“Terrible service/terrible food”

Ranked #181 of 843 Restaurants in Cannes
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stopped off here to eat on Sunday 14th July. It started off badly when the waiter dropped a bottle of coke all over my husband's leg and my bag without even an apology. The steak was more like gristle than steak and the salmon pasta whilst OK, was nothing better than I would expect a 10 year old to cook. We had to request the bill on 3 occassions and then when I attemped to complian about the delay the manager totally ignored me as well ! Give this place a miss, New York bar/restuarant near by much better.

2  Thank louise1967_13

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Up until the very end of the meal, I was ready to give this place a good review. My husband and I came here with our friends and their children and had a very nice time. Our waitress was really nice and did a good job catering to the kids. I also truly enjoyed my meal - a bowl of penne with both smoked and cooked salmon in a light cream sauce. I think it's a typical dish in this area of France, but I haven't seen it in the US before. We all had a great time eating, drinking and people-watching until we paid the bill.

Basically, my husband did not get a complete version of the bill before he paid it. After his card was charged, he noticed that he was charged an extra 28 EURO for no reason. It was for a few extra kids' meals even though it was pretty obvious how many kids were actually with us. First he was told that the owner personally drew up the bill/charged the card and never makes mistakes. Ok then... Luckily, our friend was there to help and spoke to him in French. For some reason, they were not able to do a partial refund on the card, but did give my husband 28 Euros in cash.

Based on some of the other reviews here, I see we were not alone in our bad experience. It's really a shame because we were having a nice time, but left with a bad taste in our mouths for no reason. Maybe they do this a lot and get away with it? We may not speak French, but we're not stupid!

2  Thank SJC1020
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very centrally located, nice terrace and friendly service (at least in French). A nice place to have a drink and watch people passing by and relax during a warm and sunny day in Cannes. Seems to be very popular among locals as well.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Normally I don't write reviews on Tripadvisor, however this so-called restaurant deserves a review. However; it's not a very positive review.

We ordered several dishes, including Chateaubriand for 2-persons (which was on the menu), however the waitress (who hardly spoke English, or didn't want to do any effort for it) tried to sell us something else, which we clearly didn't want.

The waitress (a young blonde female) apparently didn't feel much like working. She was very, very negative and unfriendly. She reacted very frustrated when we tried to order, almost hostile! We made an official complaint after we had diner, however she only came back to say "Sorry" (like she was forced to say that).

The food in general was mediocre, but really nothing special. And when you include the terrible and very unfriendly service, we really cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone. For your information even at McDonald's (which is located next to this restaurant) you get better food and far better service!

We had a very good experience in Cannes the day before with another restaurant in the same street as where this restaurant (Le Grand Cafe) is located and we would advice everyone to go there instead of this restaurant. Instead of going to Le Grand Cafe you will be way better of at New York Restaurant (2 or 3 buildings further down). Better food and way better service.

Our recommendation: avoid Le Grand Cafe at all costs! And two thumbs down for their so-called "service".

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were visiting Cannes with our two young children aged 4months and just over 2years when we came across Le Grand Cafe. The menu looked reasonable considering the prime location, there were many people eating and there plenty of spare seats which is something we looked for as we had a pushchair and pram. Whilst we were waiting to be served the waiter (although probably the owner/manager) who quickly seated a couple in front of us appeared to ignore us as he continued to find anything to do except seat us. This including tidying menu's and starting chit chat with people eating 3ft in front of us. Once we were finally dealt with he started to look for a table for us to sit at which there were literally dozens all of over the place which were perfect. But he took another 3-4mins looking and then shrugged his shoulders to say I can't seat you. It was very clear he didn't want our business and I expect it was down to having two young children! As we walked away he continued to seat another couple on a 4 seater table! This was the worst service ever. On the positive note a few doors down a restaurant called New York provided an excellent service which we can highly recommend.