“Scallops and Chardonnay (??) Dinner- Classy”
Review of Carlton Restaurant

Carlton Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 857 Restaurants in Cannes
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: All year, the Carlton Restaurant and its famous terrace, which you will be able to enjoy when the weather is fine, welcomes you for breakfast through finner in a unique setting. Most restaurants owe their laurels to the annual visits of prominent food critics. The Carlton Restaurant owes its rank to daily frequentation by the most demanding of gastronomy critics - our guests. A school of constancy, work, and talent ceaselessly put to the challenge, but also discretion and devotion to a single goal: satisfying everyone.
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We often have a hot chocolate/ coffee on the Terrace here- expensive but always worth it since a) you get a couple of macaroons thrown in ,b) it has a great location looking out onto the Croisette and c) the hotel has a nice ambience. We had never eaten there until we saw the scallops and chardonnay offer for Wednesday nights at €49 per person for a 3 course meal, inclusive of 2 glasses of wine. Not only did it look very affordable , but I love scallops!
The meal was excellent: an amuse bouche followed by a soup of scallops , mushroom and artichoke served in a cup with a pastry crust on top. Very well done indeed. Main course was a brochette of scallops topped with chopped calmari and pine-nuts, risotto, some nice small veg and a foam. Again, well presented and tasty. I don't normally eat dessert, but of course you have to when its in the price- and this was very good with an orange mousse on a biscuit base with some white chocolate. Nice setting, good ambience and very good food all at a reasonable price. Great stuff!
Any downside? Well, there was one blemish.I asked the maitre-d (Or one of them: there seemed to be a few) what the Chardonnay was, since my wife does not like the heavily oaked style. "Burgundy" he answered. Great! Trouble was the wine waiter poured me a glass of "Clombard-Ugni Blanc"- which I refused on the basis that it was a scallops and chardonnay night and chardonnay goes well with scallops (not forgetting that neither Colombard nor Ugni Blanc make good wine in France, unless you want to distill it- and yes I know Colombard is better in California and Trebbiano can be OK in Italy etc etc). The wine waiter said he would look for a chardonnay (hard not to miss it on the wine-list I would have thought). He came back with a Vin de Pays D'Oc (Les Jumelles), which was decent and drinkable. He said it was the last bottle of Chardonnay they had, so I might as well drink it all. Since my wife hardly drinks much and I was driving later I did not take him up on his offer, which was a nice gesture. I noted that all the other Scallops and Chardonnay customers there that night were poured the Colombard- Ugni Blance and did not demur. I thought the lack of attention to this kind of detail, when they do this dinner every Wednesday night was quite a black mark for such a hotel (especially with the different proffered ,without comment).
Did it take from our enjoyment? No, it was a very good experience overall and we really did enjoy the food and the occasion. Just don't take your customers for granted in this way, though!

2  Thank blaenboy1

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Our last night in Cannes, we went out to look for a place to have dinner at around 6:30pm. We decided on the Carlton Restaurant but they said didn't open till 7:30pm. So we had some cokes and nuts at the lobby and were getting tired and very hungry. By the time we got our food we were happy we waited. Was great food and they literally waited on us hand and foot. Everything was good, even the desserts were amazing. Upscale but they don't make you feel like you're not good enough. Great last night in Cannes.

1  Thank alibeth
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We enjoyed the restaurant on a few occasions during our stay. The servers were very attentive and the food good. Similar to our stay at the hotel, we enjoyed it. Nothing particularly special or unexpected, but nice.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

The meal was delicious, I had the partridge. There was not a special menu but we were most happy with the daily offering. Service was excellent. We had a table with a view of all the Xmas lights

1  Thank Baltzan
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Food not particularly good, I would rather call it mediocre, although its presentation was beautiful

2  Thank Valux01