“great place, be aware of the lift”
Review of Hotel Le Cavendish

Hotel Le Cavendish
Ranked #2 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Just a really great place; good location, well maintained, nice staff. Not cheap, but not overly expensive for Cannes. Not on the seafront, but quieter than on the seafront. Nothing to add to most previous reviews.

One thing to be aware of, though. The lift is very characterful but it broke during our stay on the Thursday and was due to be repaired the following Monday, after we left. Don't know when it was actually working again. Nothing the management could do about this, and they were sincerely apologetic and offered help with luggage etc. But the fact remains if the lift breaks you will have to take the stairs, and it's an old lift I don't know how often it breaks. Just be aware if you are getting on a bit or have any mobility problems.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be equally good
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cavendish11, Owner at Hotel Le Cavendish, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Dear Sir,

Many thks for your kind message. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay in Cannes in our hotel. I do apologise for the inconvenience due to the elevator breakdown. In fact we had a major electricity boosting in our area which burnt the lift engine. OTIS came on same day ( Thursday) and a new engine has been ordered . It has been installed on Monday and the lift was operationnal end afternoon.
This old elevator is certainly a work of art piece ( OTIS is very proud to say that they have a contract since 1920 on this lift ) but is totally in accordance with the french regulations which are extremeley strict.
I would be very pleased to welcome you back and no doubt you will enjoy the charm of this elevator which is part of the soul of the building.
Christine WELTER

Reviewed June 15, 2011

The location is perfect- walking distance from the train station, beach, la Croisette- pretty much everything you need is close by. The best thing about this hotel is definitely the service. The staff is marvelous- very friendly and helpful with dinner, taxi or beach reservations, and everybody spoke English too. The hotel provides access to a private beach with lounge chairs, and they even give you towels in a nice little bag where you can throw in your sunscreen and flip flops. What prodded me to write this review is their open bar- you can literally help yourself to as much wine, spirits, even hard liquor as you want in the hotel bar. The staff even gave us nice snacks to go with our drinks (saucisson, olives, and nuts). I'm amazed, because I can imagine some college kids ransacking this bar- they're lucky I'm small and don't drink too much, haha! The two negative things I can think of is that we had to remove the drain cover from our bathroom sink in order for the water to drain, and our showerhead spewed water until my boyfriend fixed it. But those things were really minimal, especially since they provided a shower cap- CRUCIAL for me haha- a nail file, and the toileteries smelled really nice. The hotel surpassed my expectations.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam,

Many thks for your kind message and I do appreciate you enjoyed all small attentions we have for our customers.
I apologise for the two " plumbing " problems you had in the bathroom but just wanted to say that our technician would have fixed it if you had asked to our receptionnist.
Hope you will be able to travel back to Cannes and I will personnally be happy to welcome you at Le Cavendish.
Best regards
Christine WELTER

Reviewed June 9, 2011

I booked this hotel for my parents 60th wedding aniversary and they arrived back raving about their stay in May 2011. They told me they received a very warm welcome and excellent hospitality. They were delighted with the lovely room they were shown, and were very happy with the breakfast and bar. They also stressed how the hotel staff were very helpful and lovely to deal with. I am now thinking of booking my own next holiday at this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Le Cavendish while each day we took day trips to St. Tropez, Nice, Monte Carlo, Eze and Monaco. We flew in shortly after the film festival, so, it was so nice to beat the crowd! It doesn't matter at all but in line with where such a popular film festival lives, one of the hotel staff members looks shockingly like actress Keira Knightley! Everyone in the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We adored them! They suggested where we should travel each day and took time to show us on the map. Our room was very spacious, clean, charming and comfortable. Loved it! We will definiteily stay at Hotel Le Cavendish when we return to Cannes!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2011

After touring around France and staying in some supposedly "great" hotels we landed in Cannes at this hotel. The rest of France needs to learn from the staff here. I can't say enough great things about them. Definitely will come back because of this experience.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Mbertulli
Reviewed May 23, 2011

The staff are wonderful. After dragging our bags up from the train station in the heat we were offered a drink. How thoughtful! That was just the start of the great time we had. Room was great, location was perfect and the open bar was something I have never encountered before!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Absolutey wonderful experience. We stayed here on our first night in France on our honeymoon (21st March 2011). The airline had lost our luggage and we had a few unsavoury experiences so it was about 9pm when we finally reached the hotel. I had seen it on tripadvisor and wanted to stay here. It looks a little different from the photos. Not in a really bad way, just alot less spacious and slightly darker interior. We had no booking yet were greeted with genuine warmth by Emmanuelle. We were poured several free drinks to refresh our weary bodies and shown where to go for a late bite to eat. We had a restful night's sleep and when we awoke the next morning, Julie on reception had phoned the airline and retrieved our luggage whilst we slept and breakfasted in bed. Sincere, kind people running this place. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to all our friends and family and you on tripadvisor. Thank you, Hotel Le Cavendish!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple