“Good staff.. good marshmallows, top location!”

Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso
Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed here for a hen weekend. The location is good, at the end of St Peter's Quay (Quai Saint Pierre). The beds are very comfy but size and ambience do vary considerably so do check your room before you commit if you can. Bathrooms are good too but again, size etc varies and this can be between rooms next to each other on the same floor. Cannot really comment on price as I believe we got ourselves a rather sneaky good deal of under £150/room/night between 2.

The rooftop terrace is a must. Bar and restaurant (pricey but good food/drink) up there with sun lounge during the day. The view is great and staff were very accommodating and not at all arrogant. Unlike the clientele. But this is France after all. The far end of the bar smelt strongly of vomit for the whole 3 days we were there and its the only place we got bitten to shreds by mossies but that aside I recommend the 7th floor - Seaven.

Staff were friendly and helpful, going out of their way to recommend bars and restautrants and arrange things for us - remember we went as a rowdy British group of girls! Would like to commend Rachel in particular - very warm lady.

One thing I'd like to complain about but it is more to do with the Thalasso Spa than the hotel, and I rate it 2 for for terrible because of the rubbish woman working there (rather than terrible as it did look nice) to the young blonde French woman working there on reception - I DID NOT pay good money to come to Cannes and be spoken to like a child. Do us a favour and pull that stick out of your arrogant behind and give your customers service with a smile. And when someone tells you they booked a treatment and you cannot find record of it, do not turn this on the customer telling them that its their incompetence. Do not tell a paying hotel guest that they are not allowed to walk through the spa. Was it the brown face that did it, you dummy? The spa will be receiving several letters of complaint against this dreadful idiot. Have never been treated so rudely in any hotel. Ever.

Room Tip: Try and see the rooms when you check in even if you book from abroad online - the better rooms are s...
1  Thank PixieDoux

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Please read this review fully as it will help you to avoid the pitfalls that even as an experieced traveller that I fell into.

I took my daughter here for a few days this week as treat for some much needed rest and relaxation.

I booked the hotel through Laterooms and booked a twin "deluxe" room at a rate of 330 Euro per night.

We arrived at the hotel at approx 17.30 hrs and checked in at the front desk only to be told rather rudely that we were in a room with a extra large bed as requested. I told them that we had booked a deluxe twin as we are father and daughter and was almost told that I was wrong that was until I showed them the booking confirmation with all of the booking details on it including the room type that I had booked. We were then told that the twin room was not ready, when I enquired as to why not I was told it needs to be checked over and told to go up to the bar on the 7th floor and have a drink - with no other option we did this for 45 minutes until eventually a member of the reception team came and gave us the keys for the room. It was not until then that we were told that the drinks were complimentary so we had both nursed one drink expecting to be in our room much sooner than 45 minutes.

We got to our room (341) a "supposed" deluxe twin what a joke, it was more like a prison cell, I kid you not. the bedroom was roughly 11ft by 9ft with two single beds almost pushed together so effectively like a double bed.

The worst of all was the patio, there was a 3/4 length sliding door which was 3ft off the ground!!!!! it was ridiculous, to get out one had to climb up on the ledge and swing ones legs out only to find no seating on the patio! absolutely ridiculous and dangerous especially when getting in. I can not convey enough the feeling of being closed in when we were both in that room.

Being tired we went to bed after dinner with the resolve to address the above issues with the staff the following morning.

Next morning I asked reception to check that room 341 was a deluxe twin and was told by the rudest member of hotel staff I have ever come across that it was and I was dismissed out of hand by this employee. I asked to see the duty manager who arrived and actually listened to me having obviously been previously briefed by the receptionist.

I told her all of the above and other observations such as no kettle or tea and coffee in the room as advertised, no hair dryer and the list went on.

We were moved to room 440. Another supposed deluxe twin, hmmm and it was exactly the same size as room 341 but the patio door was full sized and no 3ft ledge to climb up but the bathroom was half the size.

