“Do not eat here!”

Dining options: Reservations
Cavan, Ireland
“Do not eat here!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I have just returned from eating here. At first we thought it was good value to pay €16.80 for a buffet in such an expensive area as Cannes. The restaurant was almost empty, save for one or two friends of the owner (which we should have recognised as a warning sign not to eat there). We could only manage 2 small plates each before we both felt sick. The quality of food was terrible, anything with shrimp in it (ie most of the selection) had the texture of rubber and the taste to match. None of the mains had been freshly prepared and they had clearly been sitting there for a number of hours before we tasted them. The only option that seemed safe to eat was the rice. For the desserts, the jelly was chewy (which I didn't think was even possible for jelly to be) and the cookies were stale and clearly straight from the packet. The salad bar consisted of a few badly washed leaves of lettuce and a small tray of sweet corn.
As it said before, my friend and I only managed two small plates of this food (picking out what we discerned to be in anyway edible) and felt sick almost immediately after the meal. I personally had to run to the bathroom twice as I felt I was going to be sick. Naturally, we alerted the waiting staff to this, and enquired as to whether their food was freshly cooked or not (as my stomach can be sensitive to badly prepared food). We were told that everything was freshly homemade in the restaurant and the seafood that they used is of the best quality in Cannes. Now, this is Cannes we are talking about, one of the most expensive places in the world to eat, and the owner expects me to believe that they get the best quality seafood fresh from the sea? I don't think so.
When we told her that we did not feel the meal was worth the almost €20 that they have the audacity to charge, she made a scene and brought other customers into the dispute.
I'm from Ireland and was on holiday in Cannes, and I was told that this was the reason I felt sick. "Chinese food doesn't suit European stomachs", she said... Well then why open up a Chinese restaurant in Europe? She also assumed that because I was from Ireland that I obviously wasn't used to Chinese food, or any exotic food types and that was why I felt sick. Again, this is inaccurate and untrue. There are many Chinese restaurants in Ireland and I eat Chinese food often, and have never once felt sick afterwards.
When she was informed of all of this, I was told that none of her other "many" customers had felt sick after eating the same food. There were four other customers in the restaurant. Two of them were locals who only ate the rice and a bit of chicken. They clearly had experienced eating there before.
She then told us that she would call the police if we didn't pay the full price. At that point I was feeling so sick that I just wanted to go back to my hotel and go to bed, so we paid and left.
Do not eat here. I have paid €16.80 for what may or may not be food poisoning. There are many other nice restaurants in Cannes where you can get a decent meal for the same price.

• Visited June 2014

Miami, Florida
“French Chinese Cooking ?”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

So I thought that I would try Chinese food in Cannes France during my past week long stay. I chose this restaurant for lunch. There were some interesting surprizes on the lunch buffet bar. The first was a very good fish seasoned with a glase and pineapple, the second was the combination of fish and shrimp with stir fried vegetables. Both of these dishes were tasty, yet subtle and not overpowering.

There was plenty of chicken and shrimp dishes, and I would expect that from almost any buffet, yet the second surprise was steamed dim sum in 3 different flavors. Hardly expected on a buffet

The food was good, not imposing or overly seasoned but the management consistently under cooked the amount needed to keep customers happy. Out of 20 different dishes at least 6 very empty during any one time of the lunch hour. I took my time and waited for the buffet to be refreshed however this did not happen with any regularity.. Upon my next visit to Cannes I will not be returning here for lunch.

• Visited February 2014
Golfe-Juan Vallauris, France
“great food for a decent price”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

great buffet à volonté, big choice of dishes, everyone can find something for himself, very nice service and pretty decorations, one of my favourite restaurants in the region

• Visited December 2013
Cannes, France
“Food not available , Owner treats Foreign guests horribly”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

There was missing food on most of the containers and they were not being replenished . The owner of the restaurent takes advantage of the fact that non french tourists do not understand the menu, she charges more . My son was 10 and mentioned the same to the owner and she said she will charge him Kids prices. My son does not eat seafood and wanted to go to another restuarent but then agreed after continuous persuation by her. When we checked out she said that I have to pay in full. The waiteress who knew about the whole thing agreed to pay from her pocket but she is so horrible that she still did not realize how a customer should be treated.Will never recommend this to any non french speaking tourist.

• Visited July 2013
Brisbane
“Buffet at fantastic price 12.80 e”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Wow, a help yourself Chinese buffet with dessert in this classy city in a great little restaurant. Well populated by the locals, great range of food, free water and even dessert with a selection of ice creams.
Undercover area for smokers, inside for those who dont.
Helpful staff who speak very good English and serve a great range of Chinese food. Changes daily. A little more expensive at night at 16 e but, at that sort of price, who cares. Children under 12 for 9 e.

• Visited December 2012