“Amazing !!!!!”

Ranked #10 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing !!!!!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at Gray D'Albion for my birthday a about a year ago, and I must say if I should go back, to Cannes, I hope I can get a room here. My room had French Condiments awaiting my arrival. The bed was huge deep and comfy, plush bathrobe was provided (rare these days). I most also note the "reception employees" desk were helpful (usually the French can be a bit alof)...most mornings I had breakfast on my private balcony, except on my birthday. After I got back to London, I recieved a note from the Hotel, thanking me for my patronage!!! Wow..that's service..

Room Tip: My room faced the garden, might have been more interesting facing the Rue...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cocoplum19
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear cocoplum 19,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Gray d’Albion Hotel, and tell you that I do really appreciate it.
Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give, it is certain that your letter pushes my team and myself to continue our efforts, as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s work contribute to make our stay pleasant.
Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at the Gray d’Albion Hotel,
I remain,

François PORTIGLIA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Great location, a few blocks back from the water, however easy access to the shops and restaurants. Hotel is an older property, some maintenance issues, however clean. Staff generally friendly and helpful, though not overly proactive in greeting Guests.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear BeijingEye,

This message to inform you that I carefully read your comment you wrote on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Gray d’Albion Hotel.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I am happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion has fulfilled your expectations.

Yours faithfully.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed at the Gray d'Albion on a short break in Cannes and I am surprised at just how varied the reviewers' perceptions are. The staff are wonderfully helpful, the rooms are very comfortable and the ambiance is pleasant. I doubt that many people visit Cannes to admire the view from their hotel room's window, so it was quite immaterial that our window overlooked the central garden. The balcony was a very peaceful place to sit and admire the urban wildlife. There is a wide variety of choice of restaurants within easy walking distance and the airport bus stop is just a few paces down the road.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael P
Dear Michael P,

Thank you so kindly for your recent posting on TripAdvisor.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I am happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion has been up to your expectations.

I want you to know that we consider your comments very seriously and use them to take the necessary steps to improve and reach the irreproachable level of service that you are expected.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Hotel is beautiful looking,good design,nice rooms,good service

Negative : No internet.You can get connected to modem,but it will drop you off every 2 minutes.And internet is so slow that it almost does not exist.We have asked staff at reception at lunch time to give us another room with internet.Concierge has replied internet is the same all over hotel. He also said he will call technicians.We came back to hotel around midnight and internet was not fixed.On arrival we have drive into indoor parking right beside hotel entrance.It has turned out parking does not belong to the hotel and we have to pay 26 Euros for parking.Hotel has no parking spaces at all. On checking in concierge ask not only my ID,

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Max R
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Max B,

I have paid special attention to your message regarding your dissatisfaction following your recent stay at the Hotel Gray d'Albion.

First of all, I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to the hotel's decoration, rooms and quality of service.

We constantly strive to provide exceptional service in keeping with the image of all Lucien BARRIERE establishments; nevertheless I am sorry that our services did not quite meet your expectations this time.

I have personally addressed the issues you raised with the relevant managers informing them of your comments.

Please also allow me to explain the parking charges that were invoiced. The amount of 26 Euro is the same amount invoiced to us by the company who manages the car park. Our establishment does not have its own car park or parking spaces. The car park is managed by the company INTERPARKING who unfortunately does not provide a discount for our clients.
With regards to the Wi-Fi Internet connection provided free of charge to our guests, we did in fact experience problems with our supplier who was unfortunately only able to re-establish the connection the next day. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I sincerely hope that you continue to place your trust in us and we look forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Gray d’Albion next time you are in Cannes.

