“Nice style, great location, but very expensive rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles

Eden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bournemouth, UK
“Nice style, great location, but very expensive rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed in the Eden Hotel for 2 nights last week. We decided to treat ourselves to a Deluxe room. The room was certainly big, but the air-conditioning didn't seem to work properly. There is a separate toilet, which is handy, but there is only a tiny wash basin in there (and I mean tiny!) and you are given a flannel to dry your hands with (but there is nowhere to put it!). The bath towels, bathrobe and slippers were great, but the hand towels were too small to use to wrap your hair up. There was no mirror in the bedroom other than one on the inside of the wardrobe, so difficult to put make-up on. No alarm clock. We had a great time in Cannes and the hotel was very centrally based, but I feel it only fair to say that this is a very expensive hotel for the actual room itself. We had hoped to be able to use the roof-top pool, but there are only 6 chairs and no other space to sit. Indoor pool was nice, but way too deep (1.9 metres). I am aware that this sounds very negative (this is the first time I have felt it necessary to highlight the issues), but as we use Tripadvisor all the time, I feel it important to give a realistic review. I should also mention that I made the mistake of leaving my mobile on the bed when we checked out and so I phoned the hotel to ask them to look for it. They did not phone me back, so I walked back to the hotel to look for it. I was greeted rather coldly by reception pointing out that there was no phone in the room. I insisted that it was there and they got another employee to go to the room with me. This person made no conversation with me at all and just repeated that they had checked the room and the phone was not there. Upon entering the room she repeated again that the phone was not there and so I moved the bedclothes and there it was! No apologies were given to me for telling me that it was not there and no further conversation was made by this person. This has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth and I would not recommend the Eden Hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
county durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in May and really enjoyed our stay. To accomodate the two of us with our two 7 year olds and 18 month old baby, the hotel recommended interconnecting rooms. They offered a very good rate (probably due to our last-minute enquiry.) We were made to feel very welcome, clearly this hotel is comfortable with children. The rooms were spacious, clean and had nice decor. The bathrooms were modern and frette towels and gowns were provided along with slippers. There was a lovely rooftop swimming pool as well as the indoor pool and jacuzzi. The hotel's location was fantastic, right in the main shopping area and a very short distance from the beach front. Thanks to good double glazing, there was no noise (and I am super sensitive to this.) The buffet breakfast was fresh and varied and included in the room rate. Drinks from the bar were pricey but I think you pay partly for the environment.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
San Carlos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

I just stayed for 4 nights at Eden Hotel for a business conference first week of November. I thought it was fine.

Pros:
- Pretty nice service for a French hotel
- Comfortable double bed (I was by myself)
- Had room service pretty late
- Wireless internet in the lobby bar (pretty fast speed)
- Robe and slippers for room
- Room size was quite big for French standard (I was in a corner room 523 which I think is bigger than the rooms in the middle of the hallway
- Good breakfast (which was included w/ my room rate)
- Central location (to train station & conference center was about 15 minute walk away)
- Our bartender for the last 2 nights (Berenice) was super nice and incredibly friendly
- CNN and Skynews available
- hotel has an indoor pool & outdoor pool but I didn't get to use it due to work.

Cons:
- Found the whole color scheme kind of depressing. Black covers, black everywhere. Kind of dark all around. It also didn't help that it was raining the entire time I was in Cannes.
- I paid 15 euros for 10 hours of internet but I only used an hour of it. After I paid for it. I tried using it and the speed was way too slow. So I ended up going down to the lobby bar to work most days. You also have to pay for that as well but I used iPass so it was virtually free for me.

In general, I found Cannes pretty expensive for everything. Food, cabs, etc. So I don't really have a good frame of reference but I got the conference rate of 200 euros/night.

In general, I thought it was a fine business hotel but not sure whether it would be a great leisure hotel. If you were vacationing in Cannes, perhaps, you might want to stay by the beach????

• Liked — Business traveler services, friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Poor connectivity to internet in the room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
rm1970
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

Really nice hotel, very clean, room was quiet and the staff were friendly and helpful. Roof jacuzzi and pool were lovely, particularly at the end of the day, but as previous reviews have said, only a very small number of places.

We were allocated a room on teh first floor which did not have a very good view, but were quickly reallocated another one without any problem.

A note about the beaches - the hotel has a deal with one of teh private beaches - the discounted rate is 30 euros per person per day!!!! We used the public beach instead!

Only annoying thing was the lift which, again, as previous reviews have said, was unbelievably slow! But you can always use the stairs!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rm1970
Dorset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

We arrived at this hotel expecting a modern , clean,boutique type hotel and found it dingy ,scruffy and depressing . We had booked 3 nights and checked out after one . The beds , with their black covers and old brown blankets were dated , and the bathrooms badly tiled and the whole place at been refurbished on the cheap . Very small rooms - more student type budget hotel than 4 star .The roof pool was minute and crowded so didn't get a look in .We found a much nicer 3 star across the road called the Canberra-what a difference for a similar price !!! We lost some money on the advance booking but thought it was worth it .

• Liked — the position
  • Disliked — the decor
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KarenSmithdorset
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2008

Stayed in this hotel on a business trip. Everything was fine, even service was good (by French standards). Location was convenient, breakfast was good and in general everything was fine. The property has been recently renovated and in general modern design in rooms suits it. They need to work on soundproofing though. No carpets in rooms and poor soundproofing is a bad combo. Other than that, it was a good value

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank ivanov0704
manchester, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed at the Eden hotel last year, just started using TA so thought id write a review as I had a lovely stay

The room was lovely very modern and clean - nice balcony looking down on to street

just at the end so quiet enough but in a great spot as right near all shops and further walk down to all restaraunts. 2 mins walk to beach front

the shops were amazing bought a lovely bag whilst there

spent an afternoon on the free beach, nice enough, busy!

spent a lovely afternoon walking around the harbour checking out the boats

found a number of lovely restaraunts, had to learn some french as nothing is in english on menus etc

one day we decided to spend a few hours in the indoor pool this was lovely very relaxing and hardly anyone in there!! outside pool very small and busy but lovely and great views!

overall this trip was great nice hotel, great value, friendly manager

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple