“Elegant boutique hotel near Cannes seafront with reasonable rates.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Le Cavendish

Hotel Le Cavendish
Ranked #3 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Elegant boutique hotel near Cannes seafront with reasonable rates.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

When arriving at Nice Airport, the bus ride to the hotel takes about 45 minutes. The hotel is on the hillside in Cannes and looks down onto a busy little square. Except for the ground level café, there are very few nice restaurants in the direct facility, so you need to walk at least 5 minutes to the main stretch of town by the water.

I stayed in room 340, which was a beautiful, elegant and spacious grand room with extremely large terrace (which could hold 5 people comfortably), overlooking the small square. The room did not had too much ornamentation, but just enough to remind me of an american federalist rotunda. Pleasant, creative design, such as the bed placed in the center of the room.

Small negative points: no night stand directly next to the bed, no mirror ''up close'' for shaving/tweeling.

Staff is very kind, especially the man who served the simple buffet style breakfast, which consisted of fresh orange juice, eggs, bread and croissants with a mix of jellies. The restaurant/lounge are very small, but it works well for the mellow/private atmosphere they have created. The main staircase and elevator are quite impressive; it made the room feel significant once you reach it. Also, there is a nice private hall shared by three rooms once leaving the staircase.

Le Cavendish is a great hotel with a reasonable price-quality proportion (190€ double), taking into consideration that it is not directly on the coast. Especially recommended for those conducting business trips or for couples wishing to get some privacy. A younger crowd might wish to be more by the water/shopping district.

• Liked — Elegant design and spaciousness of the ''Rotunda'' rooms.
  • Disliked — Somewhat slow check-in upon arrival.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank EddieFP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

I was disappointed to read the previous review of Le Cavendish based, as far as I can see, on poor room service for a meal. Bearing in mind the close proximity of an amazing variety of eating places I am surprised that anyone staying in Cannes in August would choose to have a meal in their room!
Our experience couldn't have been more different - apart from agreeing about the lovely staff.
We arrived to be met by a charming trainee receptionist from Romania who was as helpful as she was smart.
Our "rotunda" room on the top floor was a joy. If I had to find a fault it would be the lack of air con in the bathroom which tended to soak up the glorious sunshine through its large windows, despite keeping the curtains closed.
Everything else was spot on - patio doors to a "wrap round" balcony with a view downtown and (just) a view of the sea; an open bar from 5pm to 11pm with wine, spirits, nibbles and friendly service (our waiter was proud of being the longest serving employee of this boutique hotel and couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant,) - a lovely start and end to the evening.
The breakfast is also a great treat. The hotel prides itself on a wide selection of special teas but also provides homemade preserves and, on one morning, a fantastic homemade creamy bread and butter pud alongside fresh fruit, a range of breads/brioches, cereals and yoghurts.
Comparatively expensive but well worth every Euro!!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Bathroom was too hot
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Francophile28
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

Having moved into a new house that had no internet connection, we left our trip to Cannes in the hands of a travel company. We were told that there are no 5star hotels in Cannes......not sure how true this actually is but we didn't have the means to check or to book one for ourselves. We arrived to be greeted by a lovely receptionist/concierge who checked us in, told us where to go and showed us personally to our room.

The room was clean enough but very basic........small bathroom with shower only, no bath.

After taking a walk down the promenade i couldn't help but feel disappointed that we had been booked in here as i noticed there were, larger hotels (carlton/sofitel) that looked that they may have suites or at least rooms that felt like hotel rooms rather than your grans spare bedroom.

It is of course a matter of personal opinion some people may like the ''oldy worldy'' feel but for around 300 euro a night, i like something that feels more than a 3star, which i think would be a more than generous rating for this hotel as it also had no facilties whatsoever.

The most disappointing thing for me about the whole stay was the room service.........i ordered two meals only to be called back 20 minutes later to tell me there was none of what i had ordered left (there only was around 3 things on the menu) so this left me having to get the soup.

OMG!!!! I waited over an hour for a bowl of COLD TINNED SOUP!!! It was revolting but the staff are so lovely i didn't have the heart to complain so i just left it, even though it was quite an insult that the kitchen thought it acceptable to serve something like that up. You do not need to be a Cordon Bleu chef to brew up some home made veg!!

I am now back online......thank goodness and will never leave booking a hotel in the hands of someone else again. All in all, apart from the lovely staff, a pretty disappointing experience at Le Cavendish !

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loveibiza_8
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

I have stayed in many hotels in Europe, and do not expect much from them. However, Le Cavendish was simply the best I've stayed in Europe. I was booked into this hotel because others close to my conference venue were booked. It was a good thing that I was booked here because my friends in other hotels were not too happy with their hotels.

The reasons why I liked le Cavendish:

- Very friendly and helpful staff
- Very good breakfast
- Very good evening relaxation at the lounge with free flow of drinks and light snacks
- Very clean room
- Very good location, which is within 5 minutes from the beach, old town and shopping area

Highly recommended for anyone going to Cannes.

• Liked — Very Clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2008

I loved it. Cannes itself is a fun town, wonderful restaurants and views and history, though it can be a bit of a crowded, upscale version of Miami Beach from time to time. Cavendish has a wonderful, warm and accommodating staff who spoke English well and made my group's stay comfy and magical. I was in a fab rotunda room and had the time of my life. The wraparound balcony was beyond fabulous and we enjoyed many a glass of champagne out there as we laughed. Had quite a few drinks from the evening bar, and had the best pizza ever at the nearby Mr. Pizza, which I scoffed at until I saw the lines every day and tried it on my last night. Had a little deli next door, and a small supermarket at the end of the block where my group stocked up on cheeses and olives to complement our many bottles of wine. Nearby pharmacy and strong police presence. It was really a great time, made wonderful thanks to the experience at Cavendish. We walked about 10 (maybe 15) mins to the main Le Croisette strip every day and hung out on the beach, also to the great restaurants in Old Town. Fave: the antique elevator that gave me a spooky thrill every day. I felt like I was in an old French movie.

Stayed July 2007
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

I am a regular to the Le Cavendish, staying at the hotel two times per year over the last few years when our international festivals are held and even then always give much praise to the hotel when talking to my peers and colleagues in my industry.

I have always loved the hotel and staying there. The attention to the small details have always made it such a pleasure to be there. They make their own jam ! They put gorgeous chocolate boxes as a welcome treat ! They have a kind of 1940's lift in the centre of he hotel that is old and beautiful and quaint. It only takes 3 people and is made like a cage so you can see in.

This last time I extended my stay by an extra two nights as my husband joined me in Cannes and we were celebrating our first anniversary.

This time seemed extra special not because of our celebration but the staff just seem to always go out of their way and deserve great praise.

As it is a boutique hotel you remember people and names as you go there once or twice but what is remarkable is that although they deal with hundreds or thousands of people each year they always seem to remember the regulars.

The beautiful and wonderful assistant manager Ingrid sent up a gorgeous orchid stem that put the biggest smile on my face. Raof ALWAYS goes out of his way to help me or make sure things are right. Darling Mary is always so kind and considerate.
Siam moved us to one of the rotunda suites for the two extra
nights of our stay which was terrific and really made our stay even better. There are a few more great people their and sorry I am not mentioning everyone.

Anyway, hope you take my recommendation and enjoy your stay in the lovely city of Cannes.

• Liked — everthing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

We visited le Cavendish in July 2007. The hotel was excellent in many ways. We had booked the Rotunda room which is their best type of room. It was very clean, beautifully decorated and with an efficient airconditioning and soundproofing. The only small problem was the noise on the outside huge terrasse from the nearby mainroad. But no problems inside. The staff was very friendly and keen to help and in perfect English. The nightshift receptionist was second to none in quality. The breakfast and the complimentary bar in the afternoon was better than most other, more expensive hotels. Unfortunately our car was vandalized while in valet parking at a public garage nearby. The hotel has no insurance to cover the damages, but the management, Mrs. Welter, offered to cover half the costs of repair as a commercial deal. That is excellent service! We will definitely come back to le Cavendish when in Cannes.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple