“First Class All The Way” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez

Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez
Ranked #16 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
New York City, New York
“First Class All The Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Back in the 1970s, when I lived in the south of France, the Martinez was a tired and overpriced excuse for a top rated hotel. It wasn't anyone's first choice. That's not the case today. A fortune was spent on redecoration, and the rooms are now worthy of the title, first class. What's more, the staff has been trained to four star quality, and are filled with the pride that comes with working in a top rated property. Meet Aurelia, Sofia and Olivier at the front desk and you'll see what I mean. They are terrific! Back in the '70s, the only worthy hotels in Cannes were the Majestic and the Carlton. That's no longer the case. However, this spring, Hyatt is taking control of the Martinez and there's no telling what they'll do. If they "chain-ify" the place, it will be tragic.The Martinez isn't broken so, please Hyatt, don't fix` it. Hopefully, they will be smart enough to leave it the way it is right now. If they do, then today's Martinez must be added to anyone's list of the top 3 hotels in Cannes. / Jeffrey Robinson

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lyon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We hadn't been back to the Martinez Hotel for a couple of years and after reading some of the reviews, I became really doubtful about our choice. There was no reason to worry - our stay couldn't have been better! My husband and I had a first class stay in a first class hotel!

We got upgraded to a luxury room, therefore I can't comment on the superior rooms which we had in the past and which were always perfectly fine for us.

The luxury room was large and spacious, newly renovated and had a very comfortable King Size Bed. Great bathroom with separate toilet (with bidet), shower and bath tub. Generous sizes of high quality amenities (Annick Gouttal).

Very friendly staff everywhere, from the chamber maids to the breakfast staff and especially the concierge Philippe.

We had breakfast included in our rate and it had just about anything your heart could desire, even bagels with cream cheese and salmon!

All in all a wonderful experience.

If we would have come during summer instead of spring, I would have probably deducted one point because our room had no air conditioning. It had only a fan and a heater which is really hard to understand. The only way to cool down our room was by opening the window which led to a small balcony, but the music and the noise from the surrounding bars made it impossible to sleep. The windows are not completely soundproof, but fortunately I always carry earplugs with me! If you come during the warmer season, you might want to demand a room with an air conditioner!

Room Tip: If you come during summer, ask for a room with air conditioning. Our beautiful luxury room only had...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Visited here in March of this year for five days.It was very relaxing and the hotel offered everything I wished for.The rooms were very very comfortable and the staff couldnt do enough for me. The location was great as it is on the edge of where everything is happening.By that I mean you have the best of both worlds whether you like the action or the quiet.So its a thumbs up from me and they have my highest recommendation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited here June 11. Just prompted to write this review as looking 4 summer vacation and don't want it 2 b anything like the experience I had here. Firstly, I was particularly looking forwd to the 'private beach' assuming it was like ones in the Carribean - beautiful, unspoilt, quiet. Well if u call being lined up like budgies on a not specially attractive beach, then this is the place 4 u! But that's only if uv got some cash in ur pocket - 12 - 15 euros at the time. And 2 add insult to injury, for a price, they let anyone come on to thw beach - so much for a 'private beach'! U also have 2 pay 4 the very small pool inundated with some of the most annoying American children u cd ever dread 2 meet. Parents nowhere 2 b seen in alot of cases. Probably upgrading their botox as I've never seen so much anywhere! If u hate smoking, forget it - the outside area is very tiny and people light up in droves. Requested a quite room as was going through chemo - after 2 very loud beach parties, begged 2 move. Manager was very gracious and gave me a beautiful room. However her staff weren't so nice. I remember asking 4 a biscuit with my coffee in the lounge and being told by the waiter who wouldn't even get one star in McDonalds, I couldn't have it!! One night I had 2 speak 2 the concierge - there was a lovely one called Michael and it wasn't him sadly - as I was feeling seriously unwell and needed a doctor ( who was lovely). When I saw the concierge the following day he didn't even ask me how I was - he focussed straight away on a family dripping with jewellery. So herein lies the problem with this hotel - there is little charm 2 b had unless they think your stinking rich and famous. I'm neither but everyone shd b treated with respect - don't expect it here tho!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Minimiranda
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Wonderful hotel along La Croisette beach with very friendly and courteous hotel staff. The standard room was of 5* hotel standards and kept clean with daily housekeeping even though some of the furniture is showing some age. Was also lucky that I did not stayed at the side of the hotel nearer to the train tracks so there's minimal noise from my room which is located on the 2nd floor.

Pity that despite the luxury that the hotel tries to maintain, everything is sky-high priced (eg. Breakfast, room service). But again nearing any trade event and summer season, most hotels will be priced at ridiculous prices (500-1000 euros). The hotel is located near the end of the shopping street (Rue d'Antibes) but can be quite a distance from the cluster of restaurants. If one is visiting the town for a trade event usually located at Palais des Festivals, the hotel is about 10-15min walk.

Other than that, the hotel is great!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the south side to avoid any possible noise from the train tracks.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Zutendaal, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at the Martinez for a short winterbreak and we enjoyed fantastic days at a beautiful hotel. Very friendly, helpful and correct staff; very nice and spacious room. Upon arrival we felt immediately at home. We enjoyed a lovely dinner at 'Le Relais' and enjoyed our evenings at the bar. We hope to return to the Martinez again during our next stay in Cannes.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe-room which was spacious and clean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I staid here last year in August 2012 and had heard lovely things about the hotel. On arrival we were put into a room that had mould and damp on the ceiling in the bedroom. The carpets where old and the bed spead smelt of smoke. The bathroom was dirty and old and I had to wear flip flops in the shower because of this. We asked to be moved and was told that as the hotel was full we would have to relocate several times during our stay and there would also be an additional cost, this ended up costing my partner several thousand. The hotel staff were friendly and I would stay again but only if I was guaranteed a room in the updated part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request updated room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 34stephanie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannes
InterContinental Carlton Cannes
JW Marriott Cannes
JW Marriott Cannes
#13 of 126 in Cannes
Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee

Been to Grand Hyatt Cannes Hotel Martinez? Share your experiences!