“Used to be my favourite”
Review of Pause Cafe

Pause Cafe
Ranked #293 of 847 Restaurants in Cannes
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2013

What is it? Doesn't the lovely Virginie love me anymore? I don't know. I took my husband on our first night in Cannes (our twice-yearly visit to the MipTV/MipCom events). We both enjoyed our meal (he had the last gambas brochette and I had a melt-in-the-mouth veal Marengo) but felt a bit left out. Not that I'm a sucker for freebies but I've always been treated to a free aperitif at Pause Café and this time, nothing. The two ladies next to us were offered a limoncello but not us. OK, I thought, not to worry, we're not regulars.

The next day, I went for lunch on my own. Virginie offered me (as she'd had before) a magazine to read which was great (it helps avoid that 'staring into the distance look when a woman lunches on her own). But no aperitif (other tables did have it, not just regulars but Mip delegates with their badges around their neck). No limoncello. My salad main course was pretty awful - good dressing but over-cooked lardons, stodgy potatoes with cheese and not really that well presented. My glass of rose was fine. Coffee was fine. But I felt I wasn't a valued customer anymore, just a punter coming in for lunch.

Thankfully, I've now found a new favourite in Cannes, which I will test over the next couple of days.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Waited 45 minutes between course 1 and 2 which eventually came up burnt.
Apologies at first but when it came to paying it was a different story and sarcastic comments from the owner.
Very expensive mistake. Noticed other clients questioning their bills too.
Don't bother as so many restaurants to choose from.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stopped here on our way back to the apartment and are glad we did! The staff are friendly and the food is very good for its price range. We sat outside and noticed that a lot of the other restaurants and bars were filled with adults, but Pause has a mixture of families and singles. The atmosphere in the street the cafe is located in is wonderful. Would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We found Pause earlier in the day as we went to the tea emporium opposite which does a great iced tea in the summer. Pause was packed at lunch time and the food that was being served looked incredible so we went for dinner that night.
The staff are wonderful, very friendly and make you feel welcome. They do an amazing 3 course meal for 19€ we had salad niciose, the biggest plate of mussels in a white wine broth served with bread and fries then a to die for lemon meringue pie.
We are not recommending Pause just for the huge potions, the quality of the food is fantastic, even if you cant finish your plate lol... Value for money for sure, we are sad we didn't find this restaurant sooner as we would eat here everyday if we could :-)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you go to Pause Cafe for lunch, rain or shine, you will see loads of air kissing (and yes, that includes the men) between staff, guests, friends, locals...everyone seems to know everyone here.

I had eaten lunch and dinner here in October and came back today, eager to try it again and see if the welcome was still as good. And it is. It's fine if you're on your own, I was shown a lovely table at the front, where I could watch the world go by and listen to the people around me. The two middle-aged guys behind me seemed to be plotting to buy a huge property near Mandelieu and transform it into either a high class brothel ('somewhere you can take you secretary and no-one will know') or an events centre - maybe the same thing, really - I saw them again twenty minutes later outside another cafe, having another Pastis and no doubt discussing what to do with the potential earnings from this not-to-be-missed bargain.

But I digress... the welcome at Pause Cafe was as warm as ever, the food tasty (langoustines in puff pastry with a very fresh salad), the wine palatable and although the creme brulee was just a little too sweet for my taste, it was a pleasant, unhurried lunch in a place which is full to the brim with locals, buzzing and, unlike many places in Cannes, totally unpretentious. I think I might go back for lunch tomorrow...