However, once on the patio the wooden furniture was so shabby it needed throwing away, it was awful. In the corner of the patio where pidgeons roost there was weeks worth of their droppings (a health hazard). The room decor was shabby with chunks not chips out of the plaster and I could go on but you get the picture.

On checking out this morning I decided to exercise my right to challenge their satisfaction guarantee, if youre not 100% satisfied you dont pay - yeah right! you know what they told me - if you dont pay we will a) call the Police and b) charge the credit card that you checked in with anyway!

What a great guarantee that is - I was absolutely furious!

I will be taking this further with Radisson head office as I am not willing to pay for at least the reasons above and more details besides. And, I have so much photographic evidence!

Please do not use this hotel, it is absolute rubbish, tatty and an absolute rip off!

Room Tip: Do not even think about staying here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
17  Thank Matt G
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend at peak / near peak season. Needed parking, and wanted a clean modern hotel, hassle free. Wasn't budgeting for the Majestic or the Martinez and so this hotel fitted the bill.

Is recently renovated and to a good standard. Bathroom is excellent, and there are some very nice decorative touches in the rooms. Was clean, comfortable, and the dleuxe sea view room had a terrace with a nice sea view.

Staff - no complaints whatsoever, were always helpful.

Valet parking - no complaints again. On the first night the hotel was very busy, I am guessing there was something going on in the restaurant / rooftop lounge. There is limited space in front of the hotel and so I had to leave my car with the valet. They dealt with it, as they should, no issues. Second night there was space and I had the car parked exactly where I wanted it.

Room service - used twice (once for late dinner on Friday night, once for Sunday morning lateish breakfast) - very prompt, and well presented food. Excellent!

Didn't have time to make use of any other facilities, but my experience was good - excellent.

One word of warning - the rooms are certainly not large - ok for single person, probably ok for a couple, but really depends on what you're looking for. I would say, on balance, given the price (and taking into account the non-premium location) it is a fair compromise however.
But you need to be aware of this before you book.

Room Tip: Sea View Room essential!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
cecile_malbos, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear traveler,

We thank you for your interest and positive feedback about our hotel.

We are concerned about the well being of our customers and we are pleased that you had a nice experience in our property.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Went to this hotel as a 'single drink venue' before a night out in cannes. Walk in from the street, through the quite plush foyer and take the lift to the 7th floor. A beautiful setting on the rooftop awaits you, with 360o views. we went for one of our party to propose to another and the setting was perfect with a backdrop of the marina. At £87 for 5 drinks, it was a little on the pricey side, but norm by cannes standards i suppose.
On a down side, the staff were polite but not particularly friendly or welcoming. On a plus side, compared to most other staff we encountered on the cote d'azure at least they were polite. The views are worth the effort and expense, the seating is plush and there is a general relaxing ambience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Checked in for 6nights. Think most people only stay 1 night!! Given room directly under disco on 6th floor. music and dragging of chairs until 3a.m. Complained at 2.a.m. but did not seem to make any difference. Reluctant to move us next morning but eventually down to 3rd floor. A bit better apart from people slamming their doors at all time of night/morning. The view was obstructed by the tall palm tree which was a great shame. Hotel tired and needs some love and attention. We had a number of issues with our room, even the phone did not work! These issues other than the phone, still remain for the next person. Definitely not worth the extortionate rate advertised, make sure you get a deal. The location is excellent, the staff extremely friendly and within walking distance to all you would want to visit. Ask for beach towels which they will give you at no cost. We had been paying for these for 3 days until we heard someone ask for one.......they should tell you this facility is available. Also don't expect to use the pool which take a full page colour photo up in their brochure as it does not exists anymore!! The spa pool is available at 25 euros a half day........

