“It's a -rahter rough- pub”
Review of The Hop Store

The Hop Store
Ranked #236 of 646 Restaurants in Antibes
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Based just metres from the Port of Antibes in the Old Town.
Juan-les-Pins, France
“It's a -rahter rough- pub”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was rather shocked by all the excellent reviews, which are bizarrely all people having one single review.

It's a pub, rather lively, but not a place I would ever think having a dinner. People are usually workers on boats that brag about how great they are. Staff is rather rude - pub is full anyway, why they should care?

Stop there for an expensive pint if you feel like, don't ever consider this for dinner.

1 Thank krotas

• Turkish first
Victoria, British Columbia
“Veggie burger needs improvement”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Their beer selection is good, but the veggie burger is essentially a bun full of tater tots. The atmosphere is kind of awkward and cold, and they really like showing music videos on their oversized screens. The service was alright.

1 Thank OnTheBallen
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Mediocre veggie burger, subpar atmosphere...”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

As much as I loved Antibes, I admit, it was not the most hospitable place for Vegetarians. This proved to be a bit of a trouble one night as my girlfriend and I traversed the town looking for a decent place to get a bite to eat. We stumbled upon The Hop Store and noticed that they had a veggie burger. What luck! We both ordered a beer and a veggie burger. The beer was fine but the veggie burger was not very good. It was essentially hash browns (seriously), a bunch of random vegetables with a slice of cheese thrown on top. In my desperation to make it more palatable I smothered it with mustard to little avail. The decor was not very impressive either. We were subjected to annoying music videos of the most recent pop hits which,quite frankly, I am not fond of. It took a long time for us to get the bill when we wanted to leave because the waitress was too busy being accosted by some local hooligans. All in all it was a disappointing experience and I am honestly confused as to why this place is rated so highly.

1 Thank JFo_1987
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could not recommend a better place to go”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having recently found myself in the south of france, I was recommend to try the hop store in Antibes. So I decided to go for lunch with some friends. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, I was told to try one of their burgers, so I did. I have travelled a lot worldwide and I can safely say is that it was probably one of the best burgers I've ever had in my life and the fries were second to none. We stayed for the afternoon enjoying the sun on the terrace, the table service was fantastic and made us very comfortable. We ended up staying longer than expected and ended up having dinner, a fantastic salad. Next we knew it was buzzing with a melting pot of nationalities, all there for a great night of live music.

I have been back to the hop store many times since, each as good as the first. I would not only recommend the burger to people, but also the great English breakfast and the Fantastic Sunday Roast. There are certainly no places that can match it in Antibes for not only the great atmosphere but the welcoming, friendly and helpful staff, not forgetting the food. And very few places on the whole of the riviera that can come close.

1 Thank SimonKS
Barcelona
“don't know what the fuss is about”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

It's an ok bar, but full of drunk yachties...a breed of their own. Food is ok, nothing special, staff can be rude...but its South of France so its normal. The quay down the road is a friendlier place....but still full of yachties!!

• Visited September 2012