months a year, you will be able to enjoy your meal on our terrace under great trees, in the middle of our flower garden. For the rest of the year, we offer a inside dining room with a fireplace and a tasteful and light decoration. Our Chef Jacques Chibois is pleased to offer you different Menus depending on the market products and on his guests' special requests.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were not able to stay at La Bastide Saint Antoine, but we did have the great good fortune of having dinner here. I have the good fortune, from time to time, to dine at very good restaurants in the course of my work, many of them presided over by grands chefs of Relais & Chateaux, as is Jacques Chibois. This meal , however, was a 25th anniversary dinner, but it was not just the emotional situation that made the difference. This evening was beautifully constructed and sensitively choreographed as only the very best of my experience have been. It was one of the most expensive meals of my life and also one of the best.

What Chibois has done is to create a space in which we, as diners, can open up and experience all the sensations around a meal in a fresh way. This begins with the environment, arranged around an open lawn with statuary of three Muses in one corner and lighting that creates a sanctuary while also revealing the valley below. We chose the Menu Decouverte - the tasting menu, and I strongly recommend it. Yes, it is 9 courses - in our case actually 11 - but that actually is just right for what M. Chibois has in store for you. Beginning with the first of three amuse bouche offerings, an explosion of tomato within what looked like a "naked raspeberry" sans seeds, the sensation woke us up, announcing that we should pay attention. Every mouthful from now on would have something to say, and each one would be different. I think Chibois is, to some extent, a scientist of taste. This menu seemed designed to touch on all possible tastes and smells in a carefully ordered manner. He is very well versed in tradition and he is consistently inventive within it, as when he created a sabayon of ceps (boletus mushrooms from the Limousin). Leaving out the cream that usually goes with ceps, but using the froth of eggs and reduced mushroom broth he created what to both me and my wife, who hunt mushrooms, experienced as the ultimate Cep flavour.

The Sommelier was amazingly skillful, guiding us with ease through the wines of Provence. We enjoyed a Chateau Saint Roseline white (ancient local Rolle grapes), and he wisely suggested we add a glass of red Bellet to go with the meat dish. And the cheese selection was one of the best I've ever seen, with the goat varieties offered on a completely different tray from the cow and sheep.

Our meal began around 8pm and ended after 11:30pm, and there was not a wasted minute during that time. The maitre d' who spoke excellent English and recognized that we had little French, paid close attention to us throughout. We were the last to leave and he said he was happy when people "reste" with him, because it means they have appreciated the food and the service. And that was exactly so.

LaBastideStAntoine, Directeur général at La Bastide Saint Antoine - Jacques Chibois, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I just see your comment, and I wish to thank you for finding the time to do this after your 25th Anniversary Dinner at The Bastide Saint Antoine.

As you are aware, we constantly strive to offer high-quality service, worthy of the image we wish to give to The Bastide Saint Antoine. We much appreciate the assessments of our customers and use them to improve our establishment in order to achieve an impeccable level of service.

Hoping we’ll have the pleasure to welcome you in our property when you next come to la Côte d’Azur,

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Having spent the past 5 years in Cote Azur , this was our first visit after been recently referred by a couple of Canadians who have been staying in the region for the past 15 years. Lunch was fully booked for the couple of dates we were trying to get into so we went for dinner instead. They only take booking for 8 pm onwards ( from my observation , they probably only do one seating per night ) the menu offers 3 options, alacarte , 5 course & the 9 course . Naturally we went for the full 9 yard as wanted to taste as many dishes as possible of what they had to offer. We were not disaapointed with the amazing array of taste & texture, unfortunately the kitchen were trying to sync the pace of delivering the dishes with the first batch of customers and subsequent ones that came in at 8.30-9 pm . So after our 4th course , the spread of time between each course became wider and longer. We did not finish till 11.30 pm !
Next time round we will just go for alacarte or the 5 course offer.

LaBastideStAntoine, Directeur général at La Bastide Saint Antoine - Jacques Chibois, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I just see your comment, and I wish to thank you for finding the time to do this after your Dinner at The Bastide Saint Antoine.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Today was my birthday and since my wife and I enjoy eating we spent a couple of hours on the internet reviewing the local offers. First of all let me share with you my thoughts on price: on the French Riviera top notch restaurants are expensive for dinner, typically $200 - $250 per person plus drinks. If this is not in your price range (as it is not in ours) you need to look-up those restaurants that offer a "business" menu, "lunch" menu or equivalent name at a much lower price. La Bastide St Antoine is one of those and I can assure you that their 59 Euro menu (just under $75) is the best proposition around. This menu is composed of a starter, main dish and dessert BUT unequaled is the fact that each provides 7 - 9 choices of the finest foods.
I understand the reaction of those foreign to fancy french food as even the french people are sometimes at a loss in understanding the menu. Here Chef Chibois isn't trying to be fancy he is helping you chose ! the more your mouth waters .... Today I tried an old favorite. Here is what Google says: "the simmered lobster, prawn risotto with dry porcini mushrooms in champagne". Get the message ?
Enough for the food. We have been coming here on and off since Chef Jacques Chibois opened 16 years ago. He still has the same talent and has managed to impose the same high standards to his assistants.
Last year we were disappointed. There was a "miss" on the cooking of the meat which threw everything off as we then needed an extra 30 minutes to get everyone served together. This unfortunate misstep should not happen but "c'est la vie". Most annoying was the service. Can't put my finger on it: was it the sudden rain ? was it a packed terrace with too many apprentices who had difficulty coping ? In any case today the service lived up to high expectations which we had been used to.
Finally the setting.is that of a 5 star Relais & Chateau in an 18th century mansion. Only 16 rooms .... The restaurant is cosy but as others have indicated sitting on the terrace is a treat. It is not a regular square terrace but U shaped - along the building and one side beneath the chestnut trees - surrounding a large lawn and looking out at the hills below Grasse.
If you can't make it there dream from the pictures on their website.
Otherwise ... BON APPETIT !

LaBastideStAntoine, Directeur général at La Bastide Saint Antoine - Jacques Chibois, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I just see your comment, and I wish to thank you for finding the time to do this after your lunch at The Bastide Saint Antoine.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The lunch menu provides fantastic choice, and this is the main problem here. But rest assured,the dishes have been honed to appeal. I had Pintade (Guinea Fowl) with girolles and it was great, Lunch consists of several courses in a relaxing and pleasant setting. We have been fortunate enough to eat here on our annual holiday for several years, and the standard remains high. We had minor quibbles on service, but they seen genuinely interested in maintaining a top notch experience.

LaBastideStAntoine, Directeur général at La Bastide Saint Antoine - Jacques Chibois, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Reviewed August 1, 2012

One of my favourite places, this restaurant has an amazing setting to start with. Even if you go on their terrace for lunch in the full heat of summer you'll be very comfortable under the big trees. Then comes the service, perfect. The sommelier knows exactly what he's doing and every choice he's help us make was always impeccable. Will all this it's already an incredible place but the food brings you even closer to heaven. It's researched, precise, tasteful and delicious to the palate and the eyes. A perfect place.

LaBastideStAntoine, Directeur général at La Bastide Saint Antoine - Jacques Chibois, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

The whole team of The Bastide Saint Antoine, remains at your entire disposal for any additional information, to ensure that you benefit from the utmost comfort during your next meal with us.

Hoping we’ll have the pleasure to welcome you at The Bastide Saint Antoine when you next come to la Côte d’Azur,