“Don't do it!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #115 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Duisburg, Germany
“Don't do it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

My experience at the Claremont in July was positively awful. Yes, the location (beside the station) is great. Yes, Ben the manager is really nice. But these two points do not make up for how atrocious this "hotel" really is. First and foremost, the noise of the place was incredible -- I simply couldn't sleep. Music and voices from the common area and the street just resounded throughout the house. Moreover, guests constantly banged doors and played loud music in their rooms. Secondly, it is clear that the place went through some sort of renovation earlier this year but it seems like the job was only half done. The door of my shower was hanging from its hinge, the skirting board was half off the wall in my room and the bedroom door wouldn't fully close. Finally, the dirt. On the surface everything looked pretty clean but there were stains on my floor and on my bed spread. An old shampoo bottle had lodged between the sink and the shower and was covered in dust and I found biscuit wrapping under the bed. Yes the place is cheap and some people say that you pay for what you get. I personally have stayed in budget accommodation in major cities throughout Europe and nothing comes close to my experience at the Claremont.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Maury999

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

My partner and I decided to spend 2 nights in Cannes at the last minute. We found the Claremont Hotel as it was in a great location, close to everything. We booked 2 nights which happened to coincide with the Lions Festival so the place was 100% full. We were greeted by Peter at the Front Desk who welcomed us with open arms. He checked us in and arranged to have our heavy bags carried up 3 flights of stairs, which was wonderful. Newly renovated building so everything was looking great, in working order and clean. Not bad for a 2 star hotel. Rooms was small but comfortable. There is a comfortable lounge room on the 1st floor with complementary tea and coffee which was a good surprise. All the cleaning staff were very friendly and welcoming and were always smiling. All Credit to Peter (Manager) and his team as they made us feel very comfortable the 2 day we were there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Hotel had been newly renovated when I stayed one night with my boyfriend (early May)... We arrived in Cannes at night without having booked a hostel and this hotel was such a nice surprise. The staff was SO friendly and helpful, the room etc. was extremely clean, and the location was perfect (pretty much across the street from the SNCF train station and just a couple of blocks from the beach, very safe). They also had a nice little living room area, and they let us keep our bags in our room for the day after we had checked out. I couldn't believe how cheap it was for that quality/location. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whem
Cannes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Helpful friendly staff, the perfect location to access all that Cannes and the surrounding areas has to offer and homely, comfortable rooms, what more could you ask for when booking a hotel that lives up to its price tag. Excellent value for money, I reccommend this hotel to anyone looking for their home away from home while travelling through France.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Justin H
Aurélien T, Directeur général at Claremont Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you very much Steve!

We will be happy to receive you again, your friends or your family!!
Hope you enjoy your time in France!!
Aurélien
Travelling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed here for one night. Having read the reviews (after I booked!) I was terrified of even stepping into the place. However, what a difference!! They have just reopened and refurbished the whole hotel, actually still refurbishing when I arrived but this was quickly explained to me and I was told it was only on the upper floors and that I would not be disturbed. And I wasn't.

I chose to stay in their Standard double room with a shower and the toilet outside the room. It turned out the toilet was right next door so it felt like my own anyway. Everything was new. Hall and room Carpets, Shower, Basin and curtains. New wallpaper on one wall, freshly painted on the others. Even the windows and shutters had a fresh coat of paint. Tasteful new lighting too. The bedding was fresh and clean and also tastefully done. Even the shared toilet was new with fresh tiling and floor. I had a balcony in my room too!

They also have a lovely lounge area on the main floor, with comfy sofas and free wifi, which worked perfectly in my room.

Forget all the reviews you have read. The Claremont is now a NEW hotel and for the price and location it cannot be beaten! I absolutely recommend the Claremont Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve B
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

Ok this hotel is in a great location, but that is really where it ends. I know it is only a 2 Star hotel, but this is definitely a minus 2 Star. I don't mind basic by any means, but this place was an absolute joke (and it actually made us laugh - after we decided to stay elsewhere!). The poor guy on reception was actually embarrassed to be working there, and he did his best, but the place was filthy beyond belief. He said the cleaner hadn't shown up so he had to do the best he could by himself - in fact I think the cleaner has never shown up. The room we were given had a balcony, however the balcony door didn't even shut and it was side by side with another balcony, so security was literally out the window! I could go on and on, but take my word for it - please don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank brendaLondon
Paul L, Manager at Claremont Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
I am so sorry to hear of your terrible experience. The hotel has been closed since December 2010 and has now reopened. We have totally refurbished the hotel, public areas and bedrooms.

We have new management and staff in place and can assure you the Claremont Hotel now practices the highest standards and customer satisfaction is our absolute priority.

We welcome you to the NEW Claremont Hotel - Cannes

Travelers are raving about these Cannes hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

I tell you, stay away from this hotel!
When I checked in the hotel, I was informed that the room was not ready. I left my luggages at their storeroom. By the time I got in that evening, I was given a room key and when I went it, there was someone occupying the room! The reception had given my room to another person! I was left with no room and it was 10 o'clock at night and during a conference when ALL hotel rooms are fully booked! I had to go to Juan Les Pins to get a room that night.
The hotel was so unprofessional! How can they do double booking? The worst thing is, until now, they havent reimbursed me my deposit that I paid earlier!
Ph ya, when I was there briefly while waiting for my non-existent room, I noticed that the reception was filthy and dark. The reaction I saw from the faces of people who stayed there enough to show how run down and filthy this hotel is. One guest was so unhappy as his room was 'not good' he said.
I DONT recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business