MK/UK
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have just returned from six nights at the Gray d'Albion and cannot fault it. My room was immaculately clean with sparkling white linen bedding and the bed was outrageously comfortable. In fact, I think I slept better there than I do at home! The bathroom was spotless with unlimited hot water and lots of fluffy white towels.I had a little balcony which was lovely to sit out on and watch the world go by under my feet. No sea view but then I didn't expect one. It was only a couple of minutes walk to the beach anyway. Some reviewers have complained about the staff's lack of English (well, they were in France!) but all the members of staff I spoke with had excellent English - and were polite enough to let me try my French and not laugh at my attempts! I had several interesting 'franglais' conversations! Travelling on my own I felt perfectly safe and secure in this hotel - helped by the security which meant outsiders could not access the lifts and gain admittance to the bedroom floors. I cannot understand why anyone should object to this - it only takes a second to swipe a room card! Everyone was unfailingly polite and helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the service there prompt and courteous. The bar prices were a bit steep but their Margaritas were better than those at The Carlton and came with lots of complementary nibbles! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Gray and would unhesitatingly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Vickyvoyager
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Vickyvoyager,

Thank you very much for your nice review that I will share with my team.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, its location and the service provided (bar and buffet breakfast) and our security requirement with this restricted access to the rooms' floors for a better privacy and security of our guests.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

With best regards

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Well, first of all, it is listed as an ocean view hotel, when in fact it is a block away from the coast and perpendicular to the coast, so only 4-6 rooms with a little view that are only available at a much higher room rate.We traveled from Monaco to Cannes the day before we were scheduled to arrive in Cannes, so when we discovered that we would not have a view, I tried to cancel the reservation and the lady reservation manager would not let us cancel. And to add insult to injury, I requested some additional bedding for the sofa ,because I occasionally snore ,and need to sleep a little distance from my girlfriend, and he lady at the front desk told me that if I used the sofa to sleep on they would charge me more for the room. This did make me angry and I went back to the room and returned in 30 minutes and explained what had happened to a gentleman at the desk and he apologized and was shocked that she said that and did not charge me more. Also, the maid was rude, elevator security was difficult to understand, expensive and if you wanted to use the gym ,you had to go to another hotel and pay to use the equipment. Also , I had a junior suite, and I am sorry but they assigned me a room on the second floor, that had a view of a building that needed paint. I wish that when we asked to cancel, because of no view , they could and hold have released us, because we could have stayed at the Radisson Blu in a suite with two balconies overlooking the Cannes yacht harbor at about half the price!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 911Gray65
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear 911Gray65, Dear Mr E,

I have paid special attention to your comment posted on the TripAdvisor website with regards to my hotel.

We constantly strive to provide exceptional service in keeping with the image of all Lucien BARRIERE establishments and I deeply regret that you have given a mistaken image of our hotel, particularly because your comments are not a fair reflection of the quality of the services we provide.

With regards to the different comments you have made, and after having carried out the necessary research, please allow me to clarify certain points:

- Regarding your room without a view, I have to contradict as your travel agent informed you of the absence of a sea view prior to your stay. In addition, the request for an upgrade made by your travel agent could not be granted due to the occupancy of certain suites and the important difference in price between the two suite categories. Furthermore, you will not find any sales documents claiming junior suites with sea views. In fact, as you have highlighted, our hotel is built perpendicular to the sea and only 4 exclusive suites have a view of the Mediterranean.

- In addition, you made your reservation in our hotel via the "Expedia.com" website, a website which operates a pre-payment system, and you therefore paid for your stay with this company and not directly with our hotel. Upon arrival, you informed us of your dissatisfaction with regards to your room, which did not meet your expectations, and you expressed your desire to leave the hotel. Our staff informed you that, due to the pre-payment of your stay directly with Expedia and the fact that the contracted cancellation period had expired, we could neither cancel your reservation nor refund it as we were not in possession of the funds given that Expedia only pays us after the client's stay.

- Finally, with regards to the comments left in the different log books of the services you encountered, it would seem that impoliteness is not only a prerogative of my staff or of the French people in general, as you recount of your stay in France.

Our hotel is normally recognised for its exceptional service, as our rating on the TripAdvisor website shows, and it is my duty to provide this detailed response given that the reputation of my hotel could be damaged by such an inappropriate comment.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This hotel more than met our expectations in every way, I highly recommend it. The staff in the restaurant were particularly helpful and friendly.It was exactly as described. You don't get crisps in the bar, they give you gummibears, they are addictive!

Room Tip: ours was on a sidestreet, and very very quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Alastair M,

Thank you so kindly for your recent posting on TripAdvisor.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I am happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion and especially in the restaurant, has been up to your expectations.