“Landmark Hotel, Good Staff, but a bit tired, and very overpriced.”

InterContinental Carlton Cannes
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I dreamed about staying at the Carlton for years. It is such an iconic hotel, and I love grand hotels with history, like the Savoy, the L.A. Biltmore, and Raffles in Singapore.

At the Carlton, the staff were very professional, and warmly greeted us. We had breakfast included in the room charge, and it was a huge and magnificent event, with fine champagne. Our room, a sea view, was large, but the bed cover, the rug and curtains and wall paper looked spotty, worn and tired. There is not a spa or sauna, and the fitness room is pretty small. But there is the beach, most of the year.

We stayed at the Carlton to celebrate a very special occasion, and had phoned a ahead to ask the concierge to book a dinner reservation at one of the most scrumptious restaurants in Cannes. On the evening of the dinner, we got all dressed up, and we went down to the concierge to get a taxi to the restaurant, but concierge informed us that the booking had not been made because the restaurant was closed for holidays. But they hadn't told us when we checked in, even though we had arrived at the hotel over a day before. It was truly very disappointing, and we didn't really have time to research an other restaurant. So the concierge suggested a nice bistro close by, which was ok. Not the mega-wow factor, but it's not their fault the restaurant was closed. Still, would have been nice to have known when we checked in, and/or it would have been nice to have been compensated for this disappointment, even with a bottle of wine. But no.

The Carlton Hotel can afford to charge outrageous prices, especially during Festival times. In October, mostly business people were at the hotel when we were there, Porsche. I think we were the only ones on holiday. I'm sure if someone else is paying for it, it's all good. If you can afford it, why not. But, a short stay was sufficient.

Its a gorgeous grand hotel, with a stunning location.
I had a wonderful, short time in Cannes.
Glad for the privilege, but once was enough.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireFromYVR

Reviewed October 12, 2010

This is our tenth year at the Carlton and as usual the staff side of things is excellent. We were greeted with "welcome back" from all departments we came into contact with.
With familiarity comes knowledge and how to get better value for money. We always Emil a manager we have got to know before arrival. If you do not have breakfast included: breakfast flex is always the best value, then try but make sure you signed for it an ala carte breakfast. Or as another contributor suggested Le Compare just 50 meters to the right of the hotel just past Cartier Jewellers
The Building is getting a little tired, possible the American Bank that owns it may be in straighten times but things like curtains that do not fit and let in the light really do need to be seen to.
Would we go for the eleventh year; of course but it would be on a deal.

1  Thank ronchadwick
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Sorry to repeat what stayingawhile has said but they have summed the hotel up perfectly for me. No need to go over again suffice it say amazing for history, location maybe not so great for value but hey. Also thought the staff were first class and made us feel very welcome. Stayed in junior suite, superb room and lovely views - would I go again - most probably not - for the money there has to be better but still glad I've been once.

2  Thank Argie73
Reviewed September 30, 2010

the sunlounger costs as much as lunch.we got an upgrade on the room but the shower was so low i banged my head on it twice.overall the staff were except a blonde on reception who didnt see any urgency when the water went off.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank ManchesterLou_art
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The receptionist at check in was nice. The room was not ready yet at noon, but she promised to call us when it was ready. At 15.00 hrs we went back because we were tired. Hoping that the room was ready, since nobody had called us yet. Luckily the room was just done and we got the keys straight away. She also took our luggage tickets and said she would take care of it.

The room was spectacular (when you ignore the huge stain on the floor and the glass and bottle opener that were missing from the fridge). The partial sea view was great and the room was huge! The housekeeping staff is very friendly. Also the complimentary bottle of water and the fruit with welcome card from the general manager was a very nice gesture. Shame that they took away the glasses and cutlery after one day and did not replace them without us asking for it. And I wonder why they place the bathrobes in the toilet? Surely there must be somewhere else to put them?

Unfortunately it also took over 50 minutes for our luggage to get up. At first I did not want to call down and waited patiently. But after 45 minutes we waited long enough. We were tired and wanted to unpack. When we called down, they did not know which luggage was ours. So they brought up 2 suitcases, but forgot the backpack... The bellboy was very apologetic.

Since I got a very good rate and would usually not choose for a hotel of this class & elegance I felt a little 'underdressed' every now and then. Especially when some of the staff were looking at as wondering if we were guests or not. The first couple of days we were not even greeted at the door. I found that quite rude... After some days they started to recognise us and we occasionally we got a nod and even a 'Bon Soir'.

A middle aged lady in reception was really arrogant! When I asked a question, she was looking at me as if I was some kind of dirt. That was awful! Her smile was fake and -while she promised- nobody ever called me back to answer my question.

One of the guys at the beach was also rude. We were discussing whether it was worth paying Euro 52,- to be on the beach for some hours, while he was clicking his pen impatiently. That (and the ridiculous price; a discount for hotel residents would surely make a guest feel more welcome!) made us decide to go somewhere else.
Luckily his friendly colleague made up a couple of days later, when we decided to go and relax for some hours after 15.00 hrs, because then you pay half price. (Yes, I admit. Choosing Cannes when you are on a tight budget might not be the best choice... ;-))

We had a fantastic holiday, don’t get me wrong. The hotel is great, has a beautiful location and nice facilities. (A pool would be a great addition, though!) The staff just did not meet up my expectations.
I definitely recommend it when you can easily afford it. Make sure you book a sea view room, because that is fantastic! And make sure you look the part, so they will take you for a guest...

(I admit, as I am working in the hotel industry myself, I am very picky ;-) But when people call this one of the best hotels in the world, my expectations are very high).

1  Thank NatasjaBrown
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Beautiful hotel on Canne's croisette - perfect location and the service is great - we were lucky to have a room on the ocean which enabled us to see not only the scenery but luckyyly the fireworks organised by the city of cannes in summer. Will return one day

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Was at the Carlton & as I am pregnant I ordered a virgin Mary. For 15e what arrived was a glass bottle if tomato juice plus an inch of worster sauce in the glass. No celery. No pepper. No tobasco. Hotel was 'dead'. No atmosphere. Beautiful decor etc etc but not impressed if they can't get the most basic cocktail right.
Even the tomato juice was left on table for me to pour into glass if brown sauce with a .....straw. Classy or what!!

• Stayed: September 2010