“Great service, rich food”
Review of La Marmite - CLOSED

La Marmite
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Rome, Italy
“Great service, rich food”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

When I ordered the entrecôte our waiter said "I know who sells me the fish, we must buy the meat from a vendor. Go for fish." That honesty and commitment to us enjoying our meal was an early indicator that we had come to the right place.

The crème de canard was smooth and rich and the entrecôte (I didn't listen) was so good I did wish I had had the fish.

The price was totally reasonable and the staff were lovely. Great place to go in Antibes for quality food at an affordable price.

Middlebury, Vermont
“Perfect French Lunch”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband, our college student son, and I just spent a lovely Saturday in Antibes, shopping the covered market, walking the old town and visiting the Picasso Museum. It was all wonderful, but the highlight was lunch at La Marmite. We had never been to Antibes before and went here because the menu posted outside looked promising. They had a 17 euro three course set lunch with some excellent choices. Though it is a fish restaurant, it has wonderful meat choices as well. For starters, our son loved the French onion soup, I had excellent duck pate and my husband enjoyed his salad with anchovies. For the main course, our son had steak with wonderful large fries, both perfectly done. My husband and I both had perfect trout, with tasty ratatouille, crispy broiled new potatoes and a finely cut cabbage side dish. There were three great dessert choices, but we all had the chocolate mousse. It was obviously made in house. The service was quiet and helpful. We could not have enjoyed our meal more. I'd come back in a flash.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank JMA07
London
“Excellent value for traditional French food”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nothing fancy, just excellently cooked French food. I had the loup (sea bass) which was perfectly complemented by the best ratatouille I have had in a long time.

Visited February 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant because it was recommended in the Rick Steves guidebook. Upon entering the restaurant and first viewing the menu we were taken back because the venue was small and the menu seemed a bit confusing as it was all in french with no explanations. However, we decided to try the three course meal and the waiter briefly described each dish. Everything was absolutely superb and excellent. I love french onion soup and try it often at various restaurants and this was the best french onion soup I have had. I also had the scallop pork which was also amazing. The sauce on the meat was fabulous. And for desert I had the cream caramel which was an excellent and delicious finish. Probably one of the best meals we have had since our visit to Nice.

1 Thank Suzanne R
Ketton, England
“Superbe”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

A wonderful little restaurant, tucked away in a side street of Viel Antibes not too far from the underground car park by the Post Office. Quiet, charming atmosphere, friendly, welcoming staff, and delicious food at a reasonable price (English restaurateurs please note!). We ate off the €25.50 formule menu which had a wide variety of choice. Our starters of moules cassoulet and soupe poisson were outstanding. Our main courses of fish and cordon bleu steak kept up the very high standard. This meal just could not be faulted and we'll definitely be eating here again and again.

• Visited October 2013