“Fantastic meal!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was my third time at the Brouette in a 10 years, during which 3 different set of owners ran the place. I must say, the quality of the food and the charm of the restaurant did not change during this time. First, understand this is traditional French cooking. Not terribly fancy, plates not decorated like at a 3-star restaurant on the Michelin guide, and honest service. This is authentic French food, and so if you are not really into that, then do not go there. There will be plenty of other choices. If, however, you are into that, then be prepared to have a great meal.
The concept is simple. You get to choose your entree and dessert, but the rest is just brought to you.
The menu was €38 per person. This might seem high, but when you see all that is included, it's not so bad.
The interior is very well decorated. Old typical French posters and various other decorations. Very typical French. We sat and shortly after, were brought two flutes of champagne, some terrine (a type of paté), some salami, and a very nice mixed salad, served with a vinaigrette. I must disagree with a previous reviewer, as I thought the dressing was just fine. Not too much, and flavorful. Following was a small amuse-gueule, which was a creamy vegetable soup served in a shot glass. Then followed a slice of smoke salmon, served with a drizzle of dill olive oil, and accompanied by a glass of vodka! Wow, that was great!
For the entree, I selected the leg of lamb. We came on a Sunday, and in France, leg of lamb is a traditional meal, so I went with it. My daughter chose the same, and my wife chose a pork tenderloin, served with a Camembert sauce. It was served with a gratin Dauphinois (potato gratin). For drinks, we had a bottle of red wine, which was part of the deal. Each person gets 1/2 bottle of wine (or soda) with the menu.
For dessert, I chose a chocolate mousse, my daughter an apple tart, and my wife a pear, poached in wine, and served with ice cream.
The quality of the food was fantastic. The restaurant is owned by a couple, with the wife running the service, and the husband running the kitchen. I had a chance to speak with him briefly, and I can tell that there is passion in his heart when it comes to cooking, and it shows in his food. Again, it is simple food, but it is good! Great food is not all about presentation, style, etc. It is all about flavor, and at the Brouette, that is exactly what you will get: flavor.
All in all, a great concept. It was fun, the food was marvelous, the service attentive, and the price quite reasonable given the amount of food and drinks we were served.
There are only two people running both the inside and outside, so please do not go there in a hurry. Just be patient, enjoy the food, and have a great time! I will undeniable return for more! Enjoy!!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

It has been more than 20 years since my family visited this "hidden" jewel of a restaurant for the first time, and since then it has been numerous visits. At least once a year we come back here. The food is authentic provencale, the staff and owners are genuinly interested in making the evening special for all the guests, and the prices are good to.

I would recommend everyone who visits Cannes to eat at least one meal here!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were lucky to get a table outdoor without reservation but overall menu did not impressed me at all. First welcoming was impressive with the spend of the service. Salad deserved better dressings . Ok ı am not a huge fan of traditional french cooking but overall the menu is lacking the taste complementing each other. Sparking wine, vodka and wine in the set menu was just too much for me. The beef my husband tried was ok but the codfish ı tried was tasteless. Desserts were very average ( chocolate mousse and Apple pie). Kids really enjoyed the been but the portions were small and it is not appropriate to serve frozen sorbet that is sold in the supermarkets for less than 1 Euro as dessert for kids. Since we sat outdoor the service was also very Slow.

1  Thank Emel A
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have never reviewed anywhere before and certainly hadn't check out this restaurants credentials before visiting but instead wandered past in the search for dinner one evening and liked the busy vibe so returned later for a table for 2. Although slightly dubious about a set menu, couldn't have been more wrong. What a treat to be just fed and yet to have a great choice on the mains. The service, the friendly hosts, the food and the atmosphere made it a fantastic find for us, so much so that we returned with 6 of our friends the following evening as we knew they'd love it versus la croisette! Keep on doing what you're doing, absolutely loved it.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The owner of our hotel (Hotel Pruly) advised us this great little restaurant.

The concept is just great; you go and sit at a table, and the food and drinks start coming. There is just 1 menu with 4 or 5 choice for main plate and for desert.

If i remember well, we paid € 38 pp for: 2 starters, main, desert, 0.5l wine and a vodka shot per person.

The food is really well prepared and we never had long waiting times for the food.

We stayed 4 nights in Cannes and we went 2 times!!