“Average food, pricey drinks”
Review of Le Village

Le Village
Ranked #33 of 250 Restaurants in Cagnes-sur-Mer
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We've been to Le Village a couple of times within the last years, so this review is not just based on one night.

I think it's hard to fail as a restaurant at this beautiful spot, the Place du Chateau in Haut-De-Cagnes. The view is amazing and it's worth going there just to enjoy the setting of the sun or to watch a few locals play a round of boule at night. But that is just the location, you can have the very same experience at all other restaurants there. Sadly, the owners don't really make something out of it. The food they serve is neither exceptional good nor typical Provencal cuisine. It's more a bland mix of what tourists may like - Burgers, Pasta, Steak and even Thai dishes are on their menu. None of the dishes really exited me, the Thai dish (noodles with prawns, covered in soy sauce) was even below average. No Thai takeaway in a bigger city of your choice would get away with a meal like that, especially not when charging € 15 per portion. I tried the burgers as well and they are actually quite good, but that's about it. The rest is average, nothing to get thrilled about. What really bugs me about this place is the funny mood there. As I said, I've been there a couple of times within the last years and it was always the same. You can't get rid of the feeling that it's just about making money. Sure, all restaurants want to make money, fair enough, but you should at least get a bit of a feeling that it's not just about money but also about passion for food or hospitality, no? Especially when you spent € 90, € 100 or more there a night. I never had that feeling there, it was actually quite the opposite. If you sit too close to the entrance you can really feel intimidated by waiters (and the omnipresent owner) standing there, waiting for new customers to come. The one thing that really keeps me away from there is their two-column-price-list for drinks. If you go there just to have a drink, you should be prepared to pay more after 9 pm for the very same drink you ordered earlier. A Heineken, which is normally € 6, so definitely too expensive already, is € 8 then. No kidding.

I'm pretty sure they will be packed in Summer nonetheless, as there are always enough tourists who don't care, but I'm definitely not one of them anymore.

2  Thank Ratso78

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Menu was wide and varied service was good and friendly. Good location lots going on in the square. Quality of the food was very good and the price was ok

1  Thank Ali H
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Arrived in town, and liked the reviews of this place, so e headed up the hill for a visit.
Found that the angels and demons festival was on, and so whilst dining had the opportunity to take it in as well.
Meal was good, a good size, decent quality, and everything came out nice and hot.
We were rushed a bit as we hadn't booked so had to be out by a certain time, but the meals came promptly and we were fed and on out way to watch the festival.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The nicest place we ate in. Without doubt, the friendliest. It had such a lovely atmosphere, which we appreciated having been to some other stuffy and unfriendly places. Could have ordered anything from the menu and not have been disappointed. I had a delicious burger and am looking forward to going back tomorrow for the Seafood and Avocado salad. They've got my vote and I'd recommend this place.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Ordered the poulet roti avec frites et salade...and wasn't disappointed. So much I Took home nearly half a chicken! But for $2 added the dessert - Tarte de pomme avec chantilly et berries. Bon! Excellent, friendly service from
Cindy and others.