“Friendly 'old-world' Hotel in need of a few improvements”

Hotel Little Palace
Ranked #85 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is a very traditional establishment, tall and thin with 5 floors and no lift. Rooms are pretty basic with little space and old fixtures and fittings. My shower cubicle was small, had broken doors and went hot and cold. That said they did try very hard to be friendly, with some English spoken. Rates were very good value, so you do get what you've paid for, just remember this is not going to be perfect! My work colleagues from Toulon love it and stay often. For me though, as a frequent business traveller, it needed work. Notably the breakfast area was too small, with occasional waits for a table (as they had most tables outside - not always an option even in the South of France!) and constant running out of food items. Internet was good, my room was quiet being on the 5th floor and the bed was comfortable. It had views which were great! So all in all, this works as a budget no frills establishment, well positioned in the middle of Toulon. Worth the money, but you'll need patience to cope with a few failings, especially around breakfast service.

Room Tip: ask for a larger room, as they're often on the small side. Remember you will get free exercise w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Little Palace

Reviewed March 19, 2014

If you're planning to travel along the coast this hotel is perfect. It's cheap, comfortable and not even one minute from the station (no worries, there is no disadvantages of it). It's also located close to the beach and to many stores, including groceries. I've made my booking directly and got free WiFi for all my devices. Internet works very fine. The room has everything it needs: a comfortable bed, tv, air-conditiong, dark curtains, and everything works. It's true that rarely there is someone at the reception but there is no problem to contact them at any time. Also what I found very useful there is an elevator inside. The only thing I really really didn't like and I hope the Little Palace will work on is the cleaning service. After I was coming to my room everything was clear - that's true, however also almost of all of my stuff that I left on the top was moved, hidden, or switched. It's the first time in my life I saw the maid to do so many changes in your personal stuff - she was moving my private shampoo, my soap and even my nail cutter and my hygienic pads!! She was also cleaning up my night stand and often I had to look for my book and stuff I left there. At the beginning I found it even a bit funny but then day after day going her going to my stuff started to be annoying. Also once she knocked and didn't wait for any answer, just entered when I was sitting just right after the shower wrapped only in my towel! Actually I'd say the only bad thing about my stay was the overzealous maid..

Room Tip: I had standard single room, as far as I know there is also economy where the view is on a wall. Mine...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Malgorzata Z
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Nicely situated 2 minutes from the train station and 5 minutes from the public beach. It is situated on a road full of restaurants but they won't bother you if the windows are closed (there is fully functional air-con). The room was nice and the staff were pleasant though they were rarely at the front desk. The only downside was the singular plug socket in a twin room, not really ideal when you both have devices to charge each night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lee E
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I was on vacation with two friends. We did not spend much time in the room, so we didn't really have a need for a fancy hotel. We stayed in Nice, but visited many spots along the coast while vacationing. The hotel was the perfect location -- between the train station and the beach. Short walk to restaurants, shops, etc. In case you are vacationing with a larger grou - this was one of the few hotels that allow 5 people in a room . The staff wasn't super helpful - I think this was more because of a language barrier however. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, this is not for you. But if you want an affordable hotel that is clean, convenient, and a good location - this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank lfptravel
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Really close to the train station, always someone on duty to welcome us, room was clean and cozy, great to have a balcony, free wifi, air conditioned, breakfast offered, efficient staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RonaldFonjo
Reviewed August 17, 2009

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! This is the worst hotel I have ever experienced. They are very rude to you and will only let you check in during a small window. They act like theyre doing you a favor by letting you check in. The towels were disgusting and we had to ask them to replace them. Worst of all they yelled at me and made me more uncomfortable than I have ever felt. This is a mom and pop type of operation and they live in the hotel. They will creep up on you and be very invading. Be warned.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
6  Thank hate_little_palace
Reviewed August 28, 2008

I managed to get a last minute booking at Little Palace Hotel for a brief visit to Cannes and only needed a basic room. I got a good rate, far below any other rate I had found after two days of seaching, and was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. Rooms are tiny, for sure, and this was suppose to be a double bed but the room was very clean and had the exact basics that one would require just for a place to sleep. After all, how much time does one really spend in the hotel on short travels? The bathroom was also very small but completely clean. The room had a tiny balcony with view of the street which was a pleasant addition. All in all, it was a pleasant small room, enough for one person. Two people staying here would find it very cramped. This is not a hotel suitable for anyone with demands of service or space, but if all you look for is a clean, good room in a great location in Cannes, this hotel offers it.

The hotel is more of a boutique motel rather than a hotel. Its situated right next to the railway station which explains the cheaper rate (there were many hotels on the same street with competitive rates). But in spite of this the location is really not bad at all. The Little Palace Hotel is only about five blocks from the main promenade (beach) in Cannes!

I guess the only downside about the hotel would be the Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde personality of the asian lady who seems to own the place. She is sweet and friendly one moment but is quick to go on the attack the next. A lot of passive aggression. I saw her do this to several customers although I managed to be free from it. I guess its quite typical asian and I've come across many who has this approach during travels but it was very rude and unecessary.

A minus with the actual room was that the TV does not offer more than about 4-5 channels and the A/C was not cooling down well. Because of the lowered room rate, I was not interested in complaining about these things to the front desk.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo