“Not Recommended”

- bad location
- average price

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Overall the hotel is very nice, clean, good location. However, my short stay there was ruined by an unfortunate accident: my wallet and phone were stolen from the locked safe when I was swimming in the pool which was 3 meters away from my room. After 10 minutes of swim I came back to my room to pick up my phone to listen to music and could not find it (also my wallet in the safe which was closed). These items I put there before leaving to the pool. The hotel staff did not take any actions about it, neither I got any apologies. I was also told that no safes will be replaced. Next to it the safe was not digital but with a key (and a duplicate of the key was at the manager of the hotel)....so make your own conclusions. Hopefully police is going to make the hotel management at least to change the safes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Anya_Njuta
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We adore the Cote d'Azur and Cap d'Antibes in particular. Although G and G is not on the coast, it compensates in other ways. Nice well kept rooms and good bathrooms with one or two very good large rooms all with proper a/c. Easy parking, a lovely pool and a a super terrace where an excellent buffet breakfast is available. John is one of the very good hoteliers who is always pleasant, helpful and wecoming and his team are lovely too. good value and a quiet delightful spot.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The hotel looks cute with the swimming pool at the center. The staff is quite friendly, the rooms are very clean. I thought the rooms were a bit smaller than expected for 100 €, specially since Antibes is a small town. There was a damp smell in our room. Loved the little balcony attached to the room, though did not use it. Swimming pool also looked quite clean and fresh. Breakfast was good but a bit expensive at 12€ for what it was. Overall recommended, but check for other options at the same price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kcdnvn
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We have stayed here three times in all, and very much enjoyed the location, surrounded by the wonderful gardens and pines of Cap d'Antibes, within easy walking distance (only 10 minutes down the hill) to the beach of La Garoupe. It is really too far to walk from Antibes (about 3 km) but we were here on a cycling holiday and for us it was ideal, as we could cycle down to Antibes in one direction, or round Cap d'Antibes down to Juan les Pins, Golfe Juan and Cannes in the other, stopping off for a swim along the way.
We had breakfast here every morning and they provide a good variety of food out on the open-air terrace, a very nice way to start the day, with a good selection of newspapers, and we found the breakfast good value for money. The garden is beautifully tended and the swimming pool is a delight, on the occasions when you don't want to go down to the beach (in 2010 we had a jelly fish invasion and the Plage de la Garoupe was best avoided).
The staff at the reception have always been very helpful, accommodating both the bicycles and the dog. There was also free off-street parking, but also plenty of parking on the street just behind the hotel, and unlimited access to Internet on the computer in one of the rooms on the ground floor, but no Wi-Fi when we stayed there. The hotel is quite small and informal. It doesn't have a restaurant or bars where you can sit in the evening but most evenings we went down to the ancient walled city of Antibes for dinner and that was always a great way to spend the evening. You don't get a sea view from this hotel but really as soon as you go out you realise you are surrounded by the sea on all sides and the air is wonderful. It is also great for running, as you can run the 10 km circuit all around Cap d'Antibes, and that is one of the most beautiful circuits anywhere in the world. Would we stay here again? Yes, definitely. It is reasonably priced, in a unique location, and just a very relaxing place to stay. We also found the staff very helpful and had no trouble at all with any of our reservations.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank WilliamJo
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I booked this hotel in a panic as it was a really busy week in the area and lots of hotels were booked up. I was worried about some of the reviews, given that it is not a cheap hotel! I shouldn't have worried; it was in a lovely residential area (lots of fancy gated villas), staff were very friendly and room was bright and airy with two sets of windows and a little balcony. We were in the main building where reception was, maybe some of the negative reviews were about the rooms in the other building?
It's a good price for the area and there's free parking, which is great and the mini bar is very reasonably priced (again very unusual for this area). There is a really nice restaurant around the corner which reception recommended. I think it was called "Jardin du Bac"? A car is a good idea, if you don't like walking as most things are about 10 -20 min walk away.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Broni
Reviewed January 25, 2009

I am writing this somewhat reluctantly because it isn't in my nature to do so. However, our experience was so disappointing that I would hate for somebody else to have a similar experience.

After countless hours of research I thought I had found the perfect situation for our family at La Garoupe Gardiole. I booked connecting rooms with a small, private terrace. It was ideal for a family of two adults and two small children. I made our reservation in March 2008 for travel in July 2008.

We arrived at the hotel with great anticipation of the "perfect" place on July 15th. Upon check in I was taken to a second floor family room overlooking a busy road and with the hot, summer sun beating in. I immediately notified that gentleman that we had booked the family room on the main floor with the little terrace. I gave him the e-mail from Natalie confirming this reservation months in advance.

We returned downstairs where he busied himself looking at the reservations on the computer where he told me it "was not possible" to have the room we booked as it was already allotted to another family. What about the confirmation e-mail I asked? Still, I was told repeatively that it "was not possible" to have this room. This was despite the fact that they hadn't yet checked in and the room was unoccupied (they checked in later that day) He then further added that the family that had reserved the room came every year for the past ten years and that this was "their" room.

We were left with no option but to take the upstairs room overlooking the busy road with thin curtains that did nothing to block out the strong summer sun. It was a horrible night with the street noise and early rising sun.

The next day they offered us another option. We could have two rooms, side by side with little terraces. However, these rooms were not connecting meaning that either we left our small children (ages 8 & 6) alone in a room by themselves or my husband and I would have to split up and each take a room and a child. How romantic! Just what we had dreamt of when booking our holiday. However, we could not stand another night in the hot, noisy upstairs room and reluctantly accepted the offer of two rooms. My husband and I spent the next three nights apart.

By chance we had the opportunity to meet the family that was so "special" that they received our prebooked room. Unfortunately for the La Garoupe Gardiole, they were from a city only hours away from ours in Canada and spoke perfect English. I was quick to ask them about their yearly travels to the hotel (as we were told by reception) and they were quite suprised by the question having NEVER BEEN to France before much less La Garoupe Gardiole!! So, we had been rudely lied to by La Garoupe Gardiole. This family was travelling with two older teens that very likely could've handled staying in a room separate from their parents. Much more so than our two small boys! And, I believe that they stayed for only one day longer than we did.

They did offer us free breakfast for our stay which was nice. As it gave me a chance to reconnect with my husband from whom I was removed from the night prior. Fortunately, our young sons seemed oblivious to the t-shirt the young girl hosting the breakfast wore on at least two of the mornings. It bore a profane English message about boys. Tacky to say the least.

La Garoupe Gardiole was a great disappointment. We paid dearly for their mistake. I would NEVER recommend them to anybody.

To add further insult to a bad experience, in error we left behind our son's swimsuit when we departed. I mailed the hotel TWICE about this. I requested a reply back and advised that we would like to return to pick up the suit. They couldn't even be bothered to return my mail. I had to explain to my six year old that his gift from the Easter Bunny was gone. Perhaps I can take some solace in that fact another child is enjoying his new suit....um, no.

In retrospect, we should have found another hotel. However, it is a pity that one would have to do such a thing. I must admit that in previewing the other reviews, I am suprised that La Garoupe Gardiole hasn't even bothered to post a reply or apology to past disappointed guests. Clearly they haven't yet felt the effects of their disinterest in providing a positive experience for their guests. Give it time...

Unless you are hoping for great disappointment, do yourself a big favor and simply skip past La Garoupe Gardiole. I certainly wish that I had.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family