“Quaint but comfortable”

Ranked #48 of 86 Hotels in Antibes
Pontlliw, Wales
“Quaint but comfortable”
Reviewed September 18, 2009

The type of quaint, quirky little hotel I would expect to find in a small French village but actually right in the heart of busy Antibes. Rooms are quite small but very clean and comfortable and there is a pleasant restaurant and bar. Try to book a room overlooking the courtyard as the street facing rooms can be noisy early in the morning when the refuse trucks and street sweepers are working. Service was outstanding throughout with very helpful staff dealing with bookings etc. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Brillo51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed in the relais du postillon mid-july 2009 and loved every minute! I have to say tripadvisor is always spot on, so having read all the reviews and wanting to stay somewhere in the riviera and not a big city, Antibes fitted the bill perfectly.

After looking at all the reviews, the Relais du Postillon seemed to be place to stay and we weren't disappointed. The location is perfect for Antibes - just off one of the main squares but not noisy, 1 min from the shops and lovely places to have breakfast and 5 mins from restaurants to eat in the evening. The short stroll to the marina was great, passing ice cream vendors a plenty on the way to look at the super-yachts of Roman Abramovic and countless other billionaires!

The room was perfect for us - very clean, not massive but had everything you needed (apart from air con which would have been nice). Also the staff could not have been more helpful - we asked for an umbrella for the beach and about boats trips to st tropez and both times they sorted it out for us free of charge and without hassle.

If you are looking for a place to stay as a base to exploring the south coast of france, which has plenty to do itself and lots of french culture, then Antibes is the place. We would definitely recomend Relais to stay - lovely french rooms, laid back atmosphere and very helpful, couldnt fault it at all. (free wifi was a great bonus)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtkirky
louisville ky
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The room was so very French and very roomy considering most European rooms. Bathroom still your usual small European bath but sufficient. Very centrally located-could walk to anywhere from hotel. All the cafes, the beach the boat docks. The owners Danielle and her husband were delighful and truelly helpful whenever asked for directions, where to eat etc. Great combination of a little of Paris and the beach. No internet but was given directions to best internet cafe. Usual continental breakfast of croisants, cereal etc-eat inside or outside cafe style. Does have a lift but only room for one person and one suitcase-but you will be helped to get your bags up. Also have mats and umbrellas for the beach. Delightful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank susangail
ireland
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This is indeed a charming french Hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The reception finishes at sometime around 11.00pm but you are given a key to the front door so that you can return to the Hotel in your own time. We spent 8 nights in an apartment in Antibes and as we could not have the apartment for the ninth night, we stayed at this Hotel. Antibe is a most fantastic place to stay if you want to access San Tropez, Nice Cannes e.t.c. There are lovely restaurants in Antibes and we particularly liked Le Villages. I would have to say that when I return to Antibes I will not stay at this Hotel. We were unfortunate in having loud neighbours who made excessive noise from shouting e.t.c. There was also noise from people coming in throughout the morning. I appreciate that we may just have been unlucky and the fact that we were probably very lucky with the quiteness of the apartment we had stayed in which was only about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The Hotel is located in a fabulous place and it has loads of character, it is just not for me.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank happyaslarryIreland
BC, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from May 29 - June 1, 09. We picked this hotel as a result of reading the reviews from Travel Advisor and were very happy with this hotel. The hotel is situated is a central location of old town in Antibes. It is in the heart of this vibrant town, close to many restaurants, shops, buses, the beach, etc. The hotel itself is in an old building that has been rennovated. Our room was on the second floor and had a king bed. The room was very clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. I would describe the decor of the room as quaint. We had a window that looked out to the main park across the street from the hotel. Some of the other positives: We could walk out our door and eat, shop, etc. It was about a 15-20 min walk to the beach. The buses were a 5 min walk. Our room was bright and although some people mentioned having a small room, ours was a decent size - I'd say a typical size of most hotel rooms. Everything was in good working order, the shower was fantastic, no bugs/dirt, daily cleaning. There was a hotel bar/restaurant that we unfortunately didn't get a chance to sample (given that there are so many choices right outside your door) but it looked good and there were always people sitting out on the front patio. The staff were friendly and helpful. There was a breakfast offered for an additional cost (a little pricey as always at hotels) but again, we just walked out the door and tried a variety of the other available (cheaper) breakfast places. I have to emphasize again that the bed was very comfortable.

Downsides were very few as there was nothing that would stop us from staying there again - but here are a couple that might bother some people. The bathroom was very small. Parking was difficult (no hotel parking). YOu had to either pay for parking in a lot or park for free on one of the streets - both were a couple blocks away. It was hard to find a spot in either option. We lucked out on our way to the hotel and found a free spot on the street. We ended up keeping our car parked the entire time and just walking. Really no need to drive. And there is a great bus system (cheap) so we used that once to head into Nice. No balcony but the windows are big and open up so we sat on the sill one night and drank a glass of wine.

Although it was just my husband and I travelling on this trip (left the kids at home with grandparents), there was a park across the street from this hotel with a merri-go-round and other things. It would be a nice hotel for families with children (especially young kids) since it is so central and with the park so close.

In all, this is a wonderful hotel and I would recommend it to anyone going to Antibes. I would also recommend staying in Antibes for a few nights if one is planning a trip to the French Riviera. One tip, we had a hard time locating this hotel while driving so I would recommend looking for this park (can't miss it since it has the merri-go-round). Once you find the park, find a place to park your car on a near by street and then look for the hotel on foot. Much easier...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cantravellor
altadena
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We did have a room facing the courtyard which was good for people watching but it did get a bit noisy. Bathroom great, bedding very good and comfortable which is important to me. Careful not letting the roaming cats get into your room - they have been known to pee. The vibe is old world and simply wonderful. Would totally recommend if you want a simple but lovely authentic experience. Also, the public, hourly parking is free after 7pm to park over night, they start charging at 9am- you CAN get a ticket the night before and put it in your car so you don't have to get up and race over there before 9- they do ticket...this was a great tip from someone. Also, we had cont. breakfast 20 steps away at an outdoor cafe for round 3euros- coffee, croissant and juice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xmasbaby63
St. Paul, MInnesota
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I was in Antibes to visit my daughter who was studying abroad there so my visit was definitely leisure. The owners and hosts were very pleasant and accommodating. The room was immaculate and cleaned beautifully every day (I stayed 5 nights). The location in Antibes was perfect--close to restaurants, shops, the marina, the beach and within walking distance of the train station. I only ate breakfast there one morning (8 Euro) and it was good. I did go down for coffee every other morning and the service was marvelous and they have a lovely outdoor seating area. The internet worked great down in the lobby/eating area. The room was small but quaint and charmingly decorated. My only slight complaint is the layout of the bathroom--but I had the least expensive room and the other rooms I saw had better bathroom layouts. It worked out fine because there was just me in the room. Overall, I could not have asked for a better place to spend a week!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo