“A nice location for a quick lunch”
Review of La Fregate

La Fregate
Ranked #527 of 821 Restaurants in Cannes
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Newcastle
“A nice location for a quick lunch”
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a quick lunch here which was quite enjoyable. It wasn't 5 star but that was not what we were expecting or wanting but the food was quite reasonable and the house wine acceptable and the atmosphere and location was exactly what we were wanting. It may have been a different experience if our waiter had not of speak reasonable English as none of the other waiters did.

Visited September 2013

Cannes, France
“Mon dieu - the ANGRY waiter!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

OK - I NEVER write reviews, but I just had a meal where the waiter was... angry!

I don't know what when wrong - but by ordering from the man who took my drinks order I obviously insulted him in some way I could not understand - I even asked him if it was bad that I had ordered - but he was so angry he couldn't answer me. I kept thinking I must be imagining it - and kept trying to get him to warm up - but no - he was in a total rage from that point on until I left..

It was actually rather an unpleasant experience - especially as I was on my own - which was a shame because the food was good brasserie fare - and I could see all the other waiters having a nice time with their tables. SO don't get me wrong - it isn't a bad place - but god, this one guy...

So be warned - if you get the guy with the shaved head - it could get nasty!

• Visited October 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Late Night Food Joint”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

You know how it happens - even in Europe, sometimes you just can't get out early enough to eat dinner before restaurants begin to shut down, even when their normal closing is 2230. Because we are late eaters, we've been wanting to try La Fregate. And, it's only a very few steps away from our place. So, out we went, at 2230, after one very hot day at the plage.

Upon arriving, we were happily greeted. Where to sit? Street-side inches away from the endless stream of cars, or slightly up on the raised wooden decking? As the heat of the day was still radiating, we chose the street-side. At least the cars stirred up some air movement. Odd thing about places here - there are no fans anywhere to be seen - or enjoyed.

We had researched menus earlier, wishing to find a very good steak au poivre. La Fregate has three to choose from: 200g, 400-500g, and another dish which is similar. We chose the smaller steak, with a separate salad to go with it. We share our meals, so this seemed like a good combination. At almost 18 euro for the steak, it wasn't cheap, but could be well worth it. For an additional 1 or 2 euro, you get to choose the type of sauce. We chose creamy au poivre, the other choices being Roquefort and possibly bernaise. This turned out to be a great choice.

The steak arrived, with frittes (French fries) and a small salad also on the plate. We also received a large (dinner) plate with the other salad. The very creamy au poivre included whole cooked peppercorns. As creamy au poivres go, this was pretty good. The steak itself was another story. It was gristle-y, with alot of fat as well on this small, 1/2 inch thick slice. Finding a pleasant piece was almost impossible. We asked - and received - an additional small amount of au poivre, as we like to use it on the fries. This was a great combination.

The salad was accompanied by slices of white onion, tomato, and a combination of lettuce greens. Overall, it was lifeless, oozed with dressing, and the tomatoes had not been carefully prepared - bits of the stem had not been cut out of their tops. One of the worst salads we've had in the area.

Overall, service was pleasant, yet unremarkable. If not for the very good au poivre and fries, this review would have netted two dots, not three. A way to think about food quality here is that it is an American restaurant trying to be French, catering to the non-French, late night customers who just don't care that much about what they get. There are so many other wonderful restaurants to patronize here, even tho they are farther away - much. We won't be coming back and can't recommend La Fregate.

• Visited July 2013
Sundsvall, Sweden
“Restaurant with friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were at this restaurant several times during our stay in Cannes. The Manager of the restaurant, Frédéric, is very serviceminded and helpful. The food is very good, traditional french. We like the tartar and the saumon!

We will return!

• Visited June 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Good value - nice location”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This restaurant services good value food. We like the terrace with street and see views. Quick, courteous service. The croque messieur and madame are good. Can recommend for a quick lunch. Loud music.

• Visited May 2013