“Annual must-visit, perfect setting”
Review of La Marmite - CLOSED

La Marmite
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have been visiting Antibes for over 10 years, and La Marmite has become one of our favourite restaurants, and a compulsory part of every visit.

Food is very traditional, specialising in fish and local specialities and we have never yet had a bad meal. Generally the menu is quite similar year on year, and highlights include truite aux amandes, salade antibes and locally caught fish which is subject to the catch of the day. The maitre d' is really friendly and conscientious and always makes us feel very welcome.

We can wholly recommend it for a great meal, in a secluded street without the bustle of the square and quite an adult atmosphere, for a relaxed and memorable evening.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This isn't exactly 'hidden' as it is on a street with other restaurants, but the front of this restaurant isn't as big as the other restaurants in the street and don't let the fish drawings outside put you off, the meat dishes are great.

As the €16.50 3 course special is so good, it is all we have ever had! We always have the duck pate for starters as it is good, on the main course menu is steak, pork in a sauce, trout and a couple of other dishes. The steak is big enough and tastes just perfect, the pork is equally good. The trout, is often not available, but this is because it wasn't good that day or at that time of the year, it is that kind of restaurant, they don't serve something just because it's on the menu, if it's not good. The Trout will always be substituted for another fish dish. A special mention for the frites which are just amazing!

Dessert has always been Creme caramel as it is very good and light, after all the food we have just eaten. There is also fruit salad and chocolate mousse.

This is a 'go to' restaurant for us, because of the quality of food and the value.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Again, I had done my homework because I travel with a fussy eater and I knew I was going to visit La Marmite at some point during my holiday.

It is down a very small street with lots of other restaurants and looks from the outside like a greek house - white washed, plants outside and inside the first floor was wooden furniture.

The first floor was busy, so we were shown to the underground cave which soon filled up - some people I seen have complained about this but it has its own ambience, is clean and quite unque. There are many small family run restaurants in Antibes so sometimes you have to put up with not getting a sear on the terrace or out front.

There are two set menus a €23 and a €29 but we cant eat 3 courses and just as well - the portions were HUMONGOUS!!! My sister ordered Salmon - it was the fattest biggest piece of Salmon ever and it arrived with bolied rice and an extra piece of fish on the plate - It didnt look like salmon so I asked what it was - the waitress said it was an extra fish fillet as the salmon that day was small!!

Small???? it would have choked a small dog it was huge.

I ordered Entrecote with herbes de Provence well done - I got two massive slices of steak wth frites and a little side serving of rataouille. Was delicious.

With water and coke the bill came to €37 which was pretty good.

Service was quick and I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Fantastic restaurant visited in two occasions once sat upstairs once downstairs in cosy cave. Best food in Antibes by far!! Good produce cooked very well. A good notch up from all the others.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We walked past this restaurant as it really looks nothing from the road except just a door, but we liked the look of some of the menu items and the price was reasonable so we went in. Not a big room, but we were greeted by the very friendly owner (his English is better than he admits!). The fixed price menu 23 Euro, had a wide range of choices and the portions are very large.
My wife had terrine of three fishes to start with and I had escargots. For main courses she had trout with almonds and I had steak au poivre. Boith came freshly cooked, piping hot and well presented. Being piggy we finished off with deserts, evcen though we wre already very very full, Reasonable choice of wines, good house wine and very cheap Kir.
All in all a very reasonable meal in a very unprepossessing looking restaurant.

1  Thank welshtraveller42