“A big improvement.”
Review of JW Marriott Cannes

JW Marriott Cannes
Ranked #14 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The grand hotels along the Croisette have beautiful facades, but once you get inside them you'll discover they vary greatly in terms of quality, comfort and amenities. This particular hotel has changed owners several times in recent years. I stayed here during a recent conference and was impressed. It has been improved greatly now that it is a JW Marriott. Another reviewer mentioned that this property is more like a W than a JW Marriott. That is accurate. Here's the thing: this building is a horrible 1970s structure that never should have been built on the Riveria in the first place. JW Marriott has done the best they could with an ugly building. That said, the rooms are generous for France, and most of them are on the quiet side of the street. In each room you will find relatively comfortable beds with nice linens, a sitting area, a desk and a nicely redone bathroom with marble tile. I found the room very quiet and relaxing after a busy day of work. The service staff are professional and eager to help you. Generally I prefer the Majestic Barrierre Hotel when I travel to Cannes but if you can't get a room there, then this is an acceptable alternative.

Room Tip: High floor is better because there may be some traffic noise on the street at night.
1  Thank Superplex
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Cannes

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The highlight of staying here is breakfast. The food is fine but it is the outdoor decked-setting perched on the edge of the Med that makes it. I have only ever come to Cannes for work so, ahead of busy days, sitting here taking in the early part of the day, with cruise ship or two parked in the distance and La Croissette coming to life, is quite peaceful.
The hotel has many large pictures of European and US film stars throughout. Last year I had a giant Bridget Bardot staring down over my bed and this year Sophia Lauren followed me with her eyes as I moved about. The bathrooms are modern, which is a plus compared to stories I've heard about other hotel bathrooms in Cannes. A colleague stayed in one of the suites on the sixth floor and was very happy.
Like everything hereabouts, things are expensive and I'm not sure I'd recommend coming here if you were on a budget holiday.
Jessica on the front desk was very nice and the Madame for breakfast was always welcoming and sunny.
PS. Another place where Internet access should be included. It's expensive.

Room Tip: Things can go late and loud at the Grand next door.
1  Thank Baladwino
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed 3 nights with my husband on a business trip. The room was well furnished and clean although the decor a little mustard for my taste. We were located on the top floor which meant that it was a little noisy when they were moving furniture around on the terrace floor above us.

We ate in the hotel on 2 of the 3 nights and paid well over the odds for a ribeye steak in the JW Grill that was ordered blue and arrived well done at one end and medium at the other. The following night we were served a fridge-cold house brick of preserved duck followed by the driest, most overcooked hunk of veal I have ever experienced - so much so that no one on our table was able to cut through it and eventually all gave up and ate the bread rolls instead! The over-priced american breakfast included the worst scrambled eggs I have ever eaten - hard, rubberised and leaching clear water across the plate; the bacon had not a drop of moisture left and the sausages could kill a man at twenty paces. I was not once offered boiled, fried or poached eggs so I'm guessing that what was congealing in the trays was all that was on offer; the juice was not fresh and the waitress tried to give my Kindle and sweeteners to a random departing guest despite the fact that she had just served my tea not 2mins previously and saw me get up to serve myself from the buffet.

The room service menu was pitifully limitied and unimaginative for a 5 star hotel and don't believe the staff when they tell you that the cheapest taxi to Nice Airport is 90 Euros - the taxis in the rank opposite the hotel will take you for 70!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Very nice hotel in a wonderful location. It has a great terrace serving food and drinks and the bedrooms are clean and modern. The restaurant is pricey but so is everything else in Cannes so no surprises there. Would stay again for the great location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was my second stay here. When I first stayed there this hotel was just acquired by marriott, and I hoped that with more time, they would bring this hotel to the JW Marriott standard. They have not. There were a series of minor issues that I simply do not expect at a JW marriott. First, what I liked about the htoel:

1. Great location, you can walk everywhere in Cannes
2. Almost every staff member I met was friendly
3. While there is no concierge lounge, platinum members get free breakfast, and the breakfast is pretty good.
4. Free wifi for platinum members

issues that prevent me from giving this hotel a higher rating
1. Almost every day, when I was seated for breakfast, I had to wait 5-10 minutes for the waitress to notice me. I believe professionally run places have a process where the hostess who seats you, finds your server and points you out to them.
2. Twice at night when I needed to get a key to my room, I had a wait for a long time. The first time, there was someone standing there who said the receptionist will be back in 10 minutes!. The second time, the concierge was behind the counter, and ignored me for about 5 mintes. When I asked him where the receptionist is, he went in the back and got her. He should not have waited for me to ask!
3. I had problems with the keys, at times it did not work in the elevator, and three times I had to go back and get a new key
4. The gym is ridiculously small for a hotel that has the JW Marriott name

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2012

First, if you are combining Provence with the Riviera; spend more time in Provence! There is far more charm and it is peaceful vs Riviera, which is crowded and less appealing. As for this hotel, it was too modern for my taste. No charm. Cannes is also not an ideal base as it is lacking in charm compared to Nice or St: Paul de Vence. The staff here was fine and spoke good English. Street noise can vary: We were in two different rooms. You do have beach access and there are plenty of restaurants nearby in walking distance. Cost was high at about 225 for what you get.

Room Tip: Take a higher room to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Awful servise, chewing gums on chairs in the lobby bar, nobody wants to be responsible for mistakes, concierge tryed to get a bribe for calling a taxi,when we checked out they just even couldn`t explain why money from the credit card were charged 3 times!Staf is very rude and inhospitable. It is a five star hotel with 500 euro price per night?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple