“Five Star?!”

Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes
Ranked #7 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Bear with me, this will be a long one. Pay close attention to the restaurant portion at the end.

Showed up at 1:00 PM with a reservation (one of 13 rooms booked in our party) and they did not have several of our rooms available. Granted, check-in is supposed to be 3PM so I don't ever get mad for them not having my room available if it's not check-in time yet. But then 3:00 rolled around. Several of our rooms we're ready yet. 3:30 rolled around, several of our rooms weren't ready yet. Then slowly rooms became available. While dealing with all of the the front desk was rude and short and not accommodating at all. The consensus was basically "There's nothing I can do" (and then walk away).

Okay, finally I get to my room. I'm not bragging but I've stayed in 5-Star hotels all over the world. This, I assure you, is no 5-star hotel. The room is incredibly small, the television is incredibly small, the view is terrible, etc etc.

The bed is made up of two twin beds and if you're by yourself and you move around on it at all they separate so in the morning I woke up in the canyon that was my "king bed". The toilet is in a separate room from the sink so the process is: Use toilet, use two door knobs, wash hands. The television is a 21" LCD that, while lying in bed, is about 8 feet from you. This wasn't such a big deal here because the only English-speaking channels are 25 different news channels so entertainment is out.

The pressure and temperature of the shower is great but I am still at a loss as to why overseas hotels assume that a 24" piece of glass is enough to protect the bathroom from getting flooded while using the shower. I'm 6'5" tall so I can't cower in tiny glass cave provided so I have to aim the shower-head out, which means the bathroom floods. Oh, and the drain didn't work terribly well.

Also, normally a 5-star hotel will at least provide drinking water or at least a kettle free of charge but neither of those exist in this room.

Now on to the restaurant: This is one of the worst restaurant experiences of my life. My company was paying for two dinners and two breakfasts so I can't turn down a free meal so I had to (dis)pleasure of having four meals here.

The "high-speed" internet access they advertise is half-right. It is internet access. And God help you if you lock the screen on your smart phone after using it because every time you wake it up you'll have to log back into your internet access.

French people have a stigma of being rude and unaccommodating. I know this is a stereotype so I will refrain from using the words "you know, French". The waiters at dinner were rude, dissident, and snide. We did not have a choice in the menu as they had some kind of deal with my company where we had to eat one entree and no options. Meaning if you were allergic to shellfish (which they served as our only option) you either didn't eat, or you at it and died. If you could only eat fish, you had to eat the chicken, or you didn't eat. If you're a vegetarian, yeah you don't eat.

They feature a singing duo during dinner which one night was really good, and the other night was really bad so cross your fingers you don't get the 30-something, cane-wielding, ponytail-sporting, singing pimp.

At breakfast the service was fine because it's buffet style so there isn't much interaction. The food, however, is terrible. The omelette was raw in the middle, the eggs are always undercooked no matter how you order them, the sausage is dry, the juices are warm. Basically almost all of it is inedible. The bread, on the other hand, was quite good. Well, you know bread here, it's, well, French. (dammit)

All in all this is one of the most unpleasant experiences at a so-called 5-star hotel I've ever had. The location does not warrant a good review and the fact that you're on prime real estate and you have an ugly blue Lamborghini in the driveway does not allow you to call yourself luxurious.

Find one of the many other beautiful hotels in Cannes or Cap D Antibes. You won't regret it.

One last thing, I didn't pay for my room so I can't comment on the price but what I did see was NOT worth whatever you're thinking of paying.

Room Tip: The best room is probably in a hotel down the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank ILikeFoodAndShower
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, we are really sorry to hear about your disappointment. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not having fulfilled your expectations. We are working very hard to ensure that all of our valued guests are completely satisfied.

It is with specific attention that I read your review and I would like to add that your company had booked a standard room with view on the city. Off course, our hotel has several categories rooms.

Concerning the menu at the restaurant, it was also the choice of your company but our Chef "Bertrand Schmitt" is always attentive to modify a dish if you ask him.

Once again, let us express to you our most sincere regret for not having met your expectations.