Room Tip: Do not book the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Am grateful that we paid for this hotel through points as its room rates are grossly overpriced and the cost of amenities (breakfast - over €30, minibar - extortionate; make sure you buy your water etc. elsewhere) are ridiculously high. The location is great, the staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel is a very easy walking distance to excellent eating alternatives to eating at the hotel. The view from the 7th floor roof terrace is superb - even if you don't eat/drink there, it is well worth visiting just for the view (just watch out for mosquitos). Our biggest negative comment would be the noise. We were staying on the 6th floor and the noise from the roof terrace/restaurant/kitchen on the 7th floor kept us awake for hours (it sounded like furniture was constantly being dragged across the floor above our heads). Although we spoke to reception about this on both nights, the noise did not abate. Radisson Blu should think seriously about improving the soundproofing between the floors, however, the fact that Radisson management never comment to reviews left on this site, makes us think the Radisson group doesn't really care.
The use of the spa/pool is offsite (although can be easily reached by underground corridors) and costs €25 for a half day (8am-2pm or 2pm-8pm). The pool water is mildly heated which means it's not as refreshing as you might like it to be on an extremely hot day but the facilities are good and spa staff friendly. Use of the beach across the road is free but there is no shelter from the sun so you will need to bring your own sun umbrella but the hotel will provide you with beach towels. The concierge is happy to organise use of a private beach with deckchairs and sun umbrellla (which should cost less than the spa).
Please also note that use of the carpark is €35 per 24 hour period - we ensured that this was the case when we questioned being told that we would have to pay €105 for a 36 hour stay (as we arrived at 18:00hr on the Saturday, and were departing at 05:30 on the Monday). You can park across the road at a public carpark for €25 per day but we did appreciate the valet parking. We paid our invoice (or so we thought) the night before our early departure, so were unhappy that the last parking charge was not included in our final bill, as we were asked to make an additional payment and have another invoice rendered as we were leaving on the Monday morning (this should have been taken into account when checking out on the Sunday night) taking up valuable time.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 6th floor as the noise from the roof terrace/restaurant/kitchen on the 7th floor...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
cecile_malbos, Responsable commercial at Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear traveler,

We thank you for sharing your impressions about your stay at the Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso.

We would like to present you our apologies for the delay in our response. We read all feedback carefully and it is important for us to respond.

We regret that your stay was not up to your needs and have communicated your reviews with our team in order to improve our level of service and reach your expectations.

We hope we will have the pleasure to see you again in our hotel.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We booked a late deal with a standard room, and upon arrival managed to negotiate a great deal upgrading to a Mediterranean Suite with Sea View. Consequently we were delighted with the 75+ sqm accommodation which was furnished to a very high standard with a stunning bedroom, living room and massive bathroom room with large separate shower, and double balcony. It was very tastefully and expensively furnished and designed, and included all the usual amenities you would expect including AC, WiFi, Satellite TV, Safe, Mini Bar, Hairdryer, Kettle, etc, etc were all included and available.

We really could not fault the suite and just a few minor details such as room service not refilling the coffee, sugar, and no milk meant that we had to ask reception on a daily basis for items. Also the light switches seemed incredibly complicated (it could have just been me!) but you have a choice of dimmed setting, partially on, fully on or off. Get up in the night though and just try turning the bathroom lights on and this clever lighting was not so helpful and it was either all or nothing to the annoyance of my nearest and dearest!

Our biggest two issues were firstly no pool is included, which is very unclear on the hotel information. There is one in the adjoining spa but only at a 25 Euro charge per head. Secondly and as pointed out by Jim K in an earlier review, was the noise on the 6th floor from the lively restaurant and bar on the 7th floor. Not an easy fix granted but I would suggest the hotel invest in sound proofing as there is quite alot of noise disturbance until the early hours.

Overall then it was very good and if you can get a deal do go for a suite as they are very impressive. Our advice is too enjoy 7th floor the rooftop restaurant and bar (although quite pricey and noisy with the live DJ!) and make sure breakfast is included as this would be 29 Euro per head! Also avoid the mini bar unless you are a lottery winner!

Room Tip: Go for a suite but negotiate hard!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Matthew P,

We thank you for your reviews on your stay at Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso.

We are really pleased that you have enjoyed your room. We want to satisfy our customer every day and your opinion is a real motivation for us.

We have taken note of your advice and look forward to welcome you again in our hotel.