“Great hotel, excellent value and great location”

Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion
Ranked #9 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for one night in February for leisure. Overall a great hotel for Cannes and I will certainly recommend.

Location:
By looking at the map I got the impression that the hotel was far away from the beach but in fact it’s almost right on Le Croisette. There is a bus stop for the airport express right outside the hotel if you are travelling to the airport. The main bus station is not far away either and the train station is only 5 minutes walk if you would like to visit Nice or Monte Carlo.

Public Area/Restaurant:
The hotel must have been refurbished lately – the lobby is fresh with some modern arts. Very contemporary and clean. The restaurant is also new and comfortable. Breakfast is great - not a huge selection of food (if you are used to English breakfast, but for continental Europe the selection is great) but good quality. Hot items can also be prepared by request. Good start of the day!

Room:
I stay at a suite on the 8th floor. The biggest selling point of the suite is the terrace and the superb view. It is very spacious and clean, with good touch (such as orchids in room). There is a kettle for making tea and coffee. Very big bed with good quality of linen and it is very comfortable.
If I have to be very picky, the size of the bathroom is slightly smaller than I expected. However there is a shower, a bathtub, a TV and excellent guest amenities so it is more than sufficient.
A strong point of the room: it is very quiet since it’s not direct on the main road.

I would recommend booking a sea view room or a suite to treat yourself in this wonderful and chic city.

Service:
Service in this hotel, especially in the reception, is great. All the members are friendly, helpful and have a “can do” attitude.

Verdict:
A very good hotel. Strongly recommend! You get a feeling that you are actually living in Cannes when you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jtung74

Reviewed January 13, 2011

In general I would say this has been a very nice stay. The location is perfect in order to reach the hart of Cannes and the exhibition centre. The room was very nice, quite, clean and comfortable. I stayed in a double for single use and I enjoyed my king size bed. I had to choose between 6 pillows of different size! If they would have had even different level of "softness" it would have been perfect!
Breakfast in therm of quality and varity of the offer was exactly what I was expecting to have. I would say "without praise or blame". Here comes the first issue. During the service, a couple of "bottles" of cleaning products were on a desk in the center of the breakfast room, right next to the croissant tray, the coffe and the tea. This disappointed me a little. Evidently I didn't have croissant...
On the other hand, what happened at check out disappointed me very much. As I was in the need to move my staff from the room to the underground parking (good but not that cheap) in 2 times, I left one part of the baggage in the room and took the other part into the car. I left the "do not enter" card on the door, in order to avoid the maid to lose time entering my room yet. I took longer than supposed, (anyhow not more than 10 minutes) as they had only on lift working (the other was under maintenance) and I was very surprised when I returned back to my room and found the card "please clean up my room". Somebody of the staff entered my room (with my staff on the bed), not considering at all the "do not enter" card, and decided what to do on my behalf. This is not fair at all and it annoyed me very much. In my opinion it makes no sense at all asking the guests' "instructions", not paying any attention on what they "says".

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Ciopman
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Thanks to the staff for great service..very good locations..price is so high..but it worths..

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank borabay
Reviewed November 11, 2010

This hotel has prices at a premium level, I paid 308 EUR per night for an Executive room. The room was small and really nothing special, and the bathrooms are in need of renovation. The claimed "partly seaview" is maybe technically true, but I almost had to lean out over the balcony railing in order to get a small glimpse of the sea between the buildings concealing it.

The hotel does not deliver what they promise. In the leaflet given at arrival it says "The bar - snack on demand" but when asking for a snack in the bar only drinks were available. When having paid to watch a movie, it turned out that the pay-TV did not work. The staff could not fix it, but charged for it anyway! I had booked a room including breakfast buffet - it turned out that the breakfast buffet was very basic and there was no hot food on it. So in order to get some hot food for breakfast, from the second day onwards I paid 33 EUR for room service breakfast with egg and bacon - after having paid 308 EUR for a room including breakfast.

Like the hot breakfast, many other things are also charged extra. Even the little shampoo bottle and the plastic comb in the bathroom come with a price tag. The minibar does not have some basic things like a chocolate bar - instead I had to pay 8,50 EUR for 55g of cashew nuts.

Finally, during my stay the elevators were under renovation. Out of three elevators one was under replacement - understandable - but the second one could not be called to the upper floors. So in the morning everyone going down had to use one single elevator. Stopping at almost every floor 0-9, and having to wait for it to arrive, it took me between 4 and 8 minutes (!) to get from my 9th floor room to ground level. I understand that a hotel needs to exchange elevators, but to partly disable one when there are only two operational ones is a really bad move.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2010

It has been a while since we stayed, but we had a lovely time at the hotel.

The room and furnishings looked very new (I think there was some recent refit throughout the hotel), and the bathroom was beautiful.

As others have said, the hotel is modern (with a classic Cannes grand lobby), and the staff are friendly and helpful. It is a very short walk to the beach, the train station and a large number of reasonably priced eateries. Service was good. We weren't too impressed with the room cleaning - the clean appeared to be done superfast, with not much attention to the bathroom (a must for us) and not always changing the bed linen.

Oh I wouldn't recommend adding breakfast to your booking. We always like to have breakfast included in our booking, but it added around £30 per night to my booking - the cheapest I could find it anywhere. It certainly wasn't worth the cost, there are cafes and a great supermarket nearby (Monprix - which has fresh cheap bakery products) for a nice relaxed breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trippingLondon
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We spend 6 nights here last September. We got a bargain deal on Booking.com and then they upgraded us for free on check in. The hotel is really modern, the staff are friendly and helpful and the room was stunning. It is located on Rue d'Albion and a 30 second walk to the beach and a two minute walk to the train station providing easy access to Nice, Juan le Pins, Antibes, Monaco etc. We didn't dine in the hotel at all as there are so many excellent restaurants close by, most providing 3-course value menus for around €25 - Caveau 30 is a must!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We had a wonderful stay. The room was comfortable with a contemporary elegant style. The front desk staff were all friendly and accommodating. The hotel was conveniently located close to the beach, restaurants, and shops; and the public train system was within walking distance. We got a great price on the room because of an internet special, so keep your eye out for deals on room prices. One downside was that we had to pay for internet access.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends