“Great stay in Cannes”

Five Seas Hotel Cannes
Ranked #3 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
“Great stay in Cannes”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I booked this hotel thru their website and made a mistake on the arrival day. Even though on the conditions stating that my payment is non refundable, after I explained to the reservation department, the General Manager was kind enough to agree to debit the extra night cost to my credit card. So first start, I am very pleased with their service already.

When we arrived, the check in process was very efficient. We were shown to our room and we could relax right away. The room is well equipped and the bed is very comfy. The free Wifi service in the room is very fast. House keeping and room service are all very good. The suite is very spacious with big living area and great bathroom. Our son stayed with us in the suite and he slept in the living area. We can shut the sliding door to retain privacy. The design of the suite is great!

Our package included a Sunday brunch and that was really a treat. The seafood was all very fresh and delicious. The main dish that we chose was the best pork belly we have ever had in Europe! Daily breakfast is simple but enough to feed you. You can order eggs the way you want.

The pool on the roof was nice but it was too cold for us to try yet. The location of the hotel is very convenient. We can walk to everywhere easily. We took the bus from Nice airport to Cannes which is a lot easier than taking train and the bus stop is close to the hotel. The train station is also about 7 mins walk away. The main shopping street is just one street behind the hotel. We just love the location so much.

We would definitely recommend travelers to stay in Five Hotel & Spa. It is truly a luxury treat to stay in this nice boutique hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 21, 2012

As a business traveller in Cannes, it is refreshing to find a hotel so close to the Palais which is recently refurbished with modern decor. It's the only one I know of in Cannes which ticks both boxes and for this reason it gets 4 star from me.

BUT: there are a few buts. In any other city with more modern hotels to compete, it would not rate so high in my books because there are so many things that made my stay exhausting or quite frankly, annoying.

I would describe my stay like visiting my mother, all the attention is with the best intentions, but actually causes greater inconvenience than it offers comfort. In the end you just want to be left alone.

On arrival I was given a tour of my room by a member of staff which I found completely unnecessary. Given that I am a business traveller, the assumption should be that I know the basics, I know how to use the elevator, key cards are not a new inventions.

But she could have spent time telling me how to use the bath which was so modern in design that it took most of me (and I later learnt, also my colleagues) 10 minutes to figure out how to turn on. The water was not hot, just luke warm which was also disappointing. Instructions for the fancy coffee machine and phone would also have been useful.

Following my tour I immediately had a visit from housekeeping to offer her services and then 2 minutes after I shut the door, there was someone at the door with complimentary champagne that I didn't want or need. This meant that the first 20 minutes of my arrival in the room I could not rest long enough to use the bathroom.

The following morning there was someone knocking at 7.30am offering a massage service which I had not ordered. I felt that I was constantly having to answer the door and if you don't answer quickly enough they would often walk in (if it was evening turn down service for example) which I found intrusive and annoying. I couldn't find a do-not-disturb sign for my door, but I suggest any other guests use it if you want peace and quiet.

Housekeeping and the evening turn-down service had a habit of tidying up all my belongings which caused great frustration. I had spent quite a bit of time preparing my meeting notes on the fold-out desk in several piles for my meetings the following day, but when I returned from dinner, the desk had been closed and my notes all piled together in one heap mixed up with other documents and I couldn’t find anything. I don’t think housekeeping have any business touching our documents, particularly as the desk and the room were not even messy.

On the other hand, they were unable to provide an ironing service on a Sunday, but given that my colleagues and I were all working on Sunday this was a problem. They would not even allow us to borrow an iron for our rooms. One of my colleagues spent his Sunday morning running around Cannes to find a shop that was not only open (as many shops are usually shut) but also that sold irons. He had to BUY HIS OWN IRON in order to be able to have an ironed shirt and then had to rush to his meetings. It is unacceptable that in a 5 star hotel, visitors are put to such inconvenience.

I WOULD stay here again because of the convenience to the Palais which is literally just across the road and I am tired of the old, dark and dingy hotels which I have been housed in previous trips, but there needs to be some improvement made to the service to really deserve a high rating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MissNinja
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have to say there is a difference between travelling on business expensed by your company and travelling on your own. As a business traveller I am very satisfied, but when it comes to this kind of luxury you cannot get by just by being satisfactory, you have to be impeccable and this hotel is not.

The reasons why I think they can do best:
- every day cleaning ladies go in and out your room, careless of what you shout from your shower or your bed (they do knock but they tend to ignore you are in). Of course you can still hang the "do not disturb" sign but I wasn't really expecting to have to do it at 7pm. They caught me naked twice, kinda embarassing.
- same as above happened every single day around 7.30 when they came to ask if I wanted night service. Never even understood what that was, anyway, intrusive. Leave me alone!!!
- I had two keys and I left one in the room to keep my laptop, or ipad wunder charge. Constantly, the cleaning ladies would remove the card from the room, leave my devices without electricity. I complained at the reception twice but nothing happened, finally I wrote a note on the key card itself which said "leave it here", which they did, but removing it slightly from the plug so that electricity in the room was cut!!! How annoying is that???

The rest is brilliant really, wonderful atmosphere, great decor, furniture, even food, although outrageously expensive, is very nice. Breakafast on the roof terrace is a highlight.
Location is ideal, it is literally 5 minutes from the Palais and the highstreet of Cannes.

Room Tip: Pick a top floor room, rooms with view on the church are a bit noisy, if you can avoid them
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gabriele G
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed here during Miptv and really enjoyed my stay.

The staff were very helpful and friendly, the rooms were spacious and very comfortable and the location very good.

Two minor improvements could be made by allowing people to borrow irons as all other hotels do in Cannes - using the ,service repassage' is hugely pricey. The cocktails could also be tastier.

I would definately recommend it to those on business and for pleasure.

• Stayed April 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights in January and it was a nice stay, The location was great, right downtown and super close to the "Palais" if you need to go there for a conference or event. It was also only a short walk to the train station.

The room was modern contemporary, spacious for Europe and very clean. It also had a mini-bar, safe really nice bathroom with double sinks. My only complaint would be with the shower as it was a handheld only rather than a wall-mount (although this can be common from what I've seen in Europe.) The toilet was a "water closet" style in a separate room from the main bathroom which was a good feature. The TV was a nice flatscreen and received a variety of channels with the English ones being news channels. (I stayed in a "Deluxe" room.)

It had a nice lobby and sitting area which is good for business travellers who want to meet with people.

The staff was really friendly.

The rooftop pool looked amazing although it was not pool weather in January.

If I go back to Cannes I would stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2012

again another hotel where it is all about the design and not about being practical and providing a spotless service, we arrived late at night by car and we had to remove the hotel signs to be able to park in front of the hotel, not a valet parking in sight , not really a 5 stars welcome , after a few minutes someone came and took the luggage but the woman was far from being nice and welcoming , she looked annoyed, we were suppose to have a vip treatment so were offered a drink , choice was ....a glass of water !!! What a vip treatment 1!! Then she showed us the room , it was really plush and very well equipped with all sorts of electronic gadgets , we were quite impressed .but it did not last long , all the hotel deco is poorly finished , the shower leaks all over the floor because there is no sealant , the bathroom furniture is nice but useless as you cannot really store your stuff in it , plus it was shabby i had to fix it with a piece of paper , remember we are in a 5 star hotel ... the best came the morning after when due to the works going on just next to the hotel we were woken up at 8am !
we then arrived at the restaurant and were welcomed by a very rude waiter , who did not understand why we were waiting to be placed in the restaurants and seemed to be very upset that he had to show us around and place us at a table . we were not offered any eggs or hot options and had to figure it out by ourselves, positive thing was that the poached eggs were perfect, then going out we asked the woman who welcomed us the evening before, what were the place of interest, and she said there was nothing to see in cannes , nice way to promote the place where you work !! also she did not ask if we had a nice sleep or anything , when she did it just with a guest that came after us , also we walked in front of the parking valet twice and he never acknowledged us , not a hello or anything . When the next day a young valet parking did it.
later at the swimming pool we stayed 4 hours and no waiter came to ask us if we needed a drink, when they saw us going there …, only when the FB manager came to see other customers we could ask him drinks….
we had the new year eve dinner at the restaurant and were quite worried but after i talked to the FB manager we could get the table we wanted, at first good point, but it appeared to be a table just next to the terrace entrance where all the smokers were going, so we spent the evening freezing cold, they could have told us .... the food was ok and sometimes creative but never amazing, i must say that the service was ok for us but some other guest were not that lucky and they had to wait longer, there was a middle age woman waitress that was absolutely useless and was wandering around doing nothing, when the young lady taking care of the wine was frantically trying to serve each table, she was very pro.
Basically the stay was ok , but not a real 5 stars experience and the service was totally inconsistent.
We did not feel welcome at all, maybe because we booked thru a private sale website … if it is that then I would urge the manager to stop this kind of sales or if he goes on train his staff. Because even if it was a special rate we spent more than a thousand euros in 2 days !!! and as a regular customers to 5 stars hotel they could have got us as loyal customer but not this time I am afraid .

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank W144EVER
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed one night in this classy hotel three weeks ago and I loved it. First of all, location is amazing. It's in the center of Cannes, very close to every important point. The view what you get from the terrace is amazing! Rooms are clean and very well decorated. But the most I liked was the food! Amazing! You should definitely try there with that great view. The only thing is service should be better for this product. By the way, the pool on the terrace is great as well.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite on the top floor!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple