“Day Trip to Eze, France”
Review of Eze

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
USA
15 helpful votes
“Day Trip to Eze, France”
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Eze, situated between Nice and Monaco, is a picturesque medieval village perched on a mountain 1,400 feet above the French Riviera with breathtaking views of the Mediterranean below. The trek up ancient cobblestone streets is well worth the journey, as beautiful gardens and the ruins from a 14th century castle are the reward for those who make it to the top.

Along the way you will find charming shops, recessed like caves into the mountain, that offer tourists the opportunity to select souvenirs ranging from exquisite French silks, linens and tapestry to porcelain produced by local artists. Based on your wants, you may purchase major works of art or local craft items, as suits your budget.

As you wind your way through the village, flowers abound in window boxes and shops as well as in the botanical garden at the summit which you will not want to miss. Late fall proved to be the perfect time to visit as the gardens were lush with blooms and the temperature remained in the high 60's to low 70's throughout our travels in France. Also a pleasant surprise is the fact that cars, bicycles, and other vehicles are not allowed on the cobblestone streets which were built for donkey carts.

The trip to Eze from dazzling Monaco is like turning back a page in time. It's fairy tale setting is in stark contrast with the opulence and grandeur of Monaco and is sure to provide many photo opportunities for historians we well as photo buffs. Be sure to take the high coastal road to maximize your view on the way to Eze, and plan to spend a leisurely afternoon in one of the most beautiful settings on the Mediterranean.

15 Thank Clauje
Centreville, VA
16 helpful votes
“One of the lovely Medieval "Perched Villages" on the Riviera.”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Eze, France sits at about 500 meters above the beautiful blue Mediterranean just to the east of Nice, France. We reached it easily by train from Cagne-sur-Mer where we were staying. A local bus then took us up to the ancient village. A number of fine restaurants lie at the base of the old town before you start your final assent. No vehicles can navigate the winding, narrow streets to the top. We ate lunch at "Le Cheval Blanc" (The White Horse) on the terrace in the sunshine and had a delicious meal of grilled lamb chops, augmented by a fine Provence red wine.

We then took a leisurely climb up the winding street to the old village. Towns like Eze were built high on rocky promontories in the Middle Ages to aid in their protection from marauding tribes. The streets and buildings, although hundreds of years old, are all well maintained and abound with beautiful flowers and hanging plants. In fact, the town is renowned for its lovely gardens which flourish on the south slope of the mountain down to sea level.

Many of the old residences had been converted into fine art galleries, jewelry shops, and boutiques; however, we did not feel overwhelmed by the commercialization as we had in some other towns. Beautiful photo opportunities presented themselves at every turn of one of the narrow streets.

As the afternoon wound down we relaxed on the south facing terrace of the lovely Chateau Eza Hotel and enjoyed a refreshing drink while looking over the valley and the beautiful blue Mediterranean below. If your travels take you to The Riviera in France I highly recommend a side trip to "The Perched Village" of Eze

15 Thank Veritas59
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
45 helpful votes
“Step up the hill, step back in time”
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I am a middle-aged woman from Missouri. I spent two weeks traveling with my grown daughter in France, July 2009. We split our time between Paris, le Mont St. Michel and Nice. FYI - summer crowds are huge, greater than you might imagine. Pick another time of year to visit France if at all possible.

Before going, I spent time listening to French language tapes I checked out from my local library. I was determined to not be the stereotypical arrogant American tourist. My efforts were rewarded with friendly smiles and helpful service throughout France.

We traveled easily everywhere solely by public transportation - metro, bus, TGV or RER train.

We caught the bus to Eze le village from the main bus depot in Nice. As I recall, the scenic ride was under an hour long. If you go, be sure to get on the Eze le village bus, which takes you higher up the hillside than the Eze bus. Your knees will thank you. There is plenty of climbing as it is from the Eze le village stop.

