“Great hotel in Cannes”

Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion
Ranked #9 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in December 2012 during a conference in Cannes. Excellent service, the room was perfect with a balcony and views of Cannes. Bath amenities are good. It is very close to the Croisette and sea.Parking is available as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear TheSwedichTraveller,

This message to inform you that I carefully read your last Friday comment you wrote on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Gray d’Albion Hotel last month.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I’m happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion has been up to your expectations.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again

There are newer reviews for Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed here on many occasions and the hotel always comes up to our expectations. Everything is of the highest quality, not down to a price but fair value, whether it be the amenities in the bedroom and bathroom or the sumptious breakfast with probably the best scrambled eggs of any hotel in the world. The housekeeping and service are exemplary and all the staff go about their jobs quietly and politely in keeping with the very high standards of the Barriere Group which we appreciate in a world of declining excellence. The hotel is so well situated both for shopping and transport, with a bus stop outside for local buses and the airport coach. The train station is also within easy walking distance as are many restaurants including the hotel's own beach restaurant across the promenade. We shall return!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Robinwirral,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction on the TripAdvisor website.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image my team and myself wish to give of our hotel, it is certain that your letter pushes us to continue our work as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s efforts contribute to make our guests’stay pleasant.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at the Gray d’Albion,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Reception
Got our booking wrong. We booked a superior room but on arrival were told we booked classic but would be upgraded to superior.

Room
Interior and decor is same for all rooms - classic, superior and deluxe. Classic on floors 1 and 2, superior on 3 to 5, and deluxe on higher floors with the best views. We did not like the garden view as the rooms are overlooked by private apartments and no afternoon sun. Garden is almost non-existent and what there is does not belong to the hotel. We stayed in a room with city view and enjoyed the late afternoon sun on our balcony.  Note that none of the rooms has sea view. Room not luxurious for 4*. Decor simple & very tired. Lacked simple things like shampoo & conditioner. Unbelievable that 4* hotel provided paper cups and one sachet each of instant coffee, tea and powdered milk per person per day, .
 Avoid room service, food is awful, especially sandwiches, and very expensive.

Breakfast.
Ok. Get there early for best choice. Outdoor space is good but liable to attacks by pigeons. Over zealous use of chemical spays by staff cleaning tables.

Beach.
Hotel is well positioned for the beach -5 minutes walk. Hotel's private beach is about 10-15 mins walk. No concession for hotel guests. Food & drinks on beach are very expensive.

Restaurants
Many in the area but average - tourist orientated.

Transport to airport
Good bus service from airport to Cannes and close to hotel. Catch the bus to the airport from bus station adjacent to the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor and city view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Handl_SouthCoast,

Thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction after your stay seven months ago at the Gray d'albion Hotel.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service and the best value for money worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give, I sincerely regret that we were not able to reach your expectations, and I'm especially sorry because these incidents don't reflect the service and quality of the Gray d'Albion Hotel we aim at offering to our guest, as our ranking on TripAdvisor may attest.

Hoping we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel in the near future,

I remain

Yours faithfully

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I won´t add to all the other nice reviews here, the hotel is nice enough and well situated which serves as an excuse to charge cardiac arrest inducing prices for the minibar: $8 (euros 6) for a chocolate bar or a small bag of peanuts is daylight robbery, even on the Côte d´Azur.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kiteaddict3d
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear Kiteaddict3d,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction after your stay at the Gray d'albion Hotel on TripAdvisor website, and tell you that I do appreciate it.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service and the best value for money worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give, I sincerely regret that the value of our minibar prices was not up to your expectations, despite that you were please with the other services provided. Nevertheless, a comparative benchmark of 4 stars hotesl in Cannes will show you that our minibar prices are comparatively the same to others hotels. It also seems that on the four hotels comments you posted, you had an "overprice" appreciation for three of them.

Nevertheless, I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again.

I remain,

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just returned and overall impressive. Good 4 star hotel no more no less.
Free wifi and a good concierge with friendly staff.
Very nice breakfast buffet and a hostess that remembered by name on 2nd day.
The location is great located one block back from the Croisette and on Re d' Antibes with a multitude of shops and restaurants.
Even has a Car Park underneath which is very cheap.
Rooms are clean, functional and well appointed but a bit "standard" no real local influences.
Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear JemScott,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Gray d’Albion Hotel, and tell you that I do really appreciate it.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give, it is certain that your letter pushes my team and myself to continue our efforts, as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s work contribute to make our stay pleasant.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Gray d’Albion Hotel,

I remain,

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Centrally located but not as charming as some of the hotels you get to stay in France, does not have the French touch. Rooms are clean but small and very standard. Breakfast was very average. You could hear the outside sound of the traffic even though I was on the 6th Floor.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor.
1  Thank GuluJ

Dear GuluJ,

This message to inform you that I carefully read your yesterday's comment you wrote on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Gray d’Albion Hotel this month.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I’m happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion has been up to your expectations, despitre lacks of equipment and soundproofing of our room. This point is usually not mentionned in guest comments but I want you to know that we consider your comments very seriously and use them to take the necessary steps to improve and reach the irreproachable level of service that you are expected.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again

Reviewed November 25, 2012

A seemingly very pleasant hotel in a good location, with good facilities. We received a warm welcome form the receptionist on arrival, and the restaurant staff at breakfast were welcoming each morning too. All very smart accommodation, and very clean. We did not sample the restaurant for lunch or dinner, nor the bar, so can't comment on those aspects. On our last day the hotel was happy to store our luggage during the day, as we had a late evening flight back to the UK from Nice Airport. They even offered us a room to change in before our journey home if we wished. However, on returning to the hotel late afternoon to collect our bags, things went rapidly downhill. I showed the concierge the ticket the porter had given me for our bags in the morning, and asked if we could use the toilet first. He looked down his nose at us, and, very sniffily, asked if we were guests of the hotel (in spite of having just shown him a ticket for our bags). He treated us as if we were common people who had had the nerve to come into his smart hotel and ask to use his toilets. When I pointed out the situation he rather ungraciously said we could use the toilets on the first floor (you need a swipe card room key to use the ones behind the ground floor bar) You also need a swipe card to be able to use the lifts, so he was expecting us to use the stairs, in spite of my wife having a disability and using a walking stick (which was plain to see) to aid her mobility. When I pointed this out to the concierge, the porter who was also there, offered my wife his staff pass key which allowed us to use the ground floor facilities. Not a pleasant experience with the concierge at all. I spoke to the hotel from home by phone about this the next day, and the genenral manager did phone me back and apologise. He also offered us a free two night stay which I initially accepted, but subsequently declined. I feel I just do not want to go back to that hotel again, where, in spite of any pleasant, smiling, outward appearance the staff may display, I'd be wondering what they really thought of me. A hotel to cross off the list as far as I'm concerned. And my experience in the Gray d'Albion would certainly put me off staying at any other hotels in the Lucien Barriere group.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 200MikeG
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Dear 200MikeG, Dear Doctor G,

After our phone conversation of October 2st and the mail I sent to you on the 22nd, please again accept my apologies for the trouble you got with one member of my team on your departure.

Fortunately, the rest of your stay was pleasant as you wrote it on your comment. The invitation I sent you after our talk, that you accepted through a quick reservation two days after receiving my mail, and you cancelled later, was a garantee of our constant engagement for a quality of service worth the image we wish to give of our hotel and I deeply regret that this incident left you with this bad impression, despite all our efforts to avoid it.