New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Eze Hermitage

Hotel Eze Hermitage
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Eze
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Beautiful wedding at the Hermitage!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of getting married here on July 21st. We are from Edinburgh and fell in love with Eze when visiting in 2007. We returned for a number of holidays and then decided to plan our wedding there. Looking at other venues in Eze we were starting to think that it was out of our budget but we decided to visit the hermitage and after a meeting with the events planner, Frederica, we were delighted with what they could offer us. Despite only having 22 guests, they allowed us to have a large section of the garden privately and they also allowed us to hire a band, (the fantastic Brightlights band who we would highly recommend), who played till midnight. We had a humanist ceremony in the garden, a beautiful 3 course meal and then we danced the night away. The staff were fantastic, especially Maxime, Francois and Cely.
Thank you so much!

1 Thank Vikki A
ezehermitage, Assistant de direction at Hotel Eze Hermitage, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Vikkie and John;
First of all thank you for the interest you have shown in our Hôtel.
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on the internet.
All members of team of the Hermitage hotel were delighted to have contributed to the best day of your life.

Thank you for choosing Eze Hermitage Art Hôtel & Restaurant for your wedding and hope to welcome you next time!

With king Regards;
Maxime and all the staff :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
here there everywhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

the hotel is a very pretty, old stone house with a lush garden, a small swimming pool, small but nice rooms, comfy beds and very good food. (many people come from outside to have lunch/dinner).
the staff is friendly and helpful and the place itself is a good place to stay if you want to explore the coastline.
easy to get everywhere, if you have a car (and avoid the rush hours), but if you must rely on buses, then you really need to have time and patience to wait for them, since most only go once an hour.
two things that could be improved upon are:
a coat of paint on the walls (really brings down the quality of the place and it would be such a simple thing to fix).
but most importantly, either change or train the italian manageress to be more customer friendly. she was not very helpful at all, with simple things that would be no effort for her to be helpful with, and she had a spoilt brat of a little girl who seemed to be allowed to do anything. including hitting the guests and screaming at the pool area. was not impressed with that at all.
otherwise really liked it and would return if in the area again.
(i put average on service beacause of the italian woman, otherwise everyone else was great.
and i loved the location, but you really do need a car to be able to fully enjoy the riviera.)

NB! this was my review, to which the manager wrote the following:
"Dear Miss,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor, and having spent a pleasant stay in our Hotel.
I wish you personally answer because The only negative thing was me ... I remark during your stay the antipathy for my person (or maybe my nationality?) when I greeted you and you ignore my hello.
Now you are writing comments wishing injure me directly, but indirectly dear Miss you made me a lot of compliments for all that you have enjoyed and loved in our house is the result of everyday work for years, I thank you and I 'hope welcome you with us again.
Best Regards"

I am stunned at the audacity of her reply! not only does she obviously have no idea who i am (we had a fairly lengthy conversation upon our arrival, so her saying i didn't say hello is obviously not true!) but then to turn the whole thing around and say that i am racist, is just too much! i guess apologizing for wrongdoing is just not her cup of tea. again, just like she did not apologize when her child hit my friend. not that it hurt of course, but it was done in an extremly rude manner! in my opinion, this is not how you treat your guests.
she is right, i do have an antipathy towards people who are unfriendly with guests, and then try to lie to make others look bad!
i am keeping my review of the hotel as it was, because i did like it. however, i will not return to stay there next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank dreadream
ezehermitage, Directeur général at Hotel Eze Hermitage, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Mademoiselle,

I reminder well of you in the room on the second floor, with this profession we learn to acknowledge the various guests…

I read your comment and I'll answer the last time because your obstinacy, your insistence to my person exceed a simple comment about a Hotel wrote on Tripadvisor.

From twenty years I'm lucky to do this beautiful work, I get about a thousand customers a month, I'll let you do the total calculation to get an idea ... I understand that I can neither sympathize or delight everyone and I regret but, fortunately the majority of guests are very happy , as evidenced by the various comments.

I regret that my person has caused you so much trouble, I hope you recover.

Kindly Regards
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel is a very nice 3 Star hotel. Service is very good. Good location to explore French and Italian Rivera. Nice size and very clean room for 3 (For France).
A car is a must. Bus stop right next to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LENNY
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived two hours before check in, and were greeted with champagne and tapenade in the beautiful hotel garden. A short hour later we were told are room was ready, which was a nice surprise since we expected to wait an hour more. The room was small, but very cozy, and with a large balcony facing the mountains, and with the right weather conditions, also the ocean.

The team at the hotel was very friendly and service minded. On the first floor they have a beautiful restaurant, whit a large garden terrace. We did not eat breakfast at the restaurant, since we found it more practical to buy sandwiches from a local bakery in Cap Dai'l on our way to the beach, but we ate dinner there a couple of evenings.

The pool area, like the rest of the hotel is not very big but al the same charming. The hotel has free Wi-Fi, but the connection wasn't the best inside the room, but we had no problems reading our mail etc. In the night, the temperature goes down which gave a perfect sleep quality in the hot summer.

My second stay at this hotel, this time with my girlfriend, was a very good experience and I would not hesitate to re visit.

Room Tip: Room number 10 has a large terrace.
1 Thank EivindL807
Rochdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here for a week in July, flying into Nice and booking a taxi from there to the hotel. Extortionate taxi fare of 85 Euros for a 15 minute drive! The hotel is set beside the road on the Grande Corniche, very high above the coast. It is a typically French hotel, with fairly small rooms and bathrooms, but everything is spotlessly clean and comfortable with nice toiletries, in room safe etc. We had room 4 at the top of the stairs, which had a large balcony looking towards the sea. The garden where we ate our breakfast and dinner was a beautiful, peaceful area with a partially covered section in case of cooler or wet weather. The pool area was fairly small but with comfortable sun loungers and umbrellas. There was also an outside lounge area with squashy chairs and coffee tables which was ideal for a drink, reading or just relaxing. Breakfast was fine with fresh fruit and the usual breads and pastries, yoghurts and even a waffle making machine. We had half board so ate there each evening. There was no choice, but we were very happy with the meals we had and there was a good balance between meat and fish. There is a bus stop right next to the hotel which meant that we could get around very easily at a cost of 1.50E per trip. We visited Nice, Monaco, Eze itself, Beaulieu, Villefranche and St Jean Cap Ferrat. We also walked locally on the Plateau de la Justice and through the National Park to Eze Village. It was always nice to come back to the hotel after a day in the hustle and bustle of the coast. The staff were all friendly and helpful and most of them spoke English. Having said that there were not many English guests when we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony so you have more space.
1 Thank Jenang
Siddington, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night at the end of our trip to the Italian Riviera. The staff were brilliant as we arrived and we were given rooms 1 and 5. Room 1 was on the ground floor and next to the stairs which meant that we could hear other guests. The room was well furnished and decorated, however three people stayed in it and the third bed was on the small side. The bedding was also a bit excessive as it was 30 degrees! The bathroom was a 'wet room' and was very nice apart from the bright yellow curtain, however this did not effect us in any way. The only shame about this room was that there was no view.

In the afternoon of our stay we decided to have a swim in the pool. We were slightly disappointed as it obviously hadn't been cleaned as there was an awful lots of dead insects and leaves. The lounge area was very nice and comfortable to get out of the sun.

We ate in the hotel's restaurant as we had noticed it's Michelin Star rating. The food was amazing and definitely worth the price.

All in all a lovely, charming hotel with friendly staff and would enjoy to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Marlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Charming, friendly,and very special. The food was absolutely great and the staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Views and gardens were lovely.
Room was on the small side, and as mentioned on other reviews, the hotel is quite a hike from Eze so a car is essential. We decided to go the public transport route as we noticed the bus station was next door - however the buses are totally unreliable and kept breaking down so not to be advised. Especially bad over weekends. The walk down to Eze over the mountains - although beautiful was not the gentle jaunt I had envisaged, so not for the faint hearted! Internet only accessible just outside or in the reception area.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms at the front of the hotel are larger and come with a balcony. The rooms at the...
1 Thank Mandy333_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eze
Chateau de la Chevre d'Or
Eza Vista
Eza Vista
#5 of 7 in Eze
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Hotel Royal-Riviera
Hotel Royal-Riviera
#1 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat

Been to Hotel Eze Hermitage? Share your experiences!