Yours sincerely

There are newer reviews for Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes

Reviewed August 14, 2013

First, when I approached reception, they told that I have two rooms booked. For sure, I booked only one through Expedia. It took half an hour for them to fix the situation and issue refund for the second room.

Concierge gave me really hard time when I tried to send DHL package through him. I gave him recepient's address and he promised that he will look online for recepient's phone number (it's large and well know institution) online and will send out package. Next morning I found out that package was still there on reception desk because he was unable to find out phone number online. I got that phone number using browser of my iphone in 10-20 seconds and told concierge to add it to DHL's form. That delivery was urgent, so I was really pissed off at that point.

Upon check out, of course, they put room charge in the bill while it was already paid through Expedia. Took 20 minutes to remove it after I pointed out this.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jetsettermoscow
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Majestic Barrière. We strive to provide exceptional service; therefore your feedback is exceedingly important as it acts as an indicator of how we are performing.

I have reviewed your comments regarding problems of reservation and with the concierge and know that I take this very seriously. Know that this is not at all a reflection of the high standard which we have set for the Majestic Barrière; rest assured that I have taken the proper measures to ensure that there are no similar occurrences in the future.

I am hopeful that you have otherwise enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and to provide you with the service in which we take great pride the next time you are in Cannes.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed in Majestic Barriere for 4 nights during last week and loved the place.

It was very busy since it was french vacation season, but we didn't face any problems.

I agree that charging for the pool or beach use is not good news for guests. Since we only stay a few hours hanging out, we didn't feel it would be a good value to pay 38 euros for beach service and 32 euros for pool service.

I have to say that we travel all around the world and this was the first time I saw those fees.

If you are not willing to pay this amount, there are other beach clubs a few steps ahead, charging almost half of the price.

Another point is that in our bill they charged 45 euros for spa use, which I don't know were for. I wrote the hotel this week with no reply so far.

Despite of that, room was very confortable.

Restaurant is very good...they have the best chicken breast and creme brûlée I've ever had.

Barriere is a great choice in Cannes if you are looking for good service and luxury!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind message on the website Trip advisor. It was a great pleasure and honour to welcome you to the Majestic and I'm glad to know you enjoyed your overall stay.

Bertrand Schmitt and his team are very pleased that the food experience, and more particularly "the chicken" and "the crème brulée", was excellent.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel plans include the “French Riviera”.

With my best regards.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

it is not a 5 star may be in the past but now no. the wall are dirty and the locker of the door are brocken . also the door are brocken. the cover of the lights are brochen. the swimming pool is it too small and there is not space for the sunbed . i did a reservation by trivago and prestigia.com i pre payed the room 290 euro for one night for 8 night. i was written breackfast incleded but they ask 39 x2 for it . also for internet it was written in my reservation free but the ask me 15 euro for each day.
also for the beach that it was written free the ask me 50 euro per person. on the beach if you give money they post you on the firs line . if not you go back.
at the reception are they are ugly and nobody say good morning or other . i give the liding hothel of the world club card and i can get with it a lot of thing but they unswer me that it not valid there. you need to carry your lagguage by your self because the 6or 7 guys that are at the entrance if you dont have a ferrari they do not see you.
the give me a room on the back roofs view just near the motors of the fan coil and the noise was insopportable.
dont go there if want to spend go to the ritz carlont. there is luxury.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank paolocaragliano

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on the website trip advisor regarding your stay at our hotel despite your disappointment.

I have reviewed with specific attention your comments and know that I take this very seriously. Know that this is not at all a reflection of the high standard which we have set for our hotel; rest assured that I have communicated this with the team and that we have taken the proper measures to ensure that there are no similar occurrences in the future.

Just I would like to add that all our rates are clearly indicated on the booking website in order to not disappoint our guests.

Concerning the LC card, off course it is well applicable on our hotel but only if you book directly on the Leading Hotel of the World website.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I had to plan a 2 day trip to Cannes this summer.

I chose the Majestic for it's location.

What I found was a room with amsome view (really amazing corner Juinior Suite), very friendly hotel staff & welcoming bars and restaurants.

