“Excellent stay @ the Majestic”

Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes
Ranked #6 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The drive way to the front of the Majestic Barriere literally blows your mind. The front-desk team is truly fantastic and warm. Makes you feel at home cos it is a real luxury hotel. No regrets about the visit, would definitely visit again. Besides, wife loved every moment of the stay. The food was excellent, the room service very courteous and guess what, they speak excellent English too.
Room was very nice, clean and spacious.
An excellent place to visit. Best part is the beach front right opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach. Very lovely sight, the Lerin Islands......
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Nicolas G, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Client,

Following your stay at our hotel, you were kind enough to comment you experience and we would like to thank you. Your comments are extremely important as they provide a motive for continuous improvement.

My staff and I have taken note of your highly positive comments: they are our best reward and they strongly encourage us to uphold the level of excellence you are entitled to expect… Deserving your trust is essential.

Looking forward to having the pleasure of seeing you again soon at the Hotel Majestic Barriere,

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife joined me in Cannes for a business trip and our travel agent suggested this hotel. We were pleasantly surprised to love it. Even off season, it is a lively place. The food was excellent, the rooms were clean and lovely. The hotel really was the highlight of our trip to Cannes. You could walk everywhere. The concierge desk was especially helpful. We will be back soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Nicolas G, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear client,

It was a real pleasure to welcome you to the Majestic Barrière and we are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us!

We would like to thank you for these wonderful comments and congratulations for our services and the team.

It will be a real pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a seriously swish hotel so bring the best clothes and plenty of bling if you don't want to feel out of place.
All the rooms that we saw were done to a high standard but only those on the front of the hotel have a good view so ask for one, they can only say not available.
Breakfast is one of the best that I have had anywhere my wife took to the free champagne like a duck to water.
Service is absolutley first class the place is kept immaculate.
So what's the down side! well its not cheap but its that old saying you get what you pay for and this hotel is right up there with the best.

Room Tip: Bring the bling
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve W
Nicolas G, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear client,

We look forward to welcome you again very soon,

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very classy hotel, extremely friendly service, perfect location in Cannes right across the Palais. I did book the basic category, the room was spacious, but a little dated, bed was great - I slept well. The breakfast is nice. If you worry too much about prices chose differently. Will come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Nicolas G, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear client,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments; we are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us!

With warm regards from the team,

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

When you get to a hotel and find a bottle of Hermes perfume waiting for you in the bathroom, beware! It is possible that someone is trying to hide something fishy from you... In the case of the Majestic hotel, I arrived with high expectations: I had been officially invited as a guest by one of the main annual public events in Cannes, and I was thrilled to be hosted on the Croisette (yes, the location is great!) in such an revered namesake of French hospitality. Had I known better, however, I would have probably stayed in a nearby “pensione”. My room, a rather small one on the second floor (#264), had an indecent outside view on a hodge-podge of pipes and noisy aircon equipment. The inside was not much better: the phone did not work; the Internet was shaky and slow; the design of the bathroom was indecent (almost impossible to take a shower in the bath tub, with its skewed youth hostel-like configuration); and several pieces of equipment were crumbling down (as I was showering, a large chunk of marble from the side of the bath tub, that seemed to have already been repaired with silicone, fell on the ground). I know that all of this sounds absurd for a luxury 5 star hotel - but this is the truthful description of the state in which I found things. Granted, I probably had a dose of bad luck and ended up not getting the best room in the place – but any hotel that allows a room like #264 to be let out should not be granted more than one or two stars, however grand its name...

Room Tip: Not room #264
6  Thank Italian_in_Boston

Dear Client,

My staff and I have taken note of your comments regarding your lack of satisfaction concerning your room. Please accept our apologies if your room on the second floor offered a limited view.

The hotel was full due to the MIPIM, so we could not move you to an upper floor from which the view would have been more pleasant.

Next time, we will give you a room on an upper floor, recently refurbished.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future at the Hotel Majestic Barriere.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I should start with a disclaimer that I was staying at the hotel during a busy conference week, so possibly didn't see its best side.
But given that I had to pay the conference rates, which are over 4 times their usual rate, I expected at least a basic level of service, which this hotel totally failed to deliver.

First the positives. The hotel looks wonderfully grand from the outside, it is metres from the beach and the reception staff are very helpful and polite. The decor in the rooms (I stayed in 2 as I had to move rooms during my stay) is neutral, although the bathrooms are very dated with tacky 70's-style brown tiles and a terrible design which means the shower leaks and floods the bathroom floor every time it is used.

Now to the bad bits...
Some are just plain tight, like no water next to the bed with the turndown service. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that didn't provide water. So you take a small bottle from the minibar at a cost of €16 - absolutely outrageous.

The building is also poorly maintained. In the 5 nights I was there, at least 1 (out of a total of only 3) elevators was out of action. On the last day, 2 were out of action, meaning every single guest had to queue for ages to get up or down from the rooms (and the hotel is spread over 7 floors).

For convenience, I ate at the main restaurant most days, but the food and service were among the worst I've encountered. On one day, I had to wait 45 minutes after being seated before my order was taken, and then another 45 minutes before my food arrived (again, great value for money at €30 for a starter, €45 for a main). The fish was so overcooked, it disintegrated under my fork and the vegetables were so mushy they were halfway to being soup.

The wine waiter was efficient and kept our glasses topped up, but we had to no food to go with it, so warm wine by the time it arrived. No apology from the staff, just flustered looks of panic in their faces. If the hotel knows about the conference far enough in advance to quadruple their prices, why do they not also plan their staffing so they have enough people to cope with the demand? Very amateur approach, which was apparent all week in all the restaurants and bars.

Room service was a little better, in so far as it arrived promptly, but the €15 charge per person for 'plates and napkins' left a really nasty taste in my mouth, and also brought the bill for 2 sandwiches and 2 cokes to nearly €80.

While the reception staff were very helpful, the rest of the staff I dealt with were rather arrogant. I (unfortunately) had to extend my stay (through necessity and definitely not choice!) by a couple of nights and was told by the hotel this was not possible because they were full.
I then found the rooms I needed on Trivago, but reservations were adamant there was no availability at all, and even if there was, I would have to book a minimum of five nights. Sure enough, by booking through Trivago, I was able to get the rooms for just 2 nights and at a rate far below the one they had already quoted me for the rest of my stay. There was no explanation from reservations as to why they couldn't have done this for me, to save a wasted hour of going backwards and forwards.
That same night, I asked the concierge to book me a table at a restaurant, only to be told they were full until very late. I walked around to the restaurant (Wine and Grill behind the hotel - excellent!) and was given a table straight away. Very frustrating!

I was lucky to be not paying the bill from my own pocket, but I have never left a hotel feeling as fleeced and ripped off as I did after this stay.

All in all, a terrible experience at a hotel which could and should have been so much better. I hope I don't have to come back here.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms at the front have great views, but do have some traffic noise. The rooms to the...
5  Thank Cat_Ar

Dear Client,

You were kind enough to share your experience and we would like to thank you. Your comments are extremely important as they provide a motive for continuous improvement.

My staff and I have taken note of your comments regarding your lack of satisfaction concerning several malfunctioning during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies.

There are five elevators in the hotel. Two of them were new and needed some adjustments, that can explain the time it took to get up or down from the rooms.

Concerning your deception at the restaurant, we feel very sorry. We were full at that time even if it does not excuse in any way the lack of service.
During fairs, everyone come to the restaurant at the same time, which leads to some delay.

Finally, we present you our deepest apologies for the malfunctioning that happened when you wanted to extend your stay.
We have some partners that are buying rooms on a yearly basis that do some special offers from time to time. This explains the difference you could notice.

We sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and wait for the pleasure to welcome you once again at the Hotel Majestic Barriere.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed for a conference and the hotel is well deserving its 5 starts. The staff are extremely friendly, no aloofness and willing to do anything to help.
The rooms are a good size, great quality bed, shower good, choice of pillows and the quality and decor is top level. Turn down service in the evening practically packed my bag for me!
Its better positioned that other 5 starts lie the Carlton being closer to the marina and ore bars/restaurants.
The food was also excellent, especially given it was being prepared for circa 100 people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Emmanuel C, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Majestic Cannes, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear client,

It will be a real pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you,

The Management.