Eze is a lovely little hilltop village from another era. The village is all narrow, cobblestoned paths. No room for cars. Lots of little shops, most with very appealing, artsy, mostly unique wares. A few shops were a little touristy, but after all, that is how they earn a living there. There is a lovely old church in the village. So much history in the area, which wasn't always a part of France.

Impressive vistas all the way up to the top, worth the climb. The Mediterranean Sea is the most beautiful blue color I have ever seen.

We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Pinocchio restaurant at the base of the old village. Afterwards, we visited the Fragonard perfume shop. My only regret is not sniffing the sample perfume I received there while I was still in France. The scent is called Marche aux Fleurs, and I love it a lot. Sadly, it is currently not available in the US.

I noticed two hotels in Eze, but I suspect they were very expensive. We did not have a reason to stay overnight in Eze. It is a terrific place to visit, but a day trip was plenty for me.

I highly recommend a trip to Eze if you are staying in Nice, or elsewhere in the Cote d'Azur. But Eze is NOT a good place to travel with young children, the elderly or the infirm. Strollers, canes and wheelchairs would be impossible to use on the sloping, winding, bumpy picturesque streets.

20 Thank TravelingQuilter1953
Chicago, IL
70 helpful votes
“One of my favorite places in the Riviera”
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I just returned from a 10 day action-packed visit to France, and Eze quickly became one of the best parts of our trip! I had heard about it from travel books and videos so I had an idea that I would love it, and I wasn't wrong.

I was traveling with my Mom and we took a train from Juan Les Pins to Eze Bord du Mer. From there we took the number 83 bus up the narrow, winding, hair pin turns up the cliff side - taking all 3 corniches! The bus stopped outside the village entrance where we walked to the helpful tourist information office and picked up a free map. They all spoke English which was helpful since my French was not so great. My Mom wasn't sure what to expect - she kept asking me if we were only there for the view, but she quickly changed her tune.

Eze is so hard to describe. It's a perched village know for it's "art and gourmet" and it was absolutely charming. Completely pedestrianized, you walk up and down narrow cobblestone lanes with a red brick path in the middle. I'd recognize these walkways in an instant if I ever saw a picture. The town is full of restaurants, boutiques, galleries, clothing stores, and souvenir shops - all built into the side of the mountain like caves. Some stores are so small that barely 4 people could stand inside. La Voute was one of my favorites where we bought lovely paintings to remind us of our visit.

One thing not to be missed is the lovely Notre Dame church. After seeing the grand cathedrals of Paris and Normandy, Notre Dame was a lovely change. It was done in the Baroque style with crystal chandeliers, stone altars, and faded paintings on the walls. It's almost shabby chic. The simple exterior would never lead you to believe how lovely it is on the inside.

My only very minor issue was that the best views of the sea and coast line below could really only be seen from the Botanical Gardens for a fee or from certain restaurants where you obviously had to be a paying customer to see the stunning scenery.

Tips: Definitely wear good shoes because you will be walking up and down rather steep streets. It was raining a little the day we were there and the red bricks kept us from slipping over the cliff side. Also - get there as early as you can. We got there at 10:20am and enjoyed the village for a few hours before the hordes of tour groups came in. If you take the bus, the first one leaves Eze Bord Du Mer at 9:55am.

Needless to say, I would return to Eze in a heartbeat and take more time to explore every inch of it. It's well worth the trip and hopefully will stay with you as it has for me.

12 Thank mswain28
Santa Clarita, California
35 helpful votes
“Absolutely Breathtaking”
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We took the train from Nice to the station nearest Eze, where we caught the local bus to travel up into the hillside and Eze. The bus ride was quite a ride :) but so worth the trip.

Eze is set high atop a hill over looking the Mediterranean in what I would call a medieval town, there is no way to reach Eze easily except by walking and it is a steep walk. It was like walking back in time - this has to be one of my favorite locations in all my travels.

2 Thank SCVDeb

Been to Eze? Share your experiences!