“Perfection”

InterContinental Carlton Cannes
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I booked the Intercontinental at Cannes on Expedia, we had high expectations and when we arrived we were up to it. The hotel is elegante, fancy and beautiful, we were asked if we wanted an upgrmade for 200 us more and we decides to go with it, after all we ended up payong like 500 us per night but it was worth it, the romo is big and the bathroom is perfection, we'll be looping to estay here nexo time.

• Stayed: October 2010
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Carlton Cannes

Reviewed September 23, 2011

The silly season is over, schools in Europe are back in business and it is time for those whose kids are grown to go on holiday. When so doing, it is normal to seek lower prices, better value and quieter beaches and restaurants.

As long time francophiles we decided to head to the Riviera. I have not been since 1999/2000. I can't remember the dates exactly but it was the summer after the IMF had come to the rescue of Russia and about $3bn had been sluiced through the nation's bank accounts in about 30 days.

Much if it seemed to end up in the pockets of swarthy, cigar smoking types who were spending like it was going out of style in Cannes. Ten or eleven years later nothing much seems to have changed except, in recognition of the new nouveau riche, menus now have Russian as their third language, behind French and Arabic and in front of English...

The Carlton in Cannes is of course an iconic hotel and we had decided to treat ourselves to a four day stay there before heading up to a cottage in the Luberon. We had secured the reservation at a very attractive rate for a standard (classic) room and, mindful of the other reports on Tripadvisor, went prepared to avoid the tank traps of the add-on charges. Boy was that a good decision.

We arrived with bags via a taxi from the railway station (We had flown to Marseilles). €13 for a one mile drive. Bienvenue a Cannes m'sieur, madame....

The Carlton in Cannes is of course a magnificent property - but when we walked through the main entrance the first thing we noticed was the smell of drains. Very odd for such an establishment. We could only think that the management are so used to the smell that they don't notice it anymore. It persisted all through our stay so was not a one-off.

The welcome at reception was courteous, professional and friendly - just what you would hope for - and we were politely and quickly dealt with and shown to our room. Bruno the concierge wore Les Clefs d'Or symbol on his collar and was knowledgeable and very helpful as you would also expect. In fact the staff were, to a man and woman, superb.

The room. Hmmmmmm. As we were not paying top whack we did not expect to have a sea view and a balcony. Just as well really. We were on the east side of the west wing at the rear of the property, which meant we overlooked the interior void. No complaints there, it was after all the least expensive room in the place and someone has to have the inside view. The room itself was small - certainly no more than 15m² and the bed was a double, not a Queen or a King. The gap between the dressing table and the foot of the bed was filled when someone sat in the chair to work on make up or a computer; and there were no electricity sockets at desk top level anywhere in the room to connect hairdryers, curling tongs, phone chargers or power supplies. All sockets were at ankle level and hidden behind heavy furniture.

All of these issues are not meant to be a criticism, but they are a clear indication that the Carlton has a clear and pressing need to move forward with its refurbishment. The whole ambience within the guest room is now years out of date and it shows. Ultimately, this means that the Carlton continues to justify the prices of its rooms and services based on its location and storied history, not its current facilities and amenities.

We looked at the minibar list - €25 for a cognac made me quiver (I bought a bottle of hors d'age armagnac for €34 in a 'cave du vin' and took 3/4 of it home with me). The Lobster afternoon tea was heavily advertised at €65 per person. With two glasses of champagne thrown in you can convince yourself that it reasonable - but hang on a minute. At the date of writing this note (Sept 23, with the US$ strengthening recently) that is still $180 for tea for two and $35 for your nightcap.

I love Intercontinentals - I have stayed in almost all of them in the Middle East and the US over the last twenty years. I do not claim they overcharge; but I do warn prospective customers to tread carefully in Cannes, which is a very expensive town by any standards. If you are someone who can afford to spend $500 - $1000 a day during a visit in addition to the cost of your accommodation - have at it. Enjoy the suite, the views, the staff, the restaurants and have a marvellous time, because you will. If you are on a budget and are splurging a bit with a special treat in store by staying for a few days at the Carlton, just beware and spend more time people watching than dialling room service. And wash your own clothes as the laundry service may cost more than the clothes that are cleaned.

And please, management, hurry up with the refurb.

Room Tip: Obviously, sea view if you can afford it - there is nothing better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CymraegBeirniaid
Reviewed September 20, 2011

ARRIVAL: Having arrived in Cannes after a tiresome trip I had the fastest check I could think of. The room was spectacular and I had gotten an amazing upgrade due to the Ambassador loyalty program, while complimenting the hotel the bellboy was proud to say that of course they were thankful for receiving compliment once such property was for over a century in the hotel business. Impressive indeed.

STAFF: The staff is very kind and helpful, even though the InterCon Carlton doesn’t seem to be such a big hotel, it actually is huge, and the staff make it feel like a second home. Flowers in the room, incredibly kind room service, the concierge is simply perfect and I’m sure the chief of concierge desk, Mr. Stephane, if I recall well, is very proud of his staff at a desk where people like Mr. Bruno and his colleagues recommended me venues of Cannes knowing each detail and service without having to make a single phone call, they simply knew it all, obviously very experienced staff.

HOTEL/LOCATION: what an amazing location, the palace sits in the middle of the Croisette, it is the beachfront avenue of Cannes which may be a destination in itself having plenty of the best restaurants, shops and entertainment venues of the French Riviera within walking distance, it also offers a private beach free for hotel guests with all kinds of Summer sports available and amazing F&B service as well, it is the place to be in Cannes!

OVERALL: I was surely thankful to have had instructions from Brazilian InterCon officer Ms. Agata Appel about joining the InterCon Ambassador loyalty program, I say so because it includes a series of facilities such as late check out, better amenities and many complimentary treats as well as upgrades and I do recommend such membership because I was treated like royalty at the Cannes Carlton InterCon and it made me feel very welcome, this hotel is a destination in itself with its restaurants, cozy breakfasts with wide variety of choices and all kinds of options for fun, from families to business trips to retreats or romance, it is the place to be in Cannes.

Room Tip: all rooms are amazing, try partial sea views too they're great, specially from higher floors, al...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rodolfo3200
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at The Intercontinental Carlton Cannes end of May so it was around their busy time of the Film Festival. We arrived by taxi late around 8.30pm and was thinking this was going to be expensive 1st night. We were there for just 3 nights. Asked the man that booked us in were we getting a room with a view and he said city view. I said i had to have a beach view. So he gave us a beautiful part ocean view and it was a large room so I had a win. The main Restaurant at the hotel was fabulous and we got lots of attention. At the beach we had breakfast and paid for our chairs for the day. Loved the position of this famous hotel where the movie " FRENCH KISS" was filmed. Would recommend to the fussiest of people a front suite.

Room Tip: High floor front room is the only option
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hardiman_11
CarltonCannes, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Carlton Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

First of all, I want to thank you for your comment regarding your stay at the InterContinental Carlton Cannes.

We are glad to note after reading your comment that you have fully enjoyed your stay in our hotel, along with the services and amenities that we offer.

We truly hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the near future to make you live other unique moments.

Yours sincerely,

Public Relations Manager

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Hotel is amazing. The service, the food were incredible (amazing comp breakfast). Everything is super expensive (because we had to convert dollars into euros). 38 euros for parking per day (can take the car out and in as much as you like). The only reason I'm writing this review is to clarify about the rooms. Me and my wife had our stay from 9/12/11 to 9/17/11 and they provided us with a newly remodeled room. It was mint! Had the tiniest flaws (missing screw head cover), but that's only cause I made it my business to find them. I will post pictures soon. High ceilings, euro-king bed, rain style shower head, brand new closets, awesome high thread count sheets, lots of closet space, etc.
I'm pretty sure that not all rooms are remodeled as of yet, but we let them know that we were on our honeymoon and they gave us this room... we were both really pleased even tho it was not a sea view/front room.

PS. have the 65 euro prefix lobster dinner on Friday, it was amazing (only Friday lunch or dinner).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Very good choice when in Cannes and you are looking for top location. The building and the general areas in the hotel are in very good condition. The classic rooms are dated but the renovated rooms are much better (although at higher cost). There are probably 3-4 other hotels in town that have higher standards throughout (as well as more facilities, e.g. pool) but this is a classic property right on the beach. I would def recommend it but you need to go there with the right expectation.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2011

. This is my 3rd time to stay in Cannes Carlton, but first time to write review. Reading the comments I have to say that most of them are truthful - positive and negative once. Hotel is kind of monument in Cannes - building that represent the city on most of the postcards. Impressive outside architecture and lobby area but caused of the fact that is built at beginning of 20th century rooms are not as today's standard of 5* hotels! But not all of them! After my 3 stays I realized there is big difference between "classic" and "superior" rooms, so try to book superior or ask for upgrade if you have possibility. As IC Ambassador, after short discussion, I got upgrade to superior room on 6th floor, almost 40sqm with huge bathroom - comparing with last year stay in classic room that didn't have more than 20 sqm. Overall experience is positive - staff is generally helpful, excellent breakfast on beautiful terrace, wifii internet is free in lobby and bar area... The rates are extremely high especially during the summer season or special events, but when staying in Carlton you don't pay for good room, you pay status and historical story of this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business