“A warm welcome - but an unpleasant sting in the tail” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion

Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion
Ranked #8 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Dartford, England, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome - but an unpleasant sting in the tail”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

A seemingly very pleasant hotel in a good location, with good facilities. We received a warm welcome form the receptionist on arrival, and the restaurant staff at breakfast were welcoming each morning too. All very smart accommodation, and very clean. We did not sample the restaurant for lunch or dinner, nor the bar, so can't comment on those aspects. On our last day the hotel was happy to store our luggage during the day, as we had a late evening flight back to the UK from Nice Airport. They even offered us a room to change in before our journey home if we wished. However, on returning to the hotel late afternoon to collect our bags, things went rapidly downhill. I showed the concierge the ticket the porter had given me for our bags in the morning, and asked if we could use the toilet first. He looked down his nose at us, and, very sniffily, asked if we were guests of the hotel (in spite of having just shown him a ticket for our bags). He treated us as if we were common people who had had the nerve to come into his smart hotel and ask to use his toilets. When I pointed out the situation he rather ungraciously said we could use the toilets on the first floor (you need a swipe card room key to use the ones behind the ground floor bar) You also need a swipe card to be able to use the lifts, so he was expecting us to use the stairs, in spite of my wife having a disability and using a walking stick (which was plain to see) to aid her mobility. When I pointed this out to the concierge, the porter who was also there, offered my wife his staff pass key which allowed us to use the ground floor facilities. Not a pleasant experience with the concierge at all. I spoke to the hotel from home by phone about this the next day, and the genenral manager did phone me back and apologise. He also offered us a free two night stay which I initially accepted, but subsequently declined. I feel I just do not want to go back to that hotel again, where, in spite of any pleasant, smiling, outward appearance the staff may display, I'd be wondering what they really thought of me. A hotel to cross off the list as far as I'm concerned. And my experience in the Gray d'Albion would certainly put me off staying at any other hotels in the Lucien Barriere group.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 200MikeG
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear 200MikeG, Dear Doctor G,

After our phone conversation of October 2st and the mail I sent to you on the 22nd, please again accept my apologies for the trouble you got with one member of my team on your departure.

Fortunately, the rest of your stay was pleasant as you wrote it on your comment. The invitation I sent you after our talk, that you accepted through a quick reservation two days after receiving my mail, and you cancelled later, was a garantee of our constant engagement for a quality of service worth the image we wish to give of our hotel and I deeply regret that this incident left you with this bad impression, despite all our efforts to avoid it.

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Hebrew first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

My 4th time staying here. I travel for business to Cannes and have stayed at The Carlton and The Martinez, supposedly the best hotels in Cannes. If your an average guest and are placed in an average room in those hotels - no big deal at all. GDA is no frills but very comfortable and very French. The rooms are not large but they are comfortable. The balconies make the experience. If you want comfort and location this is a great place to be.

Room Tip: High floor with balcony facing east
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
François P, General Manager at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Passagemaker,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction on the TripAdvisor website, and tell you that I do really appreciate it.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image my team and myself wish to give of our hotel, it is certain that your letter pushes us to continue our work as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s efforts contribute to make our guests’stay pleasant.

Eynsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a lovely location, but has a lack of hospitality - toiletries are bolted to the wall in the bathrooms, and the the tea and milk in the bedrooms is in powder form. The rose smell in the lobby is overpowering, and bar prices inflated beyond the usual Cannes norm. Needs to try harder.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Lucy T
Dear EynshamPrincess,

This answer to inform you that I carefully read the comment you wrote ont The TripAdvisor site after your stay at the Gray d'Albion Hotel.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I regret that the the best value for money you were given has not been up to your expectations.

I want you to know that we consider your comments very seriously and use them to take the necessary steps to improve and reach an irreproachable level of service, the quality of service of my hotel being usually held in good reputation, as our ranking on TripAdvisor can show it with a ranking of 10th over 134 hotels registered in Cannes on the website.

However, I hope you will still trust us, and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again. Be sure that my team and myself are trying harder !

General Manager.
Wetherby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We've stayed at the Gray d'Albion and the Majestic and whilst the Majestic is on the Croisette, the Gray d'Albion is virtually as good as long as your willing to walk 75 yards to the Croisette, however it's about half the price.
Only problem we had was the noise of someone scrapping chairs on the balcony in the middle of the night.The noise seemingly going through walls like a knife through butter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul W
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Paul W,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction, and tell you that I do really appreciate it.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give, it is certain that your advice pushes us to continue our efforts as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s efforts contribute to make our guests’stay pleasant, despite the trouble you got during the night with outside noises which disturbed your sleep.

I remain,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

A nice hotel, nothing special, but we had no complaints. We found a good deal for 5 nights b&b online and booked a superior room but on arrival were upgraded to a comfortable room on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking the central garden. It was quiet, everything worked and the bathroom was a good size. Free wi-fi was a bonus. The location is good for the beach, the shops and the station. We found it best to eat down by the port where there a plenty of restaurants. We recommend the short train ride to Antibes which is more picturesque than Cannes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear src1948,

This message to inform you that I carefully read your yesterday's comment you wrote on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Gray d’Albion Hotel this month.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I’m happy to read that the service you were given at the Gray d’Albion has been up to your expectations.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is the second year running we have stayed at the Gray. We stumbled upon it by chance last year and activly sought to book it this year as we had such a good time. The location is perfect, a short walk from the Station and a short walk to the Beach and Croisette. The staff couldn't be more helpful - nothing is too much trouble. It has it's own beach but they do charge for sunbeds/umbrellas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
François P, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear JazzyJonesCat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor website following your recent stay at the Gray d'Albion Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and be assured that I have expressed your satisfaction and your compliments to my staff.

Your sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked this hotel for a 4 day stay, through Secret Escapes, it was great, the staff were lovely and it was centrally located near to the Croisette & the main shopping street, well within walking distance to the old town and lots of lovely restaurants.
The staff were really helpful and polite, the minibar is a little expensive, but thats fairly normal for a hotel of this standard, there was a kettle in the room which was a great as we like our tea and coffee.
The bed in our room on the 4th floor was massive and so so so comfortable, a pleasure to sleep in :-)
It was also my birthday on our first day, and the housekeeping staff noticed my birthday cards in the room so they left me a card and a small present of sweets in the room to wish me a happy birthday from the hotel which i thought was really lovely of them.
Checkout time was 12.00pm which is lovely.

Overall a lovely hotel with lovely staff and i would recommend it to anyone visiting Cannes

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BJ-AV-UK,

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give, it is certain that your very positive comments push us to continue our efforts as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s efforts contribute to make our guests’stay pleasant.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at the Gray d’Albion Hotel,

I remain,