“Gray Days”

Ranked #10 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
MK/UK
“Gray Days”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have just returned from six nights at the Gray d'Albion and cannot fault it. My room was immaculately clean with sparkling white linen bedding and the bed was outrageously comfortable. In fact, I think I slept better there than I do at home! The bathroom was spotless with unlimited hot water and lots of fluffy white towels.I had a little balcony which was lovely to sit out on and watch the world go by under my feet. No sea view but then I didn't expect one. It was only a couple of minutes walk to the beach anyway. Some reviewers have complained about the staff's lack of English (well, they were in France!) but all the members of staff I spoke with had excellent English - and were polite enough to let me try my French and not laugh at my attempts! I had several interesting 'franglais' conversations! Travelling on my own I felt perfectly safe and secure in this hotel - helped by the security which meant outsiders could not access the lifts and gain admittance to the bedroom floors. I cannot understand why anyone should object to this - it only takes a second to swipe a room card! Everyone was unfailingly polite and helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the service there prompt and courteous. The bar prices were a bit steep but their Margaritas were better than those at The Carlton and came with lots of complementary nibbles! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Gray and would unhesitatingly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Vickyvoyager
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Vickyvoyager,

Thank you very much for your nice review that I will share with my team.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, its location and the service provided (bar and buffet breakfast) and our security requirement with this restricted access to the rooms' floors for a better privacy and security of our guests.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

With best regards

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Well, first of all, it is listed as an ocean view hotel, when in fact it is a block away from the coast and perpendicular to the coast, so only 4-6 rooms with a little view that are only available at a much higher room rate.We traveled from Monaco to Cannes the day before we were scheduled to arrive in Cannes, so when we discovered that we would not have a view, I tried to cancel the reservation and the lady reservation manager would not let us cancel. And to add insult to injury, I requested some additional bedding for the sofa ,because I occasionally snore ,and need to sleep a little distance from my girlfriend, and he lady at the front desk told me that if I used the sofa to sleep on they would charge me more for the room. This did make me angry and I went back to the room and returned in 30 minutes and explained what had happened to a gentleman at the desk and he apologized and was shocked that she said that and did not charge me more. Also, the maid was rude, elevator security was difficult to understand, expensive and if you wanted to use the gym ,you had to go to another hotel and pay to use the equipment. Also , I had a junior suite, and I am sorry but they assigned me a room on the second floor, that had a view of a building that needed paint. I wish that when we asked to cancel, because of no view , they could and hold have released us, because we could have stayed at the Radisson Blu in a suite with two balconies overlooking the Cannes yacht harbor at about half the price!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 911Gray65
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear 911Gray65, Dear Mr E,

I have paid special attention to your comment posted on the TripAdvisor website with regards to my hotel.

We constantly strive to provide exceptional service in keeping with the image of all Lucien BARRIERE establishments and I deeply regret that you have given a mistaken image of our hotel, particularly because your comments are not a fair reflection of the quality of the services we provide.

With regards to the different comments you have made, and after having carried out the necessary research, please allow me to clarify certain points:

- Regarding your room without a view, I have to contradict as your travel agent informed you of the absence of a sea view prior to your stay. In addition, the request for an upgrade made by your travel agent could not be granted due to the occupancy of certain suites and the important difference in price between the two suite categories. Furthermore, you will not find any sales documents claiming junior suites with sea views. In fact, as you have highlighted, our hotel is built perpendicular to the sea and only 4 exclusive suites have a view of the Mediterranean.

- In addition, you made your reservation in our hotel via the "Expedia.com" website, a website which operates a pre-payment system, and you therefore paid for your stay with this company and not directly with our hotel. Upon arrival, you informed us of your dissatisfaction with regards to your room, which did not meet your expectations, and you expressed your desire to leave the hotel. Our staff informed you that, due to the pre-payment of your stay directly with Expedia and the fact that the contracted cancellation period had expired, we could neither cancel your reservation nor refund it as we were not in possession of the funds given that Expedia only pays us after the client's stay.

- Finally, with regards to the comments left in the different log books of the services you encountered, it would seem that impoliteness is not only a prerogative of my staff or of the French people in general, as you recount of your stay in France.

Our hotel is normally recognised for its exceptional service, as our rating on the TripAdvisor website shows, and it is my duty to provide this detailed response given that the reputation of my hotel could be damaged by such an inappropriate comment.

With my best regards.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This hotel more than met our expectations in every way, I highly recommend it. The staff in the restaurant were particularly helpful and friendly.It was exactly as described. You don't get crisps in the bar, they give you gummibears, they are addictive!

Room Tip: ours was on a sidestreet, and very very quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Alastair M,

Thank you so kindly for your recent posting on TripAdvisor.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I am happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion and especially in the restaurant, has been up to your expectations.

I want you to know that we consider your comments very seriously and use them to take the necessary steps to improve and reach the irreproachable level of service that you are expected.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again,

With my best regards.

London
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stylish hotel; great breakfast, and comfortable rooms. Staff very friendly and helpful and centrally located for La Croisette and a short walk to the Old Town. Very trendy bar, but prices are high. Tedious security requirements for lifts and toilets! car parking pricey as well.

Room Tip: Higher the better to avoid street noise. Wall are thin.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear SmallWallah,

Thank you very much for your review that I will share with my team.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, its location and the service provided.

Regarding your comment about the security requirement (principally with a restricted access to the rooms' floors), they could be effectively tedious but these equipements have been fit to preserve the privacy and security of our guests.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

With my best regards,

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is a luxury one. If booked well in advance, you can get great deals. Otherwise you should expect to part with 500 euros each day.
The room was excellent, with a balcony. The bed extremely comfortable. Breakfast was a bit pricey, but very good and taken on a very pleasant terrace. The coffee was good too. The bar was ok, a bit staid though. The position is excellent, although not on sea front. No swimming pool may be a minus point, although the hotel has it's own beach, which they shamefully charge you for.
Service was excellent. I did not try the restaurant though.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony room (don't expect a view though)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear sprig63,

It is a pleasure to know that you had a wonderful time in our hotel.

At the Gray d'Albion Hotel, we take all the opportunities to make a client happier; that is why we answer to requests in the best way possible as you experienced.

Rest assured that I have shared your kind words with our team ; I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to provide all of our guests with the quality of service in which we take great pride.

We are looking forward to welcome you at the hotel,

With best regards.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a real nice hotel but since it's a five star place I would have preferred if they could spoke some more english. Never the less, its classy and nice - accept for the horrible rose-chairs in the lobby ;)

It's clean with a high level of service from arrival to departure. And the breakfast is very nice with the absolutely best coffee I've ever tasted.

I can see my self stay there again for sure if I wont look for something smaller and more personal perhaps...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Heliaw,

This message to inform you that I carefully read your yesterday's comment you wrote on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Gray d’Albion Hotel last March.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I am happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion has been up to your expectations.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again,

Yours faithfully.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Near the Boulevard de la Croisette the hotel has good rooms and offers a very good breakfast. Parking the car is very expensive and despte I booked the room months before when I arrived at 2.30 pm I had to wait for 30 mins. Probably you can't expect nothing different in the very expensive Cannes

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Matteo T,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction after your stay at the Gray d'albion Hotel on TripAdvisor website, and tell you that I do appreciate it.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service and the best value for money worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give, I regret that these were not up to your expectations. Nevertheless, a comparative benchmark on the web will show you that our rates are competive comparatively to others hotels of the same category in Cannes, this assertion being increased during low and mid season.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Gray d’Albion,

I remain,