Special mention for the bar (both near by the pool and on the beach side).

Room Tip: very good sea view corner suite ....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SigisB
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Client,

It was a real pleasure to welcome you to the Majestic Barriere and we are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us!

We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
Please be ensure that we had shared your kinds words with the bar and restaurant team.

We look forward to welcome you again very soon at The Hotel Majestic Barriere,

Very sincerely,

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The hotel itself is in a perfect location, easily accessible to all the shops and many bars/restaurants. The hotel lobby is very impressive once you walk in, but after that it went downhill.
The service at reception was incredibly slow; the man checking us in didn’t know if he was coming or going, very inefficient. After 30 mins we were shown our room, which I have to say was very disappointing. There was barely room to swing a cat, the decor was dated and there was no sign of any complimentary water – for the price of the room I thought this was very unacceptable.
The breakfast itself was very good – there is a wide range of foods, all at good quality. However, the service was awful. There were many waiters but they all appeared to be running around like headless chickens, it was an absolute shambles. I had to flag over one waiter to order coffee and eggs. After 15 mins there was no sign of the eggs, it was only when I reminded the waiter twice did the eggs arrive. Not acceptable service from a 5* hotel.
I like to go to the gym. However, there is a $15 euro charge to use the hotel gym. Unless you go between 6am – 9am. I wasn’t best pleased that I was having to get up very early just to be able to use the gym for free. Of course everyone else has the same idea so between 6-9am the gym is very busy – you have to wait for equipment, the room was very hot, there were no towels, the water had run out, it really was unacceptable for a 5* hotel.
I also like to go to the beach. Again, there’s a charge for this. It was around $30 per person just to sit on the beach. A very overcrowded beach at that. I was practically sitting on another women’s knee because the sun loungers were so close. I felt like a battery hen on holiday, there was just no space at all.
We tried to sit around the pool but the 10 sun loungers available are hogged very early in the morning so there’s no hope of getting a chair round the pool.
The restaurant served nice food, but again incredibly expensive - $100 for a steak! $9 for a herbal tea!
Overall I felt the hotel was incredibly overpriced. I appreciate it is in one of the best locations in Cannes but I’ve stayed in much better 5* hotels. The service really was awful and I don’t feel like they valued us as customers at all. They absolutely fleeced us at any opportunity and for that reason I most certainly will not be going back. NOT good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JG2002514
Nicolas G, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Client,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments and for visiting us.

Unfortunately, I have taken note that did not enjoy the service.
We feel very sorry as this is not the image we want to give from our property.
Be sure our main concern is to provide our guests with the best service and an unforgettable stay. We listed what went wrong with the staff of the restaurant.

We sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and wait for the pleasure to welcome you once again at the Hotel Majestic.

Yours Sincerely,

The Management

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel and pre paid for a Superior Room with Sea View for four nights
from the 25th July. We were shown first to a small room on the 1st floor with no sea view, when we said we were not accepting it the Russian young girl explained that is all they have but will try and find a better view! We were taken back to reception and were given an identical room on the third floor with a peak of the sea it we leant out of the window! We were told that is what they mean when they describe a sea view room! Our advise DO NOT PAY IN ADVANCE! as they did not care less once they have your money.The first night we were not given bath towels. We had the most expensive Club Sandwich ever €75 two cokes €17! Lunch at Fouquet, 167 euros!The porters were very friendly and garaging our little Twingo cost €44.60. a day. If you want to sit on the pier you have to reserve before you leave home! No this place is a rip off! there are far better places and cheaper. We spent most of the time waiting for the lift thank goodness we were not on the 6th floor we were fit enough to walk up to three! Some birthday!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret M

Dear Client,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay
at our hotel.
At Majestic Barrière Hotel, we strive to provide exceptional service ; therefore your feedback is exceekingly important as it acts as an indicator of how we are performing.

We strive to provide exceptional service to all of our guests and I am deeply sorry that your experience did not reflect this. Rest assured that I have shared your concerns with our management team.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in order to demonstrate the quality of service in which we take great pride in the near future.

With my very best regards,